#5 Devon Smith

Conor the Silver Fox, raiding the opposition chicken coops till the early morn’.

Yep. Dev in the HS today.

2 Likes

Looks like he’s spent some decent time in the gym and bulked up.

His comments about Woosha were pertinent in how the coach backs the players. He saw that as a positive for his game.

And Draper is going to come back a beast !!!

4 Likes

can’t wait for this guy to be back.

4 Likes

Just thinking we’d have been top 4 with our b & f playing his second more integrated year for the red and black

He lifted the whole team defensively around him, he was also a spark that could ignite the Stringer Walla Smith forward show

2 Likes

Him and Joe are the only reasons I’m holding out hope for things to get better next year. Damn I miss 2018 Devon :cry:

2 Likes

He’s a very good player, but he’s hardly the difference between top 4 And 8th. Our first half of the season again is the main reason for not being any higher up, and Devon played last year and the same thing happened

2 Likes

He’ll be a bigger addition next year than Daniher. Very very influential and reliable player

4 Likes

He was only new to the team and still finding his feet. When he got on a roll so did the rest of the team and he was making a huge difference. He might have been the difference in a few games this year.

1 Like

So we’re screwed then? Cool.

Isn’t that your general contention most of the time?

2 Likes

Not sure I entirely agree.
A player like that has a massive flow-on effect.
Forward, centre…we’re not robbing Peter to pay Paul elsewhere.

And that’s just in skills and allowing others to do their own jobs better. That’s before you get to attitude and potential game-changing moments.

I understand that saying insert mid A instead of mid B doesn’t necessarily make an overall difference to the team.
But I do believe that Smith and of course Daniher change the way we play.
Change the way we’re able to play.

1 Like

devon brings something not many on our team have, his mentality is infectious.

5 Likes

But am I wrong?

Have we ever had Devon Smith and Fantasia both fit and firing at the same time? He has something that only a few in the team have and even fewer are able to show consistently: class.

He tackles heaps (something this bunch of softies lack) but can kick a classy goal and also rotate in the midfield for his 25-30 disposals as that link between for the midfield. I think Parish has stood up as that link between Shiel/Heppell/Zerrett and the rest of the team but boy Devon Smith helps and boy he’s handy on the wings.

6 Likes

The attitude and mindset he brings on field is contagious

We have missed him massively

7 Likes

25-30 disposals? He averaged 22 last year which was career best.
Did he ever get 30 in a game?

1 Like

Yep, had 31 and 11 tackles in a game.

In 2018 he played 22 games:

• In 18 of them had over 20 disposals
  • Lowest disposal count for 2018 was 15
  • Most tackles in the competition
  • Kicked 17 goals and 16 behinds

Is exactly that hard link up player between Shiel/Heppell/Zerrett that our all or nothing midfield needs for some consistency. We praise Parish and he did a manful job of picking up the slack (and you noticed how much better we played with Parish), but I’m really looking forward to seeing another hard running classy player to help bridge that gap. I think he’s been a bigger loss than Daniher, quite frankly.

1 Like

I’d be giving the Crichton to Zac Clarke.

1 Like