#5 Devon Smith

Knowing when to back your team mates to win the ball and get out the back is a skill, as is knowing when you can have an impact at the contest.

We need players that can get out the back to score goals with our rebound counterattack style. Having Smith in combination with Raz and Tippa and potentially Green will be great.

As long as those players that like to get cheapies are prepared to work hard defensively as well and pressure and harass.

Geelong were prime exponents of knowing when to peel off and back your team mates.

Terrible.
What a scam artist.

It’s funny how when your team does it and it leads to a goal it’s “wooohoo you beauty getting into space and getting a goal”. But when the opposition does it, it’s “why the frig are they free and not picked up?”

The outcome makes a big difference.

I agree it’s about knowing when to do it and to do it properly. You kinda hope that’s what they practice at training so everyone know what their role is. Though during games I do wonder what they’ve been doing a training as they seem stunned at times at what to do next.

4 Likes

Why does Wim hate Devon Smith, and cheapies, so much?

11 Likes

…

I played like nobody bothered to open my blinkers.

1 Like

Josh Green’s efforts last year are a good example of a confused (or stuffed up) plan. He was out many times, and instead of honouring the plan, the ball was kicked to a marking contest - him against some defending giant. Same happened to Walla a few times. This was not Green/Walla fault.

3 Likes

I also mastered (out of necessity) the apology wave to teammates that I burnt due to my, ahem, creativeness.

3 Likes

Highlight videos don’t tend to focus on a bloke gut running defensively to cover a man with nobody near him, or many defensive plays for that matter. Especially if the player in question has a flashy trick bag full of classy goals such as Dev.

1 Like

That was so frustrating, just needed a kick to advantage over the back.

Most tackles by a general forward since 2012
Player Matches Tackles… Tackles per game.
Luke Breust 144 583…4.05
Jarryd Blair 119 582…4.9
Paul Puopolo 128 570…4.45
Matt de Boer 100 564…5.64
Chris Mayne 117 539…4.6
Devon Smith 109 505…4.63
Cyril Rioli 102 483…4.73
Jamie Cripps 115 478…4.15

in order…tackles per game
Matt de Boer 100 564…5.64
Jarryd Blair 119 582…4.9
Cyril Rioli 102 483…4.73
Devon Smith 109 505…4.63
Chris Mayne 117 539…4.6
Paul Puopolo 128 570…4.45
Jamie Cripps 115 478…4.15
Luke Breust 144 583…4.05

Dawks have 3 on that list. Forward defensive tackles are very valuable. (I just wanted to see at least two Hawthorn players in the bottom half) :wink: Smith needs to recruit one or two others to get up this list. Displacing a couple of the forward defenders with our players is very possible.

Walla made the most tackles in the forward 50 across the league last season.

That was in a side where the ball was not in our forward 50 as much as most sides.

Only need another one then :wink:

1 Like

Rubbish, GWS came to use with a deal we couldn’t say no to Pick 11 and next years third for Smith, 24 and next years second. Opened the door wide open to bring the other two in.

Nothing the Western Bulldogs were going to offer would bring the other two in as easily.

1 Like

Try not to get to carried away with creative liberties journalists are prone too.

It was more the stats that provided the interest.

I love how Journalists rewrite history to suite the agenda of the day…

The Froggy chf play.

The old apology wave, beloved of forwards and drivers. Second in the hall of shame to the “I’ll point out someone not picking up a man now I’ve sprayed an easy goal”.

1 Like

Both well behind wildly celebrating a behind.

Insert fark Carlton kid here

2 Likes

Another beauty of a press conference from Devon, apparently Hirdy visited the club and wished him well in regards to Devon wearing the #5.

I’m so pumped to see him out there! He seems to have such a great attitude and has that perfect amount of Mongrel in him.

Apparently him and Parish got into a bit of a niggle at training.

8 Likes