#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Not when he kicks them.

In all honesty, have you ever seen him miss a snap and then thought ‘Gee, he would have kicked that with a drop punt?’

Of course he wouldn’t have.

He is more accurate with the snaps, by a long way, so I’d rather he did that than kick points but looks ‘proper.’

6 Likes

He will be AA this year

The thing I’ve never understood is how a guy with a beautiful field kick can be so bad in front of goal at times. JD is not the first to suffer from it… but boy it is frustrating.

If you look at his kicks in play… he regularly delivers 55m+ bombs that hit a guy on the chest running at full tilt… but straight in front 20m out… and he shanks it. just weird.

Still if he kicks 3 a game it is a 66 goal season… I’d take that!

2 Likes

Understand the point, but don’t agree. The guy is still young. He’s hopefully going to be our FF for ten more years. He needs to learn how to kick drop punts for goal under pressure and not take the easy option.

Yes maybe he will kick more of the close ones from snaps then from drop punts, true. But that’s short term thinking. He’s going to need to kick drop punts long term for all of the shots he needs to take from more than 35 metres out. He simply won’t have the option to snap those ones. And when he needs to kick one from 50 metres out straight in front to win us a final, I would rather he has thousands of drop punts under pressure in the bank.

Bad kicking can be sorted out. Look at Buddy. Universally derided as a poor kick for the first 4 or 5 years of his career. Nobody would say that now.

The snaps are a quick fix. A bandaid on an open wound. Gives you the feeling of security initially, but the problem actually gets worse and worse underneath.

3 Likes

To make AA as a key forward you basically need to be top 2-3 talls in the Coleman. Will need 60+ goals to do that. With that in mind I’d suggest squad of 40 is more likely.

But he can already kick drop punts on the run from 50.

He kicks well from 50.

He doesn’t kick well from 20-30m out.

He does snap well from 20-30m out.

It’s a no brainer imo. I don’t see how it’s a band-aid fix. It’s a fix. It works.

I’m not sure what Joe has ever done that gives people the idea that his goal kicking will just magically improve one day. He’s as bad a set shot kick now, as he was in under 18’s. It ain’t getting better, so why not use the method that works?

BTW, have we done this argument before?

I might add:

I have said before that he doesn’t need to become Matthew Lloyd kicking straight as an arrow (and in fact I think it would be counter productive to overhaul his action completely in this way).

I think the stats show that the vast majority of the shots he misses to the right (ie he hooks it). So let’s work with that. Buddy had the same issue and worked with his natural action to create that arc action of his, which has been very successful. Why can’t we do the same with Joe?

No issue with on the run from outside 50. But is he a good set shot from there?

I think we might have done this argument before (we don’t disagree on much). I still think it’s a conversation with having though (and this time, I am even more right :smile:). Most people where I was sitting Sat had their head in their hands when he lined up for that snap in the first.

Most people have their head in the hands whenever he kicks at goal from anywhere, no matter how he does it.

I get excited when he lines up the snap, because it means he might actually kick the goal.

I honestly don’t see the issue if it works. Personally, I reckon he should kick at goal right foot, but that’s another story.

And sure, it’s a relevant discussion no doubt. I think his kicking always will be, unfortunately.

5 Likes

https://img.memesuper.com/7545db78193505a741f5fee2b72ba231_so-youre-saying-theres-a-dumb-and-dumber-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-meme_320-240.jpeg

3 Likes

This! Only looks clumsy our Joe, moves incredibly for a bloke that’s 8ft tall

It is pretty simple really, he likes to kick across his body. That kick to hepp was a perfect example. Centimetre perfect 60 meter hoof, across his body. That action doesn’t translate well to set shots unless you build an arc into your run up which he never has ( but should IMO).

His short passes are 20 metre stabs which obviously aren’t appropriate when someone is standing the mark in front of you.

People also underestimate how different it is to kick to a space for someone to run into than it is to kick for a stationary target. When kicking for space you are putting it to an area, everything is a lot freer and you don’t have to control the kick as tightly. When trying to hit a stationary target your action naturally becomes much tighter because you are trying to control the ball more. Now that may be a psychological thing but nevertheless, it happens.

Kicking for goal is much more like kicking into the congested corridor that it is hoofing out the back of a defence which is out of position

2 Likes

When his team mates don’t kick it to him is when we know we have a problem.

2 Likes

Really good game. 17 disposals, 3.3 and also played some decent minutes as a relief ruckman. We know his set shots are a work in progress, but you can see how much more dangerous he is with a better midfield in front of him and Hooker down there. Even though he is not a natural forward, Hooksey is a very dangerous player who commands respect, and that alone means Joey will not be double or triple teamed like he was at times last season. He gets more space to work in, better delivery coming his way. It can only mean he plays better and scores more goals.

3 Likes

I really reckon we need to use him close to an old school CHF more than anything. His kick is an absolute weapon, 60m easily, and he sees the game beautifully.

6 Likes

Oh yeah HAP, just wander back in here like you never left.

10 Likes

Yeah, about that.

Might want to get yourself checked out.

3 Likes

Welcome back.

Yes chf is clearly his best position. Those half volley collects and dishes on Saturday were awesome.

Pity he hit the post from the centre square.

If ever there was a case to ‘kick it to someone in the crowd’, you’d think this is it.

1 Like

This is exactly the point, in my opinion.

I don’t have a problem with him snapping the footy inside that 30m range as I agree he seems to kick truly with this method more often than not.

I also agree that when he is kicking on the run from on, or outside 50 he is great and ‘ok’ but not as good from set shots from this sort of distance.

I reckon the problem lies in that 30-45m sort of zone where you tend to take a fair amount of set shots from. It is here that the problem will continue to rear its head this year.

It is a distance that is generally too far to reliably snap the footy but yet he doesn’t feel comfortable to kick it as a drop punt from this range, and often sprays them.

It was frustrating for him that he was injured for much of pre-season which inhibited his plans for spending a concerted amount of time and effort to improve in this area.

1 Like