#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

The first half today was the worst-standard AFL game I have seen since the 2008 Dreamtime game. The deplorable skills (often under no pressure) had me wondering whether those on field should be considered Professional athletes - I mean, what the hell do they do during the week? The second half elevated the game out of “the worst” category; unfortunately it was Melbourne who achieved this. Oh, and Collingwood demolished the 5-day break excuse.

What has this got to do with Joe - in his thread?

You know, I think that Joe could have almost iced this game by half-time. I’ve watched footy for a long time. 0.6 and an out of bounds in a laughable first half would have been at least 4 goals in the hands of Hudson, McKenna, Jesaulenko, Blight, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett Snr, Grant, Modra and Lloyd.

Why can’t I add Richardson, Cloke and Riewoldt to this list?

Suburban stadiums were packed a generation or two ago yet the likes of Hudson and McKenna repeatedly speared shots straight over the goal umpire’s head. Commentators - when I haven’t muted their drivel - state that set shots at goal is the only area where the game hasn’t improved. Talk about ‘gilding the lily’. There are many aspects of the game that not only haven’t improved but have regressed.

But set shots is obvious. Does anybody else think that the reason has something to do with players being fully professional. Twenty years ago AFL wasn’t all-consuming; players had lives beyond the next game.

For people criticising Joe for his attitude, I counter with the argument that players should enjoy playing the game. Joe has always shown that he loves playing, even when he isn’t playing well, so I have no issue with his byplay with Sidebottom and Hibberd and his goal celebrations.

His goal-kicking - sorry, point-kicking - is an issue. A huge one. And considering he is a good field kick, I don’t have an explanation. I’m not surprised that Matthew Lloyd didn’t have the answer; totally different personalities. I say leave him alone to work it out himself. Yep!, he probably should have already done so, but employing another goal-kicking coach would just muddy the waters.

Fact is, Joe is probably the most important player we have. He loves playing. He always gives his all. Yes, he occasionally does stupid things and, unlike forwards of the past, struggles to kick goals but he’s an integral component of our next decade.

6 Likes

He should be watching Fantasia and Green. They never miss. Fantasia’s worst possible kick still sneaks in for a goal by 30cm. Joe’s worst misses by 30m.

Didn’t get to see the game. How bad were his misses? Sounded like the majority of them came at a point where goals could have made the difference.

really bad. from a scale of 1 to 10, they were about 23.9

1 Like

Not as bad as they have been previously actually.
There is slight improvement.

There is. And it struck me this morning that there’s a bit of a pattern here.

IIRC, wasn’t he ok at it early doors, … then went shitte, … then Lloyd rocked in, and he started the season kicking ok, …then went shitte again, … then this year, started out kicking fair to really well again, … and fell yet again off the wagon, a little bit more each week (I think) & then the big crash yesterday, …

That’s why I’m convinced it’s mental. Something goes askew with the expectation when he is hitting them well, … then, he starts to veer, and then it seems to snowball.

1 Like

It’s def mental.

Have to wonder if the occasion surrounding the Danihers and having all the uncles and his Dad there got to him.

Trying too hard. Over thinking it. As such tightened up and lost all fluency.

You only need to look at his field kicking which is usually excellent to see that it’s mental.

2 Likes

He’s either staging for frees or giving away frees going to hangers at every opportunity.

Doesn’t help that our forward delivery was woeful…

Lost us the game ?

Him and Hurley were the only ones who kept us in it.

10 Likes

Yeah, … if it wasn’t for those 6 points, . we would have been behind at half time …

/sarc/

2 Likes

Our kicking was diabolical across the whole team.

There must have been something wrong with our boots.

I thought up until half time yesterday that (despite the shitty disposal) we actually look the better team. We moved the ball better into our forward 50 and JD certainly was winning his position in the forward line. However, his inability to kick goals was certainly a negative.

So yes, JD did some good things yesterday - he did OK in the ruck, he got the ball up the ground and he won the ball inside 50. But his job is to kick goals. He failed at that. Dismally. Add to that the rush of blood leading to those stupid wheel around and kick in hope kicks.

If another Club’s forward was 0.6 we would be laughing at them. Well yesterday the footy world was laughing at JD.

I hope he sorts himself out so that he can have the last laugh.

2 Likes

Some with more supposed knowledge than I, have likened Jo to Buddy meaning not strictly a forward. Maybe a chf/ruck and Jo definitely appears to be a better goal kicker on the run than, a set shot lately. Over confident? Let him roam and bring in Stewart or someone else, we need goal kickers other than tippa, razzle and green. Or, we will lose more than we win. With a different mix we could have won that game. Maybe that’s the plan? The players will decide on their performances who stays and who goes.

JD needs a consistent approach to kicking for
Goals.

Some may have laughed at Lloyd doing his routine of picking up grass and then tossing it in the air even when Etihad’s roof was closed and there was no breeze. That routine allowed Lloyd to get a consistent approach to kicking for goals. Same for most other full forwards.

JD changes his kick each time even from the same spot.

3 Likes

When a team has the momentum, then it is quite often the ability of the team to convert that is the difference between sides,when many parts of the game are evenly poised.

Quite often teams get 8-10 consecutive forward 50’s and thats where they can even up 3-4 goals up, or 4-5 points!!!

The team wastes massive amounts of energy and often lose.

In a tight game against the GWS the Dogs got that exact result.
The Pies in the 2nd qtr on Anzac day?

And us yesterday in the 2nd.

Not this was the reason we lost, but there’s no doubt we should have been 3 or so up.

Then the whole opposition psyche changes, particularly if the leading team kicks the 1st, second half goal.

1 Like

Daniher’s goalkicking will improve with more practice hey?..

Uh huh… how many years have we heard that now, and it’s as bad now as it’s ever been. Sometimes they go left, sometimes they go right, sometimes they go straight, sometimes they curl. Seems he doesn’t even know which way they’re going to go.

He has fundamental flaw/s in his technique and, that being the case, no amount of practice will make it reproducibly right. He needs urgent expert assistance and why the club hasn’t employed someone before now has got me absolutely buggered. From the very minute Lloyd decided he couldn’t/wouldn’t do it anymore, it should’ve been priority #1.

Hooker’s got the very same issue BTW.

How can we possibly expect to be at the pointy end of the ladder when our two focal points are as scatter-gun as a sh it-faced 18 year-old in a disco at 3 am? The roll-on deflating effect it has on our team is absolutely palpable!!

5 Likes

It’s a fairly big problem to have if we lose finals by narrow margins…

Have to agree with this he has a different personality to most, and just because he doesn’t visually get down on himself doesn’t mean he doesn’t care.

His better off looking happy and confident out there, then dropping his head and sulking. In fact I think the ability to shake it off the way he does is one of his biggest assets. JD never gives up on himself, that is something thats hard for many to do.

He works extremely hard on his craft, hopefully one day it will all come together for him.

8 Likes

He’s a fkn terrible kick for goal and it’ll never change. Some days he’s gonna have days like yesterday. Other days he will kick 5.1

It’s just what we have to live with

4 Likes