#7 Zerrett in the beginning

Opposition putting more time into him, not getting any support from teammates (and probably coaches too)

Concussion.

1 Like

Has been a passenger lately

July 29th 2018

Zach Merrett has been diagnosed with Ostetis Pubis. Zach has been battling a groin issue from the beginning of the JLT series.

“We were umming and arring about whether we treat the issue before the season started, we thought we could get the issue fixed up within 3 weeks of treatment, but saw the best course for action was Zach to play the first 15 rounds of the season and see how he went.” Justin Crow

Merrett will be sidelined for 4-6 weeks as he battles to get fit again for the remainder of the season.

“It’s a shame to lose a player of Zach’s ability, but when one soldier goes down, we welcome another one in. And with that Matt Dea has come into the side, he has predominanetly played back pocket all season in the VFL, but we believe he can play a role through the midfield in Zach’s absence. A great opportunity for a seasoned player to play his role. We endevour to give young guys their chance, and when an opportunity comes up we will see guys like Langford, Clarke, Guelfi get their chance.” John Worsfold

3 Likes

If he is not out of the EFC he ought to think about it. We have a tendency of late to ruin good players and he was once one. We don’t have any one to bring the best out in him.

They put him fwd and kicks a goal.
If he’s getting tagged just play him fwd and only move him on ball when they no longer tag him.

Cannot handle a tag. At all.

2 Likes

True. But our midfield give him no assistance at all.

Given how important Zach playing well is to our ability to win matches I am stunned at how little his teammates assist him to get free in congestion.

Yep, we’re not working to free him up.

Nor are we remotely taking advantage of the fact that others are being afforded more space as so much attention goes to zach

1 Like

Good point they actually did this after half time, kicked a goal and disappeared into the midfield again.

Can’t handle a tag

Making bad decisions

Kicking has turned to garbage

Would drop him for a week, hopefully he racks up the touches in the VFL and gets his confidence back

Is he suffering the after-effects of his concussions? Can he not handle a tag (did he cop one last year?) I honestly can’t remember such a fall in form from Brownlow contender to close to being dropped to the VFL. Anyone have any analysis on him because everyone’s just like “meh, he’s in bad form”. He’s been poor all year including our Port win.

Who on our coaching panel would actually have any useful tips for him on how to handle a tag?

2 Likes

Even with a tag, he doesn’t seem to be the same player since he had those head knocks. He is a shadow of his former good form and looks surly. Not a happy bloke, Jan.

Yea he’s struggling but lets face it, Leigh Matthews in his prime would struggle to get a kick playing in this current Essendon team

I just remember him running, running, some more running and a bit more running.

asked to do too much inside right now? so he’s actually able to be tagged?

Concussion can last well past two weeks.
I hope we haven’t done the wrong thing by him.

I reckon we saw the beginnings of this last year to be honest. Turned it over more than the common consensus would have you believe.
Don’t get me wrong, even despite this he was playing elite footy.

He handled a tag perfectly fine in 2016 every week and averaged 30 a game.

He is in poor form, gets no support from his teammates and is devoid of any confidence at the moment.