6 Day Break - The Excuse

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that you never hear Hawthorn or Sydney or Fremantle talk about 6 day breaks ever.

Our club and coaches talk about 6 day breaks word for word. They put so much emphasis on it that players starts thinking it is a great excuse.

How can we forget that NAB cup game they missed because they were worried about this sort of bull.

Another is coming back from Perth. So when you combine both it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Young team like Saints come back from NZ and run us to the line. Freo can travel every second week and play in Preliminary finals and Grand Final and they are full of energy.

Hawthorn is playing grand finals and Prelims every year for like 4-5 years and play off 6 day break quite a number of times. They seem to perform and have no issues.

The moment I stop hearing about this from our club then I know we are ready to be a top 4 side.

(:slight_smile: This is one of the things which gets me going about our club).

We beat Hawthorn after they had a 6-day break.

Saints had 8 days from NZ and I reckon the trip to NZ is the same as the trip to Perth.

A 6-day break isn’t hard, but two consecutive ones are. You are playing 3 games in 12 days, not easy.

Yep… there is always an excuse.

I’m already lid on, but if we put in a poor show this weekend, against the mob that kicked us out of finals last year… then look out, I might type something really mean.

at least we know why we lost against North in advance.

All coaches talk about the length of the breaks. Every single one.

Its not an excuse, but it does play in to preparation.

I hate it being mentioned. Its not the difference between a win and loss

"It was an outstanding victory. Coming off a six-day break, playing Easter Monday against the Cats, which was a pretty torrid affair as well," Clarkson said.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/clarkson-lauds-hawks’-resolve/1mm7y1iznu5vl1oqahnmjlg3pe

"It's not an unusually short week. AFL teams deal with six-day breaks all the time and we've handled them really well," Lyon said on Monday.

"We don’t emphasise the short breaks, we just understand what we’ve got to do with them.

“Coming off a six-day break and a harder surface we went conservative with him and he’s fine this week,” Longmire said.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/02/longmire-happy-bring-back-five-swans/

It’s not an excuse, it’s an encouragement to the players to place greater emphasis on recovery.

Haha that is a pretty comprehensive slap right there carny.

Haha that is a pretty comprehensive slap right there carny.

And the OP needed it. All the coaches, & all the media talk about 6 day 8 day etc breaks all the time.

Talking about the 6 day break BEFORE the game is about reinforcing what needs to be done to prepare. It’s about having a professional attitude across the club.

Yep.

Screw Essendon.

at least we know why we lost against North in advance.

It’s very organised, getting our excuses in place the week before the game.

Governance.

Breaks and travel matter.
All coaches mention them.
And Hird is the least sookiest coach in the league.

To summarise: What is this I don’t even.

It's not an excuse, it's an encouragement to the players to place greater emphasis on recovery.

So much this. If you do everything possible in recovery it shouldnt make a difference to your performance.

Breaks and travel matter. All coaches mention them. And Hird is the least sookiest coach in the league.

That’s true.

In fact, if we win, Scott will whinge about how we were lucky enough to get a 6 day break.

Breaks and travel matter. All coaches mention them. And Hird is the least sookiest coach in the league.

That’s true.

In fact, if we win, Scott will whinge about how we were lucky enough to get a 6 day break.

Bonus round, Brad:

"Physically it has to be, we had a longer break, we were well prepared and I think the guys felt good.

Chris:

"Certainly not, no way. I think it's a really feeble excuse," he said.

The Scott brothers can whinge for or against anything.

Cite: http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/short-break-no-excuse-for-flat-cats/1fpma0g9wrt4310lslyzo601yj

so we’re having a dig at the club before we even lose? awesome foresight.

Not true… we’re threatening the club.

ooooooooooooohhhhh, aren’t we scary.

That’s true.

Bonus round, Brad:

"Physically it has to be, we had a longer break, we were well prepared and I think the guys felt good.

Chris:

"Certainly not, no way. I think it's a really feeble excuse," he said.

The Scott brothers can whinge for or against anything.

Cite: http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/short-break-no-excuse-for-flat-cats/1fpma0g9wrt4310lslyzo601yj

I still forget which one is which.

They’re both the ‘c*nt one,’ yeah?