#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

I don’t care if they spend all of this season getting him right too. He turns 25 in March. He’s got a lot of good footy in front of him. Take your time and do it right.

5 Likes

What’s so special about round one? Joey could be flying through pre-season and then gets gastro or stubs a finger before R1 and misses a couple of games. Annoying and disappointing? Yep. End of his career or our season? Nup.

Spend the time to get him properly right so he can play every week. Rather than a busted up week by week proposition. Look at his record - he was durable and missed few games before this year.

11 Likes

If it was an acl we would be looking at 12 months. OP is just as bad. I will be happy with an April or May comeback

I feel as if everyone’s expectations are shifting.

I’m still expecting him to line up round 1.

His recovery is visibly progressing. I’m sure they are targeting having him ready for the start of the season. If he backs off at any stage, then sure, worry. But for the moment he appears to be building up his training in a controlled manner.

1 Like

OP isn’t “just as bad”, it is not that simple. It can be that bad but it can also not be that bad. There are levels with OP, from mild to full blown. Judd spent a lot of his career playing with OP as a constant, he still played and was still very damaging. We simply do not have the information to determine how bad the OP is for Daniher. Sure it appears to have been bad enough that he sat out the year, but there had been talk that he felt ready to go towards the end of the year but the club took it very carefully to avoid any further issues.

Just listening to road to the draft podcast, and Cal Twomey was there and heard WOrsofold live - ie audio from @Lance84 post above.

He just said that Daniher isnt a certainty for round 1 and Essendon are keen on getting him right.

I don’t mind if hes back a little bit later. Gives us a chance to try other forward setups.

3 Likes

GONE. RIP JOEDAN.

Could have been anything.

1 Like

What have you heard up there?

Oh right! Yes i’d much rather they keep him on ice until he’s a certainty to stay fit. We know we can cover him. The day he finally does come back it will be like being gifted a top 5 forward in the league. Will certainly bring a tear to my eye. (queue jokes about “when he misses 5 set shots in a row”)

1 Like

I find it a little ironic Club (ie Woosh) saying not sure if he will be ready for Rd 1, which would be his first game in 10 months. Yet we were happy to play him 3 times in 11 days.

when he comes back though hell probably have 15 shots on goal for the day so chalk him down for a 10 goal haul

1 Like

That’s a nice conservative prediction. Thanks for keeping the lid on.

1 Like

Serious question, and it does need discussion

How bad was his OP? Surely, surely if there is doubt over round 1 it was a fair bit worse than “early onset” because it seems from the outside looking in, this was quite serious

Is joe to blame for telling the docs “I’m right” (if that happened) are the docs to blame for doing things like not sitting him out earlier in the year, not letting him play 3 times in 11 day, or being more conservative?

1 Like

I wish i knew the answer to this. Crouch had it and they operated, now he’s back to sprinting. Does that mean he was worse than Joey because they had to operate? And if he’s back to running should they have done the same for Joey?

The impression i got Just from reading bits and pieces and watching media conferences was that Joe didn’t speak up in the early parts. That could be totally wrong.

Probably a bit of Joe trying to push through and a bit of the docs/physios/coaches not being harsh enough & taking the decision out of his hands.

we’ll never really know, btw.

2 Likes

yep, kinda how I think it went - regardless, hopefully it is a lesson that has been learnt by Joey to speak up, and for the club to be a lot stricter. It’s a cultural thing where you don’t want to pike out or let the boys down. But in the end, for someone that good, it did let the team and himself down.

Bring on 2019 to put his 2018 behind him.

1 Like

No idea how bad it was. But late june we saw him out on my birthday and my best mate went to school with him and was chatting to him a joey said hed be back running in 3 weeks. Wheather he was i cant remember.

The thing that is worrying me the most about JD is that his brother had to retire with pretty much the same injury.

Would we have kept Darcy on our list if he was as good as Joe Dan and tried to manage/work out his injuries?

Injury forces Darcy Daniher out of game

Mike SheahanNews Corp Australia

August 13, 2011 12:00AM

TOPICS

DARCY Daniher has given up on his AFL dream at age 21, his spirit crushed by an unrelenting run of injuries.

The son of former Sydney and Essendon player Anthony, Darcy has succumbed to a range of problems, including one that won’t go away – osteitis pubis and associated issues in the groin region.

He departs Essendon with only six games to his name since being drafted in 2007 under the father-son rule.

Oddly, the Danihers of the previous generation stand as the most resilient family in VFL/AFL history. Brothers Terry, Neale, Anthony and Chris played 752 games between them, double the next best by a set of brothers.

Young Daniher’s decision ends the dream of playing at AFL level with his brother, Joe, 17, who has committed to Essendon under the father-son rule.

He advised teammates of his decision last week.

“It was a lot more difficult than what I thought it was going to be,” he told the Herald Sun.

“The tears nearly came out. If I’d gone any longer, I think I was gone.”

Daniher hasn’t played a game this year and hasn’t appeared at AFL level since Round 4, 2009.

"I knew it was going to be a do-or-die year this year.

"I did six weeks’ extra work to get myself right and ready for a big year then broke down three weeks into the year when the o.p. came back.

“It starts as a dull ache and two hours after the session, you’re walking like John Wayne.”

I told him I was surprised he knew of the old gunslinger and he said all his physios likened his gait to the former Hollywood star.

"You can jog round at 50 per cent, but anything more, where you have to push off, you just can’t do it. You’ve got no power.

“I was going to retire before the season started, but the club set me up with a sports psychologist and I decided to give it a try.”

Injuries have dogged him since his first night at Essendon

"My first ever training session, I dislocated my shoulder, had to have a reconstruction. I tried to tackle Matty Lloyd, bit off a bit more than I could chew.

“It was purely my fault. I tried to tackle him and he just ran straight through me. I think I wanted to take down the captain.”

Daniher said he had come to terms with his unreliable body and wretched luck.

“It’s been a long, boring two years, I can tell you that,” he said.

"It’s pretty easy to talk about the decision now. I’m really happy at the moment, it’s what’s best for me.

“I could always sit back and say, ‘What if?’, but I’m happy knowing I tried my best.”

He will continue his rehab at Windy Hill while the Essendon season continues before heading overseas on a one-way ticket.

"A year off would be perfect for my body and would be pretty good for my mind as well. It’s been a bit of a shambles.

"I’ll miss going to training every day and catching up with 40 mates, miss running out on the weekend with all your mates. That’s the highlight, I reckon.

“All the guys in my draft (Cale Hooker, Tayte Pears and David Myers) are coming up to their 50th game. It’s pretty hard when you’ve come through with them and they’re out on the ground and you’re not.”

Essendon football operations manager, Paul Hamilton, who played with the four Daniher brothers, said: “I like him as a player. He’s quick, he’s strong, he can play either end … if only his body would hold together.”

Thanks for ruining my day :sob:

3 Likes