#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Yeah, Carlton beat the Hawks and Gold Coast smashed the Cats too. People are getting too caught up in the result of these matches. They don’t matter.

2 Likes

…and in Round 1 West Coast lost to Sydney at home and in Round 6 only beat Freo by 7 points.

Ok.

We lost to Geelong in the JLT and then beat them H&A.

Explain that.

I think we beat em in the JLT. Not positive though.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s go over what I did say:

“…there was talk here last year about how our loss to the Tigers in JLT wasn’t going to be indicative of how we’d play the Tiges during the season… ended up being very indicative.”

Well they beat us convincingly in the home and away and JLT - by the literal definition, the result in JLT was indicative of the H&A results.

Richmond went onto thump North as well - so it suggests they were having a proper go in JLT. We beat Geelong so it suggests we were also having a proper go in JLT.

Two teams who look like they took JLT fairly seriously, (not H&A serious, but more than just a kick and giggle), with evidence to support.

I don’t know about WC and whether they took JLT seriously… that’s why I didn’t bring up their JLT form…

Yes, we did. Tom Hawkins failed to make the distance from about 25m out and I ■■■■■■ myself laughing that an AFL footballer could do that.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s pro’s and cons, and I back the club to do what’s right.

Regarding your points, I really don’t think there’s much difference between a JLT match, a match-sim or a VFL match when it comes to intensity, they are all good “tests” away from the big stage, and even “100% fully fit & full pre-season” guys can break a leg.

As for Joey, I’m just a bit sus as to whether his tank is up to AFL standard, and I’d probably rather he push towards that level rather than interrupt it for 2 quarters of JLT.

I’m not worrying about him injuring himself TBH.

Fair enough.

Can ask was the conversation with Nino?

Richmond were flag favorites last year and we were widely considered to be a bottom 8 side so I just cant see the correlation between a JLT fixture and a H&A match.

Each team treats the JLT for their own purposes and I just don’t see how it has any influence on the outcomes of H&A games.

The only thing I would say is that if you want to hit the ground running early the maybe you would up your intencity in the JLT but even then thats a stretch because more than likely your opponent is not taking it anywhere near as seriously. The Freo v WC result tells me a lot about how differently clubs treat the preseason.

A win is a win and of course I would be happy with some good results in the preseason but if we don’t win I’m not going to go all Nino or anything.

My only wish is that they play some of the younger guys but it seems like they are now using the JLT more for managing players rather than giving the kids a go.

2 Likes

Reckon it will be a combination of both

I’m no expert - furthest thing from it - but I remember watching that JLT game between Richmond and us and thinking ‘yep, they’re both trying to hit the ground running’ as you put it. Probably explains why I was a little bummed after the game.

Seen plenty of rubbish preseason games where everyone was going through the motions, but that game didn’t look like one of them. Anyway…

Nope, no conversation with Nino.

2 Likes

We approached the JLT game very differently to Richmond. We were still bedding tactics and players down, and did a fair bit of experimenting. Richmond attacked it full on like a home and away game and made a statement about their premiership. Nothing like each other’s approach at all. The fact that we played like shiit is a separate issue.

How could you think we were both approaching it the same?

They played almost a full strength side. We had most of our key senior players missing via not playing at all (holding over for later games), injury or illness (gastro through club), and lost Merrett in first quarter.

They looked a cohesive unit and naturally so. We were never going to do so and were flogged accordingly.

Saad kicked a goal though, that was good.

4 Likes

Fixed

2 Likes

We couldn’t beat Richmond when they had rested a bunch of players late in the season, after we’d done a heap of work on our gamestyle.

Losing to them in JLT by heaps seems about right.

We need to make a very large step up in order to compete with these sort of sides in my opinion.

Sorry, just to clarify…

Didn’t say both teams approached that JLT game the same way. Did say that both sets of players looked like they wanted to ‘hit the ground running’… were not ‘H&A serious’ but that it was more than a ‘kick and giggle’ to the players, including ours. Also said the JLT result was indicative of our H&A results against the Tiges - and it was.

It is possible for players to have a decent crack, but for the team to be experimenting, resting players, bedding down tactics - agree.

We’re gonna farkin smash them out of the farkin ground this year and they’re gonna farkin cry like farkin babies whaaawhaaawhaaaaa!

3 Likes

It’s about time we beat Richmond, it must be one of our longest stretches of not beating a particular team.

That heap of work on our gamestyle is possibly why we lost by 8 pts in rnd 22 vs 71 pts in rnd 11 though.

2 Likes

It could be like when Bomber joined and we beat Geelong the first time. May happen again getting Rutton.

3 Likes