#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

first, i reckon @Alan_Noonan_10 or @Albert_Thurgood can tell us the 2nd one is american and stupid.

1 Like

Actually i think its the other way round :slight_smile:

Orientate is the English, orient the American.

Americans prefer oriented, and rarely use orientated.
British English speakers are more likely to use either.

There is an opinion that the use of orientated comes from using orientation too often in a work place jargon sense, and assuming orientated is correct.
Essentially they mean the same.
Sort out where you’re looking, where you are, based on the compass (eastwards)

Given it’s JD, bugger the compass points and perhaps use “goaltated” or “goalted” as preferred terms.
As in “Big Joe got himself goaltated with that one”

1 Like

Anyone know if the stat for how many times we kick to particular players inside forward 50 is available online?

Fox showed a stat before the game showing we’d looked for Joe the least out of the Hooker / Stewart / Daniher trio. Interesting to see what the breakdown was yesterday.

I saw it flash on the screen that we’d gone to Stringer 9 times, Stewart 7 and Joe 4. That might have been 3/4 time-ish?

1 Like

Just taking that at face value, makes a lot of sense, joe and stewart were pushing up the ground and stringer was our deepest forward, so after coin flipping joe/james as to who to go for, it was then all on stringer.

Stringer essentially played the Hooker role.

He didn’t look like actually taking a contested mark, but he was surprisingly good at negating the contest / bringing it to ground.

2 Likes

When hes going instinctively, its like he has the ball on a string, seems to stay near his hands.

I’m not as worried about Joe as a lot of people. His second and third efforts yesterday were much better. He had 3 goal assists (rated elite), he consistently brought the ball to ground (despite having two opponents on him most of the day), and he got better as the game went on.Two clutch goals in the last when port were coming at us. Also regarding his goal kicking, if Joe is more confident in snapping from the pocket, and has a higher success rate, then who cares. He kicks more goals doing that then he does kicking normally from that spot. Also had three clearances from minimal time in the ruck.

He is obviously down in confidence but it was awesome to see the whole team get around him in the last quarter. Can’t wait until he dominates Anzac Day once again.

4 Likes

For what its worth, AFL Player Ratings had Joe as our 4th best player on the ground also…

Yes, but he doesn’t lead in straight line or up the ground like Cale. In this, I think Cale is a better support for Joe. However, Stringer is a genuine goalkicker and excitement machine in his own right.

His a great hugger.

2 Likes

love joe. entertainment factor.

but im not sure he is a big 8 goal plus bag kinda guy. not an old school ff.

i want him to rip a game apart just to put fear into oppositions.

I wonder if this is as good as he is ever going to get. Max Crow could never kick straight after years.

Joes improvement will come from just more consistency. I doubt he will ever pick up another element to his game, or doubt that any one area will ever improve drastically from last year… but any improvement he makes will come through just greater consistency, everyone can achieve that no matter how skillful you are

Max Crow never achieved any consistency iirc. Was a toss up between whether he kicked a goal or hit the windsock.

1 Like

Watching the replay: geez Joe was important. 8 score involvements, the key man setting up our initial lead that we then never lost.

14 Likes

And a critical shepherd.

It will turn due him soon I reckon. Stringer and Stewart hitting the score board consistently will help. Side are paying very very close attention to him at the moment. He’ll stay to find more space when sides start putting more time into stringer.

We needed to spread our forwards better and I though we did that against port.

Building into the season.

I reackon the epic domination will start about R9 onwards. Getting slowly better each week till then.