#7 Zerrett in the beginning

I would prefer him to smash their face into the turf after he gets them instead of just a little shove to be honest

5 Likes

Fark. That’s quick.

Imagine how good he is gonna be at game 150-250!

How on earth is that even an issue? Intimidate your opponent however you can.

4 Likes

They all try to curb him for a reason. If he’s off the leash we cut sides up. Now we have some hardness and silk around him in the middle so we can do it anyway. He’s our most dangerous mid. Can’t wait until McGrath starts to give opposition coaches headaches about negating at the same time. Bags of dicks to be eaten by all.

2 Likes

Yep. I’d like to see him given the ball around the 50m arc to ping a few more goals. Was epic in that Shockers game in 2017 when he kicked those 4 goals. Helps out (more) defensively now & sets up play with his laser darts back into the corridor.

Reckon Zach might have the midfield around him to make some magic happen now. McGrath develops his inside game more and look out. Merrett, McGrath, Heppell, Myers (actually gets over his run of injuries amd gets a couple of solid season in), Smith, Parish, Zaka. Fanta. Tippa, McKenna, Saad, Stringer with the cameos. Lot of hard arses that run both ways and can get their own ball with good use. For mine the only question mark is Myers staying fit. That’s shaping up as a match to the benchmark. We really should be able to put together the best forward line next season amd with Hooker and Hurley back with our run and intensity in defense we should be able to beat anyone if it all comes together. Current form we would win 17 games this season. Current form. Including inaccuracies going forward.

3 Likes

Made that goal look way more easy than it was because of the way he set up. Swans were out of position and waiting for him to hit someone up. Just nailed it on the move from 45. See, that’s the other thing. We have a lot of goal smart players now.

1 Like

Or you know, snapped him one to the chin, …

You wot mate?? blink

Yea we need all our players to play nice football because we’re a nice team.

Ffs we finally show some mongrel, and people are complaining? I think it’s great.

2 Likes

Forgot it was Zach’s 100. He will be pumped and put in a big one. Reckon his team mates will get a lift too.

The team are riding a wave at the moment so I’m confident this landmark game will have a positive outcome.

Yeah, have some family matters to deal with, so unfortunately I can’t make it to both games. Tickets sorted for the Saints game, though. My missus & son’s first live games.

@Catherine_Lio - have emailed membership twice (as per your suggestion), but no reply in 8 days (6 business days). Was worth a try. Cheers, anyway.

1 Like

100 already?

Right, get him busy!

1 Like

1/3rd of the way there.

1 Like

Some heavy nesting you think?

Did Zerret cop a black eye? This photo at training looks like it.

And only worth a fine.

A nest, a roll in the hay, or even a dark alleyway behind industrial waste bins. I dont care, get it happening!

1 Like

You would be hard pressed to find a more driven young footballer than Zach Merrett.

The brilliant Bomber is set to reach a significant milestone against Hawthorn on Saturday as he lines up for his 100th game, and he has given himself plenty of reason to enter each day with gusto.

“I guess the inner drive of myself to try and be the best player for the club, to ultimately with premierships at Essendon is what I wake up for every morning,” Merrett said.

It isn’t a surprise to hear these words from Merrett, who has rapidly developed into one of the league’s ‘A-grade’ midfielders in his first five years at The Hangar.

“It is hard to believe that (I have made it to) 100 games so quickly, but ultimately, when you’re younger you set yourself out to play one game of AFL footy or try and get there.

“To have reached 100 so soon is something that I’m pretty proud of, for my friends and family around that have been so close and supported me this whole time growing up and now for the last five years at Essendon.

“It’s not only for me, but I think for all the people that have supported me as well.”

The 22-year-old credits his older brother Jackson – who was already at the club upon Zach’s arrival – with helping him settle into the high-pressure environment of the AFL.

“(I was) a pretty naive 18-year-old coming into the club,” he said.

“To have my brother there to support me and to ask silly questions, and to live with him for the first two years of my career was massive and something I’m very grateful for.

“I certainly look back on those (times) with fond memories and (am) really thankful for what he could do for me.”

To think that the outstanding player Merrett has become only entered his first game in 2014 is impressive, and he recalls his first senior game – a 39-point victory over North Melbourne – with great joy.

“I remember (I was) in the showers and Bomber Thompson walked through and said that I was going to play as a sub. The thought of playing was obviously nerve-wracking, but exciting,” Merrett said.

“I remember running out at the end of the third quarter and having to pinch myself looking around at the crowd.

“The boys had done the job in the first three quarters and I could come on and get some cheap kicks late in the last quarter, so (I have) some really fond memories of that game.”

From his 99 games to date, Merrett is most proud of two in particular.

“Looking back on that year that the boys were suspended (2016), to beat Melbourne in round two when we were written off for the whole year was something that was special, but in a different way,” he said.

“And then probably round one (in 2017) when those boys came back from suspension against Hawthorn and to win at the ‘G in front of 80,000 people was obviously a really special feeling and something (we were) really proud to be a part of as a group.”

Few fans could forget the important role Merrett played in 2016, where he even led the side to victory in the absence of then captain Brendon Goddard.

“Individually, I think to captain in that year that the boys were suspended at 20, looking back it’s sort of hard to believe I did that.

“But I was grateful for the opportunity that Woosha gave me and the boys certainly supported me on that day.”

After eclipsing his own club record for total disposals from a Bomber in a single season last year, Merrett has this season seen more attention from the opposition than ever before.

But he isn’t one to rest on his laurels. The young gun has broken through the tags in recent months, averaging over 29 disposals and helping drive the team along its purple patch of form in the last 10 games.

Merrett has seen the extra attention and challenges this season as an opportunity to further improve.

“It’s a real learning curve for me, I know that throughout my career you’re never going to be perfect.

“It’s just about improving every week and learning from every opportunity that comes my way. If you want to be a good player, you’re going to get more attention throughout the time.

“I know that I’m not going to win every challenge along the way, but I’m certainly striving to for the team.”

As the side continues to gather momentum, Merrett said he is extremely excited about what lies ahead for the club.

“I don’t think we’ve scratched the surface as a group yet,” he said.

“It sort of feels like this is our first real year together as a group and hopefully we can keep this group together for four or five years and taste some success together.”

5 Likes

What the hell are the club thinking??

They should know better, … “Merret reaches special marking point game”

FFS!!

4 Likes