#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Pretty inglorious actually.

1 Like

BacchusFox. As you have mentioned you have a professional relationship with Reid as your family doctor. I appreciate that you find him to be a wonderful family doctor and trust him. Having such a relationship with a doctor is such a relief for a family. Many people have told me that he is a good bloke and that maybe so. He was at some stage the Hird family doctor. Not sure that is still the case but it is well documented that Jim was not happy with Reid’s responses and lack of accountability about the saga. This is all well documented in the media.

One thing being a very good GP and another being the Head Doctor of a professional sports team. He holds no special qualification in Sports Medicine but, I concede he would have gathered expertise in his long association with the EFC.

Just by comparison I know that the Club Doctors of Collingwood and Carlton have both completed extensive Post Doctorate research and studies as Fellows of Melbourne University. They are both recognised for their role in developing new and effective treatments of musculoskeletal injuries and the Collingwood Doctor Ruben Branson has special expertise in the field of hamstring and groin injuries. I looked up the qualifications of club doctors at 4 other clubs and all had post grad qualifications in Sports Medicine. All had vast experience across a wide range of sports and had implemented proven strategies in terms of injury prevention, treatment and recovery. A number have also been involved in the use of stem cell technology in the treatment injuries such as ACLs.

Dr Ruben Branson and Dr Phil Bloom are two of the doctors that supported and advanced the use of Pentosan Polysulphate is the treatment of bone bruising and osteoarthritis.

My point is that we do not have a doctor who is at the cutting edge of sports medicine. If we are to be successful we need our best players on the park. Bruce has had a good run and at 72 he needs to move on and let the younger guns take over. It is my belief that going overseas is the way to go. US sports and soccer lead the way in sports medicine.

I do not believe that Bruce did not know what was going on at the club during 2012. As Club Doctor he should have. To raise the matter that the players were being given tribulus and colostrum against his wishes gives the impression that Dank introduced them to the club as part of his supplement program. The CAS transcript contains evidence provided by Essendon players that both these supplements were being taken by the players well before Dank and Robinson appeared.

It is also well documented the mistakes that were made with Scott Gumbleton. Dank’s strategy of performing regular blood tests on the players and checking such parameters such as HGH and testosterone levels was good sports science. If this had been done in Scott’s case when he first arrived at the club I expect his career would have been a lot different.

Now we have the JD case which baffles everyone. How did it come to this? Surely the responsibility rests with the club doctor?? There is no other explanation other than JD’s injury has been mismanaged.

I agree that with you that Reid was not guilty of anything really, although the application of bringing the game into disrepute “charge” could have thrown at anyone in the saga and the AFL would have made it stick. Also, and I and many others, would say that Jim and Bomber and Danny didn’t do anything wrong either.

We all know that footy is a brutal game both on and off the field and unfortunately, in my opinion Reid needs to go.

6 Likes

Im not self entitled i just think i’m entitled to everything I want including for you to shut up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m way behind in this thread. How far back do I need to go to hear that Daniher is going to be good to go after the bye to help drive a massive back half of the season?

4 Likes

A pretty long way.

As it stands, it will be a miracle if he ever walks again.

8 Likes

You need to go back to 2017

3 Likes

BRING

1 Like

HIM

rooster blood.

3 Likes

Only 1 word response required please, all in caps.

6 Likes

PIZZA!

pazza. ?

no caps required.

1 Like

DESK!

1 Like

RAZOR! … ??

GUMB

1 Like

CATHY!

TACOS

CRUTCHES ?

1 Like

So when he is finally fit, should will we still drop him to the VFL?

There is an unmistakable element of nostalgia if he were to play at Windy Hill, so the answer is YES.

Edit…I just remembered that he has played at least 1 VFL game at Windy Hill.

1 Like

Your post raises matters of concern which cannot be ignored.

It is tragic that this has happened to a superstar like Joey.