#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

I’m just checking the obituaries on a daily basis.

2 Likes

The question then is why have we reached this point in July where the club feels strongly enough to gather all relevant personnel to discuss JD’s injury(s) when, as arguably our best player, JD’s injuries were known last year.

The medical/fitness team have fumbled the ball with this one and I would suggest any fair-minded Essendon supporter would agree.

2 Likes

BRING

1 Like

HAP, I don’t believe for I minute that you speak for “everyone”. What I have stated is my opinion, albeit informed opinion.

The Pies may very well shake up their medical/fitness team for any number of reasons but what odds Dr Ruben Branson will still be there (if he wants to stay)? I would also point out that Collingwood’s medical/fitness team comprises 13 people. How many of those 13 replaced would constitute a “shake-up”

1 Like

What is it that makes you think this is the first meeting about Joey’s condition?
Is it anything other than a guess?

5 Likes

Surely they just gave him a period of almost complete rest with regards to the injury, only swimming & upper body weights … which has progressed to light running. And hopefully he is now reporting it as not affecting him at all & ready to ramp it up.

If we weren’t any chance of finals then they’d take a very long and over cautious approach to ensuring he is cherry ripe for the start of preseason.

Now that we are a semi chance the questions have to be asked & possible program put in place to build him up to fitness that will be capable of playing high level football again.

He is a match winner. We’d want him on park if fully fit and he’d want to play.

If it’s possible they will try. If not he’s shelved until preseason.

3 Likes

From the outside looking in, we’re all just guessing whether they’ve fumbled the ball or not. Ultimately we’re clueless (those with inside knowledge are a little less clueless) about this.

For all we know they’ve had multiple meetings about it, maybe even last year.
I’m no medical / sports science expert (far from it), but one thing that is clear is that dealing with injuries in elite sport is a delicate balancing act and every decision probably has some level of risk.

I’m not going to hang the club over Joe’s injury unless definitive proof comes out they ■■■■■■ up.
At this stage, as far as i’m concerned, ■■■■ happens.

2 Likes

Well, what a novel approach to this you have!

2 Likes

who Cares if he misses the rest of this season, just get him 100% right for the next 10. And do everything possible to make sure whatever happened this year never happens again

7 Likes

I would have thought that for a player with the profile of JD any previous meeting involving such a wide range of relevant personnel discussing JD’s condition and potential absence from the game would have been in the media during the pre-season. Just as this meeting now has been.

I agree that the medical staff would have been all over this from the start but perhaps in hindsight might have made different decisions given how it has turned out, especially the decision to allow him to play when he clearly was restricted.

I don’t know about anybody else but I certainly was made aware that JD had groin and knee problems during pre-season. Certainly been lots of chatter and speculation on Blitz and social media about it.

Agree, a simple and logical approach moving forward.

Announcing the meeting and team of experts to make an informed and rational decision certainly seems a PR setup to minimise the backlash when they tell us he’s not playing until 2025.

1 Like

Even if we made finals, does it make any sense to play him given the length of his absence?

4 Likes

You are probably right but I would emphasise your word “risk”. Risk management is a critical protocol in the field of medical science. The inability to recognise the risks and mitigate them can lead to dire outcomes. In JD’s case an injury was recognised and a strategy for treatment put in place. A decision was taken to allow him to play and it has backfired.

The fans see it very simply. Our match-winner is not playing and they want to know why.

After all that has happened over the past 5 years good luck in getting the club and especially the medical staff admitting they stuffed up.

1 Like

If he’s fit & can impact as we know he capable of it’s irrelevant how much time of season he has missed. They’ll do his mini preseason, likely some VFL time for match fitness and then in.

He’s a star and a match winner and way better than Mitch Brown (or Smack but he’d likely stay in).

It’s a no brainer IMO

If only they had had this hindsight at the beginning. How come the Collingwood medical staff have better hindsight than we do?

I demand that the Board make ‘high levels of hindsight’ a mandatory criteria for every job at EFC.

6 Likes

I don’t want him back this year.
Our forward line is operating beautifully.
People are running, creating space for each other, shepherding goals over the line. Everything that Joe can’t do on one leg.
We can see what a year off did for TBells injuries.
Leave him out for the year, get the required treatment, and get him back next year fully fit.
In the meantime he can work on all the tactics and strategies he needs to learn such as running patterns, creating space, sacrificing your own game and kicking straight.
No doubt he can be one of the very vbest players in the competition, this can be the opportunity to get him there.

6 Likes

Nobody with any sort of medical or health background would dare suggest they had a clue about a particular case just by reading a few things in the paper.

Why are you so keen to guess that the Essendon people and the former Pies people stuffed up, but so quick to hop in to defend the current Pies bloke?

2 Likes

Badabing, touchdown.

b5au clearly has some pre conceived notions about particular personnel, presumably based on their research overlapping into his field (chemistry IIRC?).
It’s all just confirmation bias.

3 Likes

I don’t think he’ll play significant footy. But it’d be good to have him back in the mix.