#5 Devon Smith

This is what I like about the bloke the most, our midfield now has a defensive side. Last year when a team one a clearance they walked it out of the middle. This year already we are starting to see a lot less clean clearances from the other team, which gives our backline half a chance to defend.

MCG, Darc, and even Langford added some much needed defensive pressure in the middle compared to last year when it seamed Zac was about he only capable of doing it.

4 Likes

It wonā€™t be long until Smith turns all the effort into solid result. First up game for a new club was solid, not spectacular. It was the sort of game that flies under the radar a bit of opposition fans, and some in here as well, but his teammates would all have appreciated how hard he worked. We already look a far more dangerous proposition in the midfield just through his presence, knowing that he will chase and harass, then harass and chase some more. Did l mention that he would chase and harass? He is going to rip a couple of games apart this year.

3 Likes

I thought he was better than solid.

Just the type of gut running, manic pressure midfielder that we have been crying out for for ten years.

7 Likes

So thatā€™s what itā€™s called!
Iā€™ve been trying to work out the collective noun for ages.
Google wasnā€™t helpful.

4 Likes

Was Saad. Phenomenal effort

Probably going to end up our best trade this year

1 Like

The work rate of this guy is phenomenal

2 Likes

I think itā€™s ā€œa Carltonā€.

5 Likes

Has a niceā€¦ring to it.

1 Like

With all his manic pressure he provided, it wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if he was in the top 3 b&f vote getters for the game. That kind of effort and performance replicated, is what can make us one of the better teams.

1 Like

that touch of Sean Denham

5 Likes

Didnā€™t have a spectacular game on Friday but had a good one. Had clearances and tackles. Adds the defensive component to the midfield that we have sorely needed.
Has had a good preseason and played well last night. If he keeps going he could be one of the best pickups for a while.

I dunno, It just feels like itā€™s missing something

Loved his game and itā€™s exactly what weā€™ve been missing, run, tackle, pressure, skill, ball winning ability and some class and dangerous around goal. Canā€™t wait to see him and RAZ running around together. OH MY.

1 Like

Heā€™s like a blue heeler, small and has the fantastic work rate of a border collie but is just that bit more aggressive and unpredictable when youā€™re in its area.

1 Like

Yet another failed attempt to turn a flanker into a midfielder. When will the Essendon coaches learn?

1 Like

To be honest heā€™s what I always hoped Colyer would be. Pacy, quick, skillful and works hard both ways.

4 Likes

not sure if serious?

I mean technically heā€™s a failed attempt by gws to turn a midfielder into a flanker.

4 Likes

Not serious