#7 Zerrett in the beginning

offensive gun, defensively accountable for the whole midfield too.

1 Like

Zerret doesn’t have the same athletic prowess as some others but sure makes up for it with work ethic on and off the field - works his ■■■■ off every single minute he’s out there - leads by example.
He’ll run and make 2nd a 3rd efforts for the small chance that a teammate may need help or to apply defensive pressure.
So happy he’s ours

Boot to ball is unbelievable

the only afl player who can catch Saad

true story

3 Likes

Agree with this, it is just wish listing, aka thinking out loud. It is something we all do in here, multiple times a week. Relax peeples, no way is it meant to be taken seriously, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Where are my Conor highlights ■■■■■■■

So, will the bloke win a Brownlow? Umps like him, yet surprisingly missed votes in games he should’ve got 3 this year!

What will it take to elevate Merrett to potential Brownlow status?

Kick more goals? Play more forward of the play? I guess Essendon winning more games might help

1 Like

That’s it right there. Win games and umps love you.

1 Like

To win a Brownlow, you need to be either a clearance machine, or an attacking goal-kicking mid.
Zerret spent a lot of time as a defensive mid. If that changes, given McGrath’s new role - watch him poll more.

It’s a lot more than that

Tigers won only 3 more games than us for the season, yet Dusty had 21 vote lead on Zerrett

Clear best player in most of their wins.

Win games and get a neck tatt

Fixed

• Needs to kick 20+ goals
  • Lift his contested ball from 9 cp to ~14 cp
  • Increase his clearances from 4.5 to 6

Will get 25+ brownlow votes next year

He goes about collecting possessions in a very quiet way. No fan fare.

He needs to dye his hair blonde

1 Like

Is anyone else worried that he seemingly was in the states early this week, and he is suppose to be playing IRL on Saturday?

Hopefully hasn’t hampered his preparation, in terms of his body. Couldn’t care less about the result, just don’t want Zach injured.

Would rather he wasn’t playing at all.

they do training tours in the states.

if there is one player you’d trust to make sure he’s fit and professional with preparedness - it’s gotta be Zach (and BJ…)

2 Likes

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/international-rules-geelong-skipper-joel-selwood-identifies-the-teammate-hes-most-impressed-with/news-story/6bd2b280d6d5d1f1d61608cf56a275c0

GEELONG champion Joel Selwood hasn’t taken long to find an Australian teammate he’s most impressed with.

In a star-studded line-up, you’d think it might be a name like Scott Pendlebury or Eddie Betts, or even Australian captain Shaun Burgoyne.

But it’s the youngest player on the team that has caught the eye of the six-time All Australian.

“I think one guy that for his age is super impressive is Zach Merrett,” Selwood told the Geelong Advertiser.

“Obviously he’s just turned 22 and he’s the youngest by a fair way — him and Chad Wingard.

“He’s just like a little sponge, he eats up footy, loves footy and he’s going to be a hell of a player.”

It’s the second time Selwood has had the opportunity to pull on the green and gold, having represented Australia in 2014 as national captain.

While that side featured the likes of Dustin Fletcher, Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt, Selwood believes this year’s team might be even better.

“We’ve put a really strong side together I think,” he said.

“I played in 2014 and that side was probably filled of stars to a degree. This one is similar, but probably more balanced to the game style we want to play.

“We’ve had a couple of runs so far; Thursday was pretty light with the group just getting together and a few boys have literally just got back from overseas holidays.”

While still learning how to play the Irish game, Selwood said Australia would be out to win the two-test series.

“I expect us to play better next Saturday than we do this Sunday, but we think we can put out a performance to really take it up to the Irish,” he said.

“I think it will be a competitive game, but these guys that we’re playing against, they call themselves amateurs but they spend a hell of a lot of time at their footy clubs in Ireland.

“We’re not going to take them lightly because they can seriously play the game. We’ll have our work cut out for us but it’s a challenge we’re all looking forward to.”

Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood, with Zach Merrett looking over their shoulders. (Photo by James Elsby/AFL Media/Getty Images)
And Selwood said he was relishing being pushed outside his comfort zone.

“It’s just a really good learning curve to be honest, take yourself out of your comfort zone of playing with an oval ball and now we’re playing with a round one and trying to work out new rules and a little bit of game style stuff,” he said.

“It’s difficult; it’s one hell of an advantage they’ve got against us and we’ve just got to try and take it off them by keeping the ball in our hands.”

11 Likes

He is already

4 Likes