#7 Zerrett - could double his Crichtons by 2027

I remember at a VFL final at Windy Hill he intimidated the absolute proverbial out of some Geelong ruck. Got a couple of ruck frees because the opposition was more scared of being smashed into by Jamar than actually competing.

That play ought to be banned and go the way of the head high hit. Someone could break a player’s back kneeing like that in a full force fall. NO GEORGE FFLOYD STUFF IN OUR GAME.

1 Like

Bought the son a pack of footy cards on way to school this morning.
Pulled out Orazio, Joe, Saad and Merrett in the same pack.
Joked wonder if this means Merrett is leaving dad.
He’s currently walking the 15km to school in the rain.

42 Likes

Draper, Redman, Stringer and Guelfi are the only ones capable of being the protector. It’s one of the bigger holes on our list imo. Snelling should be doing more in this area imo.

Hind and Cox both play with an edge but neither are exactly intimidating. Hooker could do it but he’d either be 100m away from the action or tucker himself out in the process.

It’s not just an issue that effects Merrett, Walla also cops a fair bit of attention and you can see it frustrate him.

Dunkley and Draper around the contest would make a huge difference.

3 Likes

Umpires protecting the ball carrier would help also… I mean if they could only apply the same rules that 17 other teams get to Essendon players this won’t even be an issue

3 Likes

Only when Gary Ablett Jr is the victim.

Spot On! Sammy will be the new mummy for the next decade - One thing to note is once the team wins a flag and plays a contested aggressive game style, they will automatically develop an aura…which will then translate to intimidation for the rest of the comp. Take Richmond for instance, they hunt in packs and unleash a tsunami and you dont have anyone trying to bully them. Hope we get to that stage soon (in the net 3-4 years) - go bomberz

3 Likes

I recall 2-3 seasons ago, Mark Harvey was interviewed on SEN, and he was asked about Merrett getting targeted off the ball.

Harv’s said something like; “we’re keeping notes on the players who are targeting Merrett off the ball… and they better watch themselves. We don’t forget.”

Later that week, Hooker was addressing the media in a press conference. He was asked about Harvey’s comments.

Hooker said; “oh yeah. Typical Harv’s. he gets hot headed during a game, and wants us to go out and belt the opposition. But we as players just want to concentrate on winning the footy… and don’t take too much notice.”

4 Likes

Had a dream that Merret signed a 5 year deal with Essendon and made capatain

2 Likes

Dont wake up!

3 Likes

Another ex-GWS player potting Merrett

Interesting if these comments will play on the negotiations.
Either way (big fan of zerret) and hope he stays and be the next premiership captain for us…but if he leaves, its not a disaster (as its been proven in the past - eg: Buddy/ GaryAJ/ Deledio/ Griffin…etc)

■■■■■■■ moron.

4 Likes

Followed by his post trade article later in the year labelling Merrett as a perfect fit for club X.

1 Like

Heath Shaw and Kane Cornes click bait cage match.

1 Like

He is a klutz.

2 Likes

Am I only one who didn’t have a problem with these comments?

Merrett is a very good player, we all know that, but some of his commentary has been a little self-indulgent.

I don’t really rate Heath Shaw or his opinion, but the fact this type of commentary is making headlines will benefit us more than the reverse.

5 Likes

I don’t rate Merrett as highly as the FA frothing in the media. Great player and important to us in particular I think, but I think all players in FA get blown out of proportion. Shiel, McGovern, Williams etc all to different degrees were way overhyped.

No you’re not alone- I don’t think anything Shaw said was outrageous. It’s fodder aimed squarely at triggering the footy forum punters and whilst he is currently our best player and I want him to retire a 300 game premiership winning Bomber, Merrett is not a match-winning superstar or a top 20 comp player.

2 Likes

Why does Shaw say we may have to pay Merrett under the odds? We have more cap space than most of the teams listed.