#7 Zerrett in the beginning

@aceman would know.

I remember Bonner was a big bombers supporter

a few people want Bonner with our 2nd round pick that year.

Again - it doesn’t matter.
It makes no difference how, why, what direction, what hit first, what the intent was, what happened before, what happened afterwards - if you choose to bump, and you make contact with the head - you are liable.

2 Likes

No worries Deckham, understood. I was just trying to be a smart ■■■■. It would be interestingto hear what their “expert” has to say about it at the tribunal.

The critical difference being that hannebury was trying to win the ball.

This is open and shut. Douglas chose to bump when he had other options. He got Zach in the head who was ruled out of the game with concussion.

He has literally no defense.

1 Like

There is always a defence.

5 Likes

Best mates with Aaron Francis too I believe.

1 Like

“that babe”??

Yer, that babe

Still a good bump.

When you reach my age every woman under 45 is a babe. “That babe” is much younger and not only plays footy very well is an attractive young woman.

And if it is not PC to use the term “babe” then I am truly sorry.

it’s not PC and also you seem like a very weird guy, which sort of compounds it all!

5 Likes

Crowey said that he will be available this week on the injury report.

Good news.

Shoved another guy into the ground after getting a holding the ball free. I love Zach but it’s a jerk move and not tough at all.

Zach Merrett at a career crossroads over how to handle being targeted

Jake Niall

In 2018, we should expect the Zach attacks to continue, in whatever form. While many, if not most, teams seldom deploy old-school, stand-on-your-toes taggers, they will still single out a midfielder for attention if they reckon, a) reducing his output matters and, b) they can do it.

Scott Pendlebury’s job on Patrick Cripps is a textbook example of the modern method for restricting opposition playmakers. Pendlebury wasn’t tagging Cripps. He was asked to man him at the stoppages and reduce his impact – a mission that the Collingwood skipper accomplished.

Merrett, like Cripps, is a fifth-year star whom rival clubs have in the cross-hairs. Unlike Cripps, who is the size of a centre half-forward, Merrett is relatively small, measuring a nuggety 180cm. He’s Essendon’s most damaging mid because, while Dyson Heppell has size and an indefatigable work rate, Merrett is quick and can really kick.

Zach Merrett remains crucial to Essendon’s hopes.
Photo: AAP

Smaller midfielders are easier targets than the bulls such as Dustin Martin, Patty Dangerfield and Nat Fyfe, each of whom has the size and power to win their own ball and can be relocated forward, where taggers fear to tread. Cripps, as yet, doesn’t have that versatility.

Merrett should brace for the kind of attention that another small and highly skilled midfielder, Marc Murphy, copped when the Carlton skipper became a major midfield force several years ago. If such attention is a kind of rite of passage for the elite young midfielders, it will be pronounced if they lack support or can’t adapt.

Merrett didn’t play poorly against the Dockers. He had 24 disposals, of which 15 were contested. Only twice in his career has he won more disputed balls.

Over his career, about 30 per cent of his possessions have been won in contests, and it’s evident that he’s most damaging outside the contest.

The Dockers, clearly, focused on - and succeeded in - preventing Merrett from getting in space, from having room to run and create. They did not stop Merrett winning the ball. They forced him to win it where he was less dangerous.

Merrett wouldn’t be on the opposition’s watch list if he was playing for Geelong behind the Trinity, or with the Giants, who have Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel and the rest. Merrett is first in Essendon’s order of midfield merit.

Essendon’s midfield has deficits in size, quality and experience. Darcy Parish is a kid learning his craft and, like David Zaharakis and Merrett, is just 180cm. Devon Smith, the pick of the seasoned recruits to date, is 176cm.

David Myers has a large body, but injuries have conspired against him. Brendon Goddard is nearly 33 and doesn’t play as a genuine mid. There’s a situation vacant in the midfield for a large-bodied insider – a Cripps/Josh Kennedy type – since Jobe Watson’s retirement. Jake Stringer’s career to date suggests he’s a part-time mid, at best.

The Bombers have high hopes for Josh Begley (188cm, 89 kilograms) and Kyle Langford (191cm, 90kg) as prospective midfielders. Free agency is another avenue to improvement and few clubs would be a better fit for Rory Sloane, assuming they can accommodate that hefty salary, which will be $850,000 plus.

In 2018, however, Merrett is the standout in the engine room. As an earnest and highly focused 22-year-old, he’ll be doing all the right things to meet the challenge of being the player that the opposition is seeking to close down.

In this era, when every act of violence – even careless acts – can bring suspensions, a player such as Merrett can’t rely on teammates to dispense justice and protect him as they might have a decade ago.

The modern midfielder has to discover his own self-protection racket, a way to free himself from grappling, blocking and other impediments. Dusty and Danger can be isolated in attack. Others retreat behind the ball.

For Merrett, the easiest remedy would be the one that worked so well for Trent Cotchin: to suddenly have a teammate whom the opposition fears more than you. In this case, someone who’s worth more than a Merrett.

3 Likes

Crossroads my ■■■■

1 Like

Oh Damn, we better delist him now to be safe…

1 Like

I reckon it’s a spot on article. Crossroads is a dumb headline, but everything that is stated is pretty spot on imo

5 Likes

So to summarise…we need a gun midfielder?

Right.

He really needs his teammates to help him out. Blocks, bumps etc to put the tagged off.

The kid works his tail off every game, but he needs help

4 Likes