#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Right about effortless. Looked like a training drill. Clean clunk at highest point of his effortless leap, never got out of third gear.

2 Likes

And Geary runs in the the contest and ends up about 8 vertical feet off it, looking into the sun!

Spewing Darcy’s body packed it in. 2x Daniher’s wreaking havoc would have been ace.

5 Likes

Was Darcy any good?

My memories of him had him just above Joel Reynolds level.

Would have been a nice story, and could obviously play a bit, but not much.

In fairness to Darcy, he may have improved had injuries not got in the way.

Had talent and Daniher effort. Never got much of a chance to build on that.

and landed as if he was jumping off a kitchen stool… incredible

Not really.

1 Like

Darcy was good enough to own Fevola as a fullback in one of our great wins v Carlton. The story goes that Fev said to him at the start of the game, “I bet you $100 you’re not on me by the end of the game.” Darcy said, “I’ll take that.” And he collected after smashing Fev all day.

9 Likes

I’m concerned about his health if he gets much higher than that.

Titus O’Reilly gives him a good rap:

"St Kilda (57) v Essendon (118)

The main things I remember from this game was St Kilda being embarrassingly awful and some great marks from Joe Daniher.

When Joe Daniher looks at Jake Carlisle, all he sees is a ladder.

The best football breeding program in the country, the Danihers, just continues to churn out stars.

Joe was always a scary prospect, but like his attempts to grow a moustache, he has been patchy.

In recent weeks, it’s all been coming together (his football not the moustache).

Where once opponents could rely on his inaccurate kicking, he seems to have done something no other footballer has ever done, fixed it."

https://titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-seventeen-2

5 Likes

Fev took 10 marks and kicked 4.7

8 Likes

He was a lot better than J Reynolds. Reynolds was terrible. I’d have DD at a Mitch Brownish sorta level but with a competitive streak/ aggots. Could have developed into an Ambrose type, maybe; more likely a J Robran “that boring but competent tall guy”

one *half of one of our great wins

Mitch Brown is a pretty good comparison.

Bit rough. He looked promising until glandular fever or some other energy sapping disease/condition completely stuffed him

Yeah, but, I’m sure it was Darcy’s pressure that caused him to miss those 7.

4 Likes

Did he get it about a year before we drafted him and it lasted his entire 5 years on the list?

The worst player I’ve seen get more than 1 game in the red and black.

Ty Zantuck

Was twice the player of J Reynolds. Terrible kick but he had a few things going for him.

The only one I can think of who I think was genuinely worse than J Reynolds was John Williams, but he only got 1 game, and that was when we only had about 21 fit players we could put on the park.