#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Yeah, I understand where it’s coming from also.
Some old farking wannabe footballer trying to stir the loins of the macho viewer and be relevant.
He can take his stinking piece of ■■■■■■ newspaper and stick it up his ■■■■.

5 Likes
AFL 2019: Essendon forward Joe Daniher to play in Round 1 on modified minutes following 2018 injuries

In a major boost for the Bombers, who many are tipping to feature in the finals this season, Daniher will face GWS in the opening round. He played just seven games last year due to groin issues.

But after getting through the JLT Community Series, playing both games and kicking the opening goal of the pre-season against Carlton, coach John Worsfold said Daniher will face the Giants - as long as he recovers fully from training sessions over the next week.

“Absolutely (we’ll consider modified minutes). His program will dictate what he is ready for as we get closer to the season,” Worsfold said.

“Now he is on a program that we will be pretty strict with in terms of ‘prepping’ him for the whole year. So we will follow that in the lead-up (to the home-and-away season).”

Worsfold and the Bombers are well aware they will need to manage the 25-year-old in order for him to return to the heights of two years ago, when he helped inspire a run to September.

“The number one thing we wanted out of Joey (in the preseason games) was to see how he coped with full match play because he had done some match play at training, and it was ramping up his volume but at a higher intensity,” he said.

“He has pulled up really well out of that slow build, so that is the best part of it, and that was the absolute aim.

“He might explode out of the blocks (early) and be up and about because we know he is a talented player, but I don’t have that expectation.

“I want him to come out and play to the best of his ability and play his role for the team. I am confident he can do that, but that’s not necessarily kicking seven goals in Round 1.

“I don’t care if he doesn’t kick a big bag all year, as long as he is playing his role and functioning the way we want him to. But his talent says that is likely to happen at some point.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-essendon-forward-joe-daniher-to-play-in-round-1-on-modified-minutes-following-2018-injuries/news-story/303df6b934bddb99c6ec125fdddba298

I love Joe, he is my favourite player.

But surely we play Smack round 1 and let Joe find some touch, confidence and most importantly kick some goals playing VFL? I don’t really mind if that takes until rounds 5-6. We were such a better team last year with a confident Smack than an underdone Joe (I appreciate that other things changed). Can we afford to be carrying a full forward on modified minutes? Will stretch our midfielders who will be required to play increased TOG.

Just seems an unnecessary situation to put ourselves in when we have a competent replacement standing by (assuming Smack doesn’t play, which I doubt).

9 Likes

Perhaps we might play 3 talls

But def agree with your thoughts. If he is in the 1’s should be expected to play a full game. If an injury happens to another tall then won’t have luxury of him playing modified minutes.

1 Like

I think they could have asked Worsfold if he was planning to use the Flying V and he would respond the same way.

Straight bat defensive stroke.

4 Likes

Exactly.

People read way too much into this ■■■■.
The media is stupid and puts out a bullshit headline that doesn’t match what was said,
then people get worried about it

1 Like

277k in SC, Do I take the punt on the big fella.

3 Likes

The problem with that may be that Joey’s condition is not like most injuries. The ‘getting better’ part of it is over. Now it’s a matter of hoping it holds up under pressure. Will he get the necessary pressure in the 2’s? Maybe he needs to go full bore to see how he holds up, and by that I mean against gorilla back-men.

I’d hope Joe kicks a bag at some stage this year
He’s not in the side to kick 1 or 2 forever. Hes our number 1 forward. You’d expect a few dominant performances. Weird comments, it basically suggests Joe has a free pass for quite some time

Not sure it’s great for the side playing blokes on restricted minutes on the home and away. I did say Joe will never play VFL, but I’m not sure playing him on modified mins in the seniors is a great idea

1 Like

Maybe they are using the media to fire Joey up.

Will kick 100 this year.

1 Like

You should have more faith in your favourite player…

Joe plays round 1, not matter what. The last season he was fit he won All Australian Selection, Anzac Day Medal, Tom Wills Meda and the W. S. Crichton Medal kicking 65 goals.

McKernan has won nothing and kicked 61 goals over 11 years of footy. Earlier this year even Shaun’s own fanbase here were not willing to put their money behind him to kick 35 for the year. (except one I think).

Joey on limited minutes would still bob up and kick a couple and scare the crap out of the opposition. Plus, he belongs, loves the club as much as any other and will be a champion for years to come. He is the best forward in the comp on his day, bar none. He is our biggest match winner, and can deliver when it counts. Don’t need him being hacked down in the 2s by some wannabe… play him!

6 Likes

I vote we play him when he’s 100% right. Much easier to manage his minutes in the twos.

4 Likes

It’s not unusual for players to only spend 70-75% time on the ground, especially early in the season. Any less than that and i’d be a little concerned though.

He is not ready from what I saw. It does Joe no good to go at less than 100% fitness and it does the team no good either. Let him build up to what he needs to be in the 2’s.

3 Likes

I’d be astounded if that happened.

So limited game time …

What does that mean? What’s the cutoff point where it doesn’t become viable to effectively be down a rotation - 65% TOG? 50%? Normally the lowest (not including injury, just management) percentage would be around 65-70% wouldn’t it?

1 Like

If he plays on modified minutes in round 1 then the coach has failed in his duty to selct the best team…what happens if someone gets hurt then the team will be minus 2 …

If your not 100% to run out the full game then you dont get picked!

7 Likes

As i said above. It’s not unusual for a player to play as low as 70% game time. If they think Joe playing 70+% is worth having then they should select him. If it was lower game time than that i’d think it was a pretty weird decision.

2 Likes

yes but if he is on modified minutes he wouldnt play 70% as that applies to a fully fit player…

He would be lucky to play 50% of the intensity needed …

Bite the bullet and get the minutes and his confidence back in the VFL.

Chances someone breaks down round 1 is always high so as i said we could end up carrying 2 people or for a substantial amount of game or in the worst case scenario joe plays more then he should which could actually set him back!