#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Needs to be tall enough for him to at least walk under, jump, skip, hop and take speckies!

Really ? Scott Lucas disagrees. Here’s what he said on the Essendon website:

“I thought [Aaron] Francis started the game well and teamed well with
‘Hooksy’ who kicked the three goals and looked a really imposing figure
up forward.”

I reckon Scotty knows a bit more than you or I do about forward play.

3 Likes

Joe D. came of age as a footballer on Tuesday. Wonderful performance.

Common potaters are all creaming their jeans over him, saying he plays just like someone called Buddy.

They obviously never watched his Uncle Terry in his prime.

2 Likes

I doubt I’ll be a suspect of not liking or underwhelming TD due to my name (he was my childhood hero), but he’s so much more talented and has more upside than TD. So… you must talking about Neale who was one of the most talented to ever pull in the red and black or any jumper for that matter…

When under a high and long ball in seasons past Joe used to just slightly struggle with the strength to fend off his man and getting his hands back up in time to pull down a grab. It was only a split second type thing. An extra split second and hed have the time be composed.

I remember Lloyd or Lucas sayimg that it would take a few pre seasons to build the strength but when he did to look out.

Well welcome to the future.

2 Likes

Yep. His physicality was noticeable. Not just the ability to move the filth players off the ball, but to not be moved himself.

And he’s still small(ish).

Look out, you ■■■■■■.

Nice piece on the Daniher family on btv

With one of Walla, Green, Raz waiting out the back and the others close by to gather any spills. Hooker and Langford/Franga/3rd tall to take out the double/triple team option from the opposition or else they’re the the prime target. No wonder we’re hitting the scoreboard way more all of a sudden. Just needs to get delivered there more instead of getting lost in the middle and pinged back the other way.

This forward line. Dayum!

2 Likes

there are issues with the I50 differential but they’re probably not as significant as the number alone suggests. More than 1/4 of our entries are resulting in a goal, so the ball goes straight back to the middle preventing the potential for repeat entries, which pads out I50 stats for a lot of sides. So our own efficiency is costing us more entries but winning us games against average opponents. If we were consistently getting 55+ entries we’d be smashing sides by 40 points plus. We’re not that side, I guess that’s end game.

4 Likes

Just get the feeling that if the middle clicks together a bit more then we will start seeing those 40+ beltings against some sides.

3 Likes

By “middle clicking” in reality I think it’s a defensive transition thing. We get the transition from D50 right be it from intercept marks, kick outs or D50 stoppages and we’ll a) cut down significantly on repeat I50’s against and b) dramatically increase our own I50’s.

2 Likes

Worth bearing in mind too that 8 of the pies 66 entries came in junk time. 42 to 58 isn’t great but better than 42 to 66. A deferential of 16 would be eliminated by cutting out about half a dozen or so unforced errors. I can think of about 6 off the top of my head which cost us entries and turned into entries against us

• parish bounce
  • JD torp
  • colyer missed handball to bj
  • Stanton kick back into corridor
  • merrett kick back into corridor
  • Watson kick to forward flank

We had a shot 58% of the time we went so that is at least another 2 goals from that lot and it probably cost the pies a turnover goal.

We’re getting there but need to start playing 4 quarters and reducing our error rate

4 Likes

clanger kicks out of the back half aren’t a new thing unfortunately and short of putting Zerrett and Walla back there as designated kickers (basically the two blokes I’d be relying on the most to hit the 45 kick into the corridor) it’s probably not an easy fix. And to be honest if blokes are taking that kick on I don’t mind the odd turnover, as it opens the game up so much if they hit it. Maybe easier to fix up the structure and decision making from kickouts. Rather than Hurls (or whoever was taking the kick) pumping it to 60m down the wing to an outnumber only to come straight back in. Even forcing a throw in on the 50m gives you a chance to structure up and particularly this week against Melbourne with no ruckman you’d have to back in our onballers to win or halve a clearance preventing the repeat entry.

and this is a massive tangent from the thread title…

Which pretty well reflects what Woosha said in the post match presser.

I still think Daniher is a few years away from really being the player he’s going to be. It’s pretty exciting.

You’d hope so hes only 23.

One thing I am really liking is the physicality Daniher is showing with making the opposition earn the mark. In years past he would try to make them earn it and give away a free kick. Now this season he has learnt how to smash the defender infront without giving away the free kick, and he has caused some damage. Its making the opposition midfielders think twice before dropping off and trying to cut off those 50-50 balls on the lead.

So his marking at the highest point will be absolutely stratospheric

Yes, Uncle Neale was every bit as talented a footballer as you say, but I don’t recall him doubling at CHF and Ruck the way Uncle Terry used to, and the way Nephew Joe does now. Whether Joe has more talent and upside than Terry had remains to be seen. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right here, too — but let’s wait another twelve months before we decide on that one, eh ?

1 Like

Need me some gifs