#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Anybody got an account to open this?

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/essendon-goalkicker-joe-daniher-poised-to-play-first-match-in-nine-months-in-bombers-jlt-opener/news-story/ee0d9fb430d59cdab729a0de872fa346&memtype=anonymous

Essendon goalkicker Joe Daniher poised to play first match in nine months in Bombers’ JLT opener

Glenn McFarlane, Sunday Herald Sun

an hour ago

Subscriber only

Essendon key forward Joe Daniher could play his first competitive match against AFL opposition in nine monthswhen the Bombers take on Carlton in the JLT Community Series opener on Thursday night.

Coach John Worsfold told the Sunday Herald Sun that Daniher — who hasn’t played since Round 7 last year — was in the mix to take on the Blues at Ikon Park after a solid performance in the club’s intra-club game on Thursday.

Daniher has made significant progress in his game fitness with the club is confident it is now on top of the groin issues that cruelled his 2018 season.

SURGERY: FYFE TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE

TOO FIERY: PRACTICE MATCH CALLED OFF

“Joey played 60 minutes (on Thursday); he is ready to play,” Worsfold said.

“We will just be putting the perfect program in place for him, so that he is best prepared (for Round 1). That could mean — and it is likely to mean — that he will play some minutes (against the Blues) in JLT1.

Joe Daniher has been out a long time. Pic: Michael Klein

Daniher is eyeing a big year. Pic: Getty Images

“Everyone would be excited by that.”

An assessment will be made on whether it is better for the 24-year-old to take on the Blues and then have a longer lead-in to the club’s Round 1 game against Greater Western Sydney at Spotless Stadium on March 24.

But the one thing the coach is certain about is that the club made the right decision to sideline him early last season in an effort to get to the bottom of his groin issues — even if Daniher was initially reluctant to rest.

“We made a decision last year where his form was struggling, and I certainly had a strong belief that by the time we pulled him out, it wasn’t form,” Worsfold said.

NEW-SuperCoach_Promo_650_90.png

|0x0

“I believe he was too sore to impact the game at the level he wanted to, even though he felt he could push through.

“That gave us time to absolutely assess everything. We had always had the view that Joey’s best footy is ahead of him.

14 Likes

Spectacular. Can’t bluddy wait to see the big fella back out there!

2 Likes

Anyone else see the invite on Facebook to watch Joey get presented with the Coleman medal this year? :joy:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2299506743707540/?ti=icl

7 Likes

Now that’s the sort of content you’d pay for.

7 Likes

Fck my day, Daniher back! What a turnaround from a few months ago when it was all doom and gloom.

Good call by me.

4 Likes

Well, that is one way to talk about what happened.

1 Like

Good one Yaco

7 Likes

Yes it warms our heart

3 Likes

Yes it does

2 Likes

It’s going to be so awkward when we get to round 23 and Joey & Stringer are 95 goals a piece for the season and Merrett/Shiel/Smith/Hepp have to decide who they like more when kicking it inside 50.

8 Likes

I know we missed him. And I know Joey is special. And I know we did well to cover for him last year.
But when he does actually come back and does those Joey things, I am going to realise just how much I have missed him and be reminded just how special he is.

7 Likes

Especially when the race for the Brownlow will be so tightly contested between those four that whoever has the pill will probably just ping it from 65 out

3 Likes

I realise the media are an opinion based industry but N Riewoldt’s SEN non inclusion of Joe in his top 10 forwards in 2019 shows an obvious bias that puts into sharp focus his true lack of credibility. Not sure why the experts feel the need to be controversial?

1 Like

I just think he’s pretty much out of sight, out of mind. People forget easily, and once a player gets injured their stocks can drop dramatically. All I know is that if Joe comes back healthy and picks up his 2017 form, people will stand up and take note…

1 Like

Joey things like standing on Carlisle’s head or Joey things like staging for free kicks and spraying shots at goal?

Jokes aside, he’s going to be a huge inclusion for us this year, especially with the introduction of 6-6-6 and the likelihood of 2 ruckmen playing for most teams.

2 Likes

Just so you know, he doesn’t hate Joe, he’s just doing what he’s told and that’s say controversial stuff to get people phoning in. He said De Goey played like a key forward as well. It was straight up clickbait mate.

Riewoldt also said that there was no issue with recreational drugs in his time at the Saints that only finished in 2017 but it is rife throughout the AFL currently.

He is flog hypocrite liar just like the rest of the players that go into media when their careers are washed up.

Absolute flog!

6 Likes

I don’t think he had a good start.

Riewoldt was talking about the Grant Thomas revelations re taking of illicit drugs at St Kilda. Said how there wasn’t any drug taking going on when he was at St Kilda and how it wasn’t fair that Thomas, by his comments, had tarred all the players from that time with the same brush. Next breath, he says that taking of illicit drugs is ‘out of control’ in the AFL now.