#5 Devon Smith

He strikes me as somebody that really wants to prove himself.

I think he can bring a lot to the club.

4 Likes
Devon Smith says it’s an honour to wear No.5 at Essendon after move from GWS Giants > > Ben Higgins, Herald Sun January 23, 2018 11:30am >

NEW Bomber Devon Smith says it’s an honour to wear the No.5 at Essendon and revealed his brother could be more than a little jealous.

Smith arrived at Tullamarine after 109 games with Greater Western Sydney, seeking more midfield opportunities and a fresh start after two injury-riddled seasons.

The former Geelong Falcon was handed the famous No.5 after Brent Stanton’s retirement and follows the likes of James Hird and Terry Daniher

“It was a huge honour,” he told RSN927.

“Coming from the Giants there wasn’t much history or background with numbers.

“Even for me to walk into the locker and see Terry Daniher, Brent Stanton and James Hird on the locker and what they’ve achieved in that number, it’s pretty cool.

“My brother used to run around the backyard in his long sleeve on thinking he was Hirdy, so I think he’s pretty jealous.”

Smith looks to have got his wish for a more prominent role in the midfield, spending his pre-season with the midfield group.

He revealed former Bulldog Jake Stringer has also been spending a lot of time with the midfield group this off-season.

Smith said he hoped the move would be mutually beneficial - joking with host Jimmy Bartel about the increased workload as an onballer - and was excited about the Bombers’ future.

“I haven’t done any work with the forwards as yet. I don’t know how you (Bartel) did it for so many years because I’m a lot sorer than I usually am,” he said.

“Hopefully it’s a win-win, for Essendon and myself to play more mid.

“I don’t expect to play 80 per cent in there but as I said so far I’ve done everything with the mids.

“I’ve been really impressed with the work ethic of the group. They work really hard in the gym and on the track.

“If you look at the spine of the group - Hurley, Hooker, Daniher - it’s a pretty exciting list and I couldn’t believe how young we actually are.”

1 Like

The more I see of Devon Smith, the more I like of him.

I honestly reckon he’s going to be the best pick up of the SSS trade.

11 Likes

Concur

I remember when Fogdog said he wanted Smith for Ryder (maybe said the idea was floated?) I watched him with interest after that. Was absolutely delighted to get him, much more than even Stringer.

4 Likes

With pretty everyone i talk too (bomber & non-bomber supporter alike) he doesn’t really rate a mention, everyone seems so caught up with Stringer & Saad. Maybe it was his injuries, don’t really get it.

When i’m asked i say he’s the one i reckon will make the biggest impression and I am honestly looking forward to seeing him the most. Will be a hard nosed, gun player.

1 Like
4 Likes

Dwayne: “Devon Smith, will be signing a new contract to stay at the club”.

Hmmmmmm No.

5 Likes

Not sure about Colyer…

Not fast?

1 Like

Like the cut of his jib. Fantastic we got him on board and he will suit our style of play. I look forward to seeing him buzzing around the midfield and forward line.

3 Likes

Its going to be exciting watching this bloke play.

Incidentally (and perhaps, much to @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS displeasure), I overheard someone calling him ‘Devil’ today.

1 Like

How disappointing for Devon to be nicknamed ‘Devil’ rather than ‘Sausage’. You win some and you lose some I guess.

5 Likes

Should just call him salami. Right @bltn?

Devon gets a pass already for me for the utter contempt he’s show the media.

I hope he turns into our bill belichick

Q: In your past Super Bowls your offense has never scored a point in the first quarter…

BB: Thanks, Mike [Reiss]. Yeah, all of the negative stuff in the Super Bowls we need to be aware of, too.

Q: How much do you look at that history this week and try to emphasize it to the team?

BB: Look, we try to score in every game. I know that’s probably hard to understand, but we try to go out and score and keep the other team from scoring. That’s our goal every game.

Q: Do you put in any extra time this week or change anything to highlight that as a point of emphasis?

BB: I mean, what’s important is what happens this week against the Eagles. We’re going to try and score. We’re going to try and keep them from scoring.

1 Like

Remember when he shot down that journilst for asking the same question that he was already asked? lols

1 Like

Journo was like

5 Likes

I haven’t seen this but I feel like I should try and find it seeing as it keeps getting brought up.

Was his first presser as an Essendon player iirc should find it easily on the Bomber TV youtube site.