#6 Joe Daniher - drank a beer

Having also been at the game and watched the replay, the bolded part is bullshit. He was not constantly outsmarted, maybe once or twiced but not outmarked and brought it to ground alot more times you are giving him credit for.

The 8 score involvements isnt surprising considering he kicked 2.1 and gifted a goal to stringer and I think green in the first (can’t remember the other 3)
He was better when he moved up the ground, but he really really needs to stop that bull shot kick around the corner when he’s on an easy angle like that.

He’s not getting outmarked and he had very very easy marking contests.

Ignoring the two drop punt goals he kicked afterwards. Or do they not suit your point?

2 Likes

Salmon used to do the head duck because every time he went for a mark he would be punched in the back of the head. This was popularized by Hawthorn. That may be why he went there - so at least they wouldn’t be whacking him each time.

Edit: just acknowledging your later post also mentions the punch to the back of the head of the marking player

1 Like

My fave Joe moment, was the kick from deep in D50, over the centre square, to our F50 line, where the Guelfi tackle led to the Stringer goal. Not sure how far he roosted that one, but it has to be close to 70 m. Straight up the guts. The speed with which the ball was sent forward was what caught the defence out, and made them panic. Looked to me like a set play, it worked beautifully.

1 Like

you’d back him to have a big game next week, it’s fairy tale stuff him smacking collingwood around on anzac day,

also Jimmy Stewart

let’s just hope it doesn’t rain

https://www.theroar.com.au/tv/dunstall-despises-danihers-dumb-footy/

He’s 100% correct, that is part of the dumb footy he does that ■■■■■ me up the wall.

Also stevie j is the banana king of the afl you inbred johnson.

1 Like

Dunstall’s hatred of all things Essendon bled through in his commentary.

2 Likes

Not in this instance. He’s spot on. Was dumb!

It was dumb he even had a go at Robbie Gray for passing off to Polec

Interestingly enough Sheedy shares the opinion that Joe is a dumb footballer. And it’s probably never going to change. I’m not sure Joe thinks very much about what he does, he just does it. I’m fine with that in a general sense, but I’d like him to stop and look at his options occasionally.

2 Likes

IMG_6981

2 Likes

That’s Begley

5 Likes

Dunstall was spot on. Joe later proved he didn’t need to kick a bender by kicking two late goals with conventional drop punts.

Great player are instinctive.

All of us think far too much, and when Joey just grabs the ball and kicks on the run, he is more accurate and with better style.

1 Like

No one says anything about snaps until one is missed then it is end of the world kind of dumb football. Joe kicked many around the body last year and had a great conversion rate.

It is not ideal, but if he is more accurate and more comfortable then let him do it. Joe is very much a confidence player, at the moment he is down on confidence. He will come good.

1 Like

Dunstall… “He’s got an incredible psychological challenge on his hands,”

What a nob. Beating drug addiction is an incredible psychological challenge. Goal kicking? Eh… not so much.

Daniher had an ugly run in the first third of last season and turned it right around to have a better than average conversion rate for the last third of the season. So Daniher’s already got a pretty good track record of facing his 'incredible psychological challenge" and dealing with it. A couple of blips at the start of 2018 and Dunstall starts frothing at the mouth… nob.

4 Likes

He snapped plenty of goals last year. Usually he didn’t muck around though and barely got back behind the mark. The one he missed on the weekend was probably just too far out to snap from back behind the mark like he did. He misjudged it but I still think his overall conversion improved last year thanks to the snap

2 Likes

Great players are/do both.

Agree absolutely on the second point.

This. I’m as big of an advocate for the drop punt as anyone, however Joe’s conversion with the snap is very good, I’d say above league average for set shot conversion.

It’s obviously an easy target when it misses, but analyse it properly before going full Dunstall.