#6 Joe Daniher - wants out of Tulla on the full

You realise that the most goals Lucas kicked in a season was 67. That’s the only time in his career he topped Joe’s 65 from his last full season.

You obviously didn’t see much of Lucas.

He couldn’t do the spectacular like Joe can but he just did everything well and made Lloyd a better player.

3 Likes

Joe is a FF, Lucas was a CHF who played with Lloyd as the dominant forward who took a lot of the goals.

4 Likes

Do you realise he kicked 470 from CHF and played a year at CHB and IIRC was AA as a CHB?

4 Likes

I realise that. I’m just saying It’s not a crazy thing to say Joey could be better. He kicked 65 in his 5th season.

I’m sad.

7 Likes

I agree , but Joe’s trajectory prior to the injury as a 23 yr old with 65 goals and an all Australian guernsey was higher than what he has been able to achieve so far .

The best way to compare Joe is to compare him to another FF, in the current era that would be Ben Brown, who plays a similar game to Joe. Brown averages 2.2 goals a game, Joe averages 1.8.

Yeah no argument there, it certainly was looking that way. But he is not better than Lucas at this stage and he is not a generational player yet either.

1 Like

But that’s speculation.

Lucas did what he did, Daniher had 1 good season, Lucas had 10+

7 Likes

Did Joey and Hooker not alternate between FF and CHF in 2017?

Hooker was CHF and Joe FF pretty much of the time.

I will agree Lucas did it . My boy is called Lucca Lloyd . My wife wouldn’t go with Lucas Lloyd . I really did think Joe was going to be special .

1 Like

Our decision making has been skewed because of the Saga. We have taken a responsible approach; Daniher should have received surgery last year, other injuries have allowed an extra week or two.
Success is not not measured on wins and losses over a period of of time, it’s premierships.
Conservative approach does not work in sports.

Don’t write him off yet, he still can be. Hird took a long time to come right again but when he did he delivered and plenty of players have overcome OP.

My thing on Joe has always been that he should not be FF, we need a proper FF down there as Joe is built to be a CHF, who roams and takes leaps and provides an avenue through to goal but has good long range shots.

Because they assumed our forward line would do as well the following year and we wouldn’t suffer injuries to our best players. 2017 was a freak year when Joe was fit and firing. Essendon is arrogant and just thinks that if they play the way they want to play = victory. The players and coaches crapped on this preseason about last years run of form when the season was already shot like it meant something special was going to happen this year. We don’t just drink our own bathwater, we bottle it and use it as cologne.

Is there a player who has overcome almost two complete consecutive seasons of OP? I can’t think of one. I feel like most examples it either comes good after the first substantial period off, or it doesn’t

Once again bullshit.

Worsfold is on record as saying that yes the run of wins was good but we lost to top 4 teams as well and so we have plenty to work on to get to where they are.

Brad Crouch.

How many have actually had 2 seasons of it?

Maybe Judd?

They’re the two letters no athlete anywhere in the world wants to hear.

To receive a diagnosis of osteitis pubis, more commonly referred to as “OP”, generally translates as a long period of time out of the game, off the field and into the rehab room.

In medical terms, osteitis pubis is the inflammation of the pubic symphysis, the joint that houses the connection between the left and right side of your pelvis. Put simply, your groin muscles will not support any physical activity.

AFL players are particularly at risk of the disease. Seasons have been shortened, and in extreme cases, careers have been ended because of OP. Nor does the disease discriminate based on talent. Champions like Chris Judd and Luke Ball and young stars of the game like Aaron Black have all suffered from OP at some stage in their careers. Darcy Daniher’s career at Essendon was over before it even began due to a diagnosis of severe OP, which forced his retirement.

AFL players are placed at higher risk for OP due to the sport’s high physical demand. Kicking, running at top speed and suddenly changing directions are all integral parts of being successful at the sport. Unfortunately, they are also the actions most likely to exacerbate the symptoms of OP.

Even training errors, such as exercising on uneven or hard ground, or in incorrect or unsuitable footwear can also lead to gradual build up of inflammation in the pelvic joints.

As OP is resistant to treatment, a careful and prolonged rehabilitation period is often necessary. Often the only way to combat the disease is gradual strengthening of the surrounding muscles and joints, aided by the use of podiatric footwear & physiotherapy. Unfortunately the average period out of the game is generally counted in months, not weeks.

Recent speculation has surrounded West Coast Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui’s future, as he battles groin issues. Not yet to be confirmed as OP, Naitanui’s high-leaping style places him at risk due to repeated minor trauma, as he lands after each ruck contest onto hard ground.

Local footballers are not immune. Spotswood Football Club captain Tom Langlands has played only two games in the 2013 WRFL season due to OP. He describes the symptoms of OP as “like someone is slowly pushing a knife up into your groin, basically every time you break into a run.”

Langlands voices the frustrations that sufferers of OP feel. “It’s not being able to walk at some stages, it’s not being able to stretch out at all. You can’t kick a footy, you can’t jog laps, you can pretty much only stand there. It’s a very lonely injury.”

Generally, the disease is diagnosed via medical imaging. An x-ray can reveal widening of the pubic symphysis, which is a telltale symptom. More commonly, computerized tomography (CT) is used to acquire a more detailed image of the bone structure of the pelvis. CT radiographer Kait O’Callahan has performed scans on several suspected cases of OP. “To perform the scan, the patient has to step up onto a table, and even that is a struggle for sufferers of OP,” O’Callahan said. “It’s a bit of a giveaway when such a simple movement is causing them such discomfort.”

As a keen tennis fan, O’Callahan is aware that the constant change of direction by tennis players, along with the explosive power generated by the service action, place them at risk. “Like any sport that requires such quick, sharp movements and the use of force through the legs, you are at risk if you have a long career in the sport.”

It appears that in recent years, the AFL is winning the battle against OP. Statistics released by the league in March of this year indicate that clubs reported 2.6 incidences of OP or groin injuries, compared to 4.1 in 2010. The number of games missed by players suffering from OP also declined to an average of 6.9 games a season, compared to a staggering 17.5 games in 2007.

The drop in OP-related cases can be attributed to a smarter approach to training. Clubs are placing more emphasis on careful building of the muscles around the groin area and developing core strength, which is leading to an improvement in stability and placing less strain on the muscles and joints affected by OP.

This is due to the AFL placing more importance on sports science-savvy medical and conditioning personnel monitoring the training loads of young players, as the league attempts to develop a higher sense of professionalism.

Unfortunately for arguably the AFL’s most exciting player in Naitanui, and other players around the league struggling with groin issues, it is cold comfort to learn that the incidences of OP diagnoses are on a steadily downward curve.

https://www.thedroppuntnews.com.au/op-a-devastating-diagnosis/

2 Likes