#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Crowe also said they had managed him the entire preseason. Believing they’d done what was needed to build him up to play.

Also if player isn’t reporting how much it’s really troubling him it’s a hard one. Can’t really be blaming conditioning staff if JD kept putting his hand up to play.

Perhaps he didn’t want to given what happened to Darcy. Denial of sorts.

Although based on game day output and if he wasn’t training much during week it should have been red flags.

2 Likes

Do you know what the scans said? No.
Do you know if they were the first scans? No.
Do you know what Joe was reporting to physio, doctor, trainers? No.

1%

1 Like

3 games in ten days- bordering on negligent.

In fact, 4 games in 17 days.

That’s the part that irks me most about the management of Daniher - you would think he would have got 2 of these games off given he was being managed.

I get where bomber5au is coming from in terms better decisions could have been made much earlier but OP is a difficult thing to treat and some of it comes down to Daniher himself - he would be itching to play and would have downplayed how sore he was as a result.

And none of that means anything without the context of how specific conditions of this kind are treated/managed.
Every time I see a polarised argument like this, it’s because people are talking in absolutes instead of actually trying to see the other side. They are usually more concerned with their investment in their own argument, than in getting to some kind of resolution.
And when people very early on make it clear that they believe you are an idiot because you don’t agree with them, it’s time to move on.

2 Likes

Then JoeDan must also accept some responsibility for the management of the injury, wouldn’t you say?

2 Likes

I certainly applaud his bravery for trying to play through and I know that he’s doing it for the right reasons but Joe has a history of trying to play when he shouldn’t. Club needs to smarten up. He’s tried to play through before why would you let him do it again. The Bomber Thompson spray he received back in 2014 for playing when he wasn’t fit should’ve been enough reason to take the cautious approach with this injury. We splutter through the first 7 rounds Joe clearly isn’t right, and the injury could get worse even career threatening. I hope the time away has made Joe realise that playing when not fully fit is not the best option. Have some faith in your teammates, get yourself 100% and come back and contribute to winning.

2 Likes

And its selfish. It lacks consideration for the rest of the team. Which is not uncommon with kids.

2 Likes

hes 24… dunno if thats a kid anymore. hes in the leadership group is he not?

Really enjoyable thread this one.

1 Like

Yes - a key input to deciding on his management would have been how sore he felt. Only he can state that.

Fair comment.

Twelve months ago JD was one of the most exciting players in the AFL. He was at the top of his game. Now his future is uncertain and he has an injury which could affect his career long term.

Apart from all the stuff posted so far one has to review and analyse what happened to get up to the point we are at now. A lot of decisions were made in that twelve months some of which require some scrutiny. The question has to be asked, how could we have handled this better? What can we learn from this and do better next time? If JD contributed to that then I reckon he might have learned his lesson already. Given that we know that Bomber called him out for playing injured before one would have thought that someone in the high performance or medical group would have looked twice. Just saying.

1 Like

The mods should translate this entire post into Latin and make us all recite it prior to login.

4 Likes

One is talking bollocks.

Is there another side where JD was actually fit to play or is about to come back in fully fit ready to help the push for finals? If not then it’s all moot. He was injured, the club decided to play him, he couldn’t perform, and after playing him in multiple games in a short timespan he eventually broke down and now looks like missing the rest of the year. Basically a whole year wasted.

Explain ‘wasted’ in your context.

I would have thought it self explanatory but not playing decent footy then succumning to injuries is a waste of a season. We knew he was injured before the season started so the opportunity was there to get him better and hopefully back fit at some point. Nothing gained by playing him and no reason to believe it helped his recovery hence a waste.

If it were self-explanatory, I wouldn’t have asked it.
What you said above assumes a few things that may or may not be accurate. Here are a few:

Decent footy’ can mean a lot of things, for a lot of players. For the season (and by context I’m going to assume you mean Joey’s season) to have been ‘wasted’, you would need to have another option - an alternative that would have had Joey diagnosed and treatment carried out, a pre-season put in, and all going to plan, he coming into the season sometime to play excellent footy. There are a few unknowns there, I hope you agree.

You do say ‘at some point’ - which kind of counters the ‘wasted’ bit.
You say that there was ‘no reason to believe’, yet you are making that statement from a position of ‘unknowing’ to put it kindly.

Players are monitored pretty much to an inch of their lives these days. Medical staff are overall, pretty darn good. Some better than others. There are many ‘ifs’ in this little story, but using flimsy hearsay, third-party info and enthusiast opinion as ‘facts’ do not strengthen an argument.

A lot of kudos must be given to the players who only come in because Joey is out. These guys must realise that the only reason they are playing is because he is out and they still play their heart out.

every cloud…

2 Likes