#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Has the pennyl dropped?

He’s always kicked well and been fine from 35-40 out. It’s the one up close that make him nervy, but even with those he seems to be back in it. It helps when he has others kicking goals around him to take the pressure of him.

No, Hooker clunked it

2 Likes

Exactly. I hate this bullshit of “kick through the ball like you are kicking it from 50”. It’s bullshit, if you are 30 out all you need to do is kick it 35, but you still kick through it.

Everyone’s different. Lloyd and Lucas used to cannon them into the grandstand, while Caracella just hit the boundary line fence.

1 Like

Cyril does the same. Never misses.

I remember Plugger coming to us in primary school and telling us he picks someone random in the crowd.
worked a wonder for him but he also had beautiful technique…

He kicks through it, he does what Lloyd did. 30 out, kick it 35

Bewick didn’t kick through it either. Very measured

1 Like

Some of those shots from Joe I notice will hook wildly to the right off the boot, but then they tend to straighten (veer left) and go straight through. It’s almost like the wind picks it up and corrects it.
He may even have to aim outside the right behind post, kind of like a lefty golfer playing for the slice. My guess is if he kicks it too hard or too soft it might not come back for him, and kicking from tight angles or too close to goal would make it really unreliable.
Maybe it’s why so many go OOTF, and why he switches to his right foot or prefers the snap.

Plugger probably had the most fluent kicking technique.

Taller players tend to kick through, shorter players tend to adjust for distance. Or am I imagining it?

Yeah nah… Smadden was and paddy is measured, whereas Salmon, Lloydy & lucas kicked through.

Looking on telly it seemed he ran very very slightly left, which I reckon suits his natural leg swing. He dropped the ball in line with his hip (not too central), and that slight left angle let him do his normal leg swing which just meant that leg swing was very slightl across his body towards the target not right of the target. Then he just gave it a controlled kick not a full extension. Who knows he may revert back but it looked like a better technique for his action, not just better results. Hird always ran too straight for his leg swing on set shots, was a far far better kick swinging out of a pack and kicking slightly across his body, than running in straight. Lee Trevino always said aiming very very slightly off the target and cutting the ball at the target way easier than aiming dead straight and having to hit perfectly straight. Straight works for some with perfect straight leg swing like Lockett and Dunstall, but I’d rather Joe play to his swing not try pretend it’s something that it’s not.

2 Likes

I’d be more interested to know what Lee Carvallo always said…

“You have selected: Three wood. I recommend putt… Three wood”

3 Likes

I reckon Plugger’s kicking was overrated. Not sure what stats say, but even if they back up the idea that he was ultra accurate, it might just have been because the big slug never ran far enough to get away from goal (except to elbow Barry Young or to put Fletch over the fence). He always kicked across his body, mainly in the follow through. .
The bottom line is that you do whatever works for you. The main thing is to get consistency, and then confidence in your process, whatever it is.
So far, Joe has built up a body of consistency and confidence that spans his last three set shots.
Still a long way to go.

I believe that he could end up being the best CHF we’ve ever had.

Big call I know. But he has the potential.

In my lifetime in no particular order: (and apologies to those I miss)

Ken Fraser
Terry Daniher
Paul Van Der Haar
Roger Merrett
James Hird
Scott Lucas

Joey Daniher is a very good player; if he ends up being better than all of these blokes, then I will see many premierships before I die.

9 Likes

“Would you like to play again? You have selected: no”

1 Like

Forgot Alwyn!!

7 Likes