#7 Zerrett in the beginning

We have ■■■■■■ zerrett. Just like Daniher.

Nino, RUOK?

4 Likes

@Finding_Nino right now:

5 Likes

To be fair a few suggested it would be longer than the expected 4 weeks and were shut down for being pessimistic.

It appears to be on the money now.

How does mild syndemosis compare to early onset OP?

Doesn’t everyone have syndesmosis, two for that matter? I hope it doesn’t eventuate to “mild leg”.

4 Likes

ummm, no

16 Likes

How is it that so many things relate to you?

4 Likes

tbh wasn’t surprised there was more to Zacs’ injury hopefully Browne is wrong

he dead?

How long does it take for syndesmosis to heal?

Evidence suggests that syndesmosis sprains typically require 6 to 8 weeks for recovery, but this is variable. Chronic pain, instability, and functional limitations are common after syndesmosis sprains.

What is the syndesmosis of the ankle?

Syndesmosis Injuries to the Ankle. The syndesmosis is the name of the ligament that connects two bones of the leg. These bones, the tibia, and fibula are between the knee and ankle joints. … A syndesmosis injury occurs when the foot twists outwards relative to the leg, a so-called external rotation injury.

What is the fastest way to heal a high ankle sprain?

You may need to be placed in an ankle walking boot, a supportive ankle brace or utilise crutches. Ice is a simple and effective modality to reduce your pain and swelling. Please apply for 20-30 minutes each 2 to 4 hours during the initial phase or when you notice that your injury is warm or hot.

People are still taking a Tom Browne report as factual?

2 Likes

A recent article on Orazio had him singing JD’s ability to set up the forward line and have it running as a smooth operating unit. Fantasia said it was JD who led the way and appreciated the communication he received.

2 Likes

R I P

Season over.

If that’s the case, then brilliant. I may have read too much into his 2018 season.

1 Like

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/zach-attack-how-a-book-about-michael-jordan-ignited-zach-merretts-afl-career/news-story/8f9f270df23c31053c5783147e089dd2

Zach attack: How a book about Michael Jordan ignited Zach Merrett’s AFL career

AFL

Tom Morris

Zach Merrett’s US adventures have also extended to London.Source: FOX SPORTS

Zach Merrett was borderline inconsolable following Essendon’s 61-point defeat to Port Adelaide in Round 3, 2016.

The Bombers were embarrassed on Friday night footy and Merrett cut a frustrated figure post-match.

Minus several of his teammates from the previous two seasons, the third-year player came to the realisation that he was neither fit nor strong enough to be the player he longed to be, despite amassing 28 touches against the Power.

A keen basketball fan, Merrett was part way through Relentless, a book written by Michael Jordan’s trainer detailing how ‘MJ’ went from “good to great to unstoppable.”

In times of deep despair, he found respite and inspiration in Tim Grover’s storytelling.

“It was the year the boys were suspended and we were going through a sh*t time,” Merrett told foxfooty.com.a u in an exclusive interview ahead of the Powercor Country Festival launch, for which Merrett and Tom Hawkins are ambassadors.

“We were smashed on Friday night footy. It was pretty embarrassing at the time.

“Grover’s book resonated with me massively. I thought my fitness wasn’t elite at the time and Jordan in the book wasn’t strong enough against Detroit in the finals. I don’t know why but it resonated with me.”

Dyson Heppell and Zach Merrett after a late-season loss in 2018. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

The Detroit struggles were in reference to Jordan’s early career struggles against the Pistons. They would brutalise him off the ball and when he did get it they would swarm him aggressively. Jordan’s Chicago Bulls fell to Detroit three years running, and it was only in 1991 on their fourth attempt when they succeeded.

Merrett, with this narrative at the front of his mind, had a light bulb moment that would alter the course of his career, although he did not know that at the time. He decided to embark on a trip to the United States post-season. It would be the first of three overseas adventures focused solely on becoming a better person and player.

To get the wheels in motion, he enlisted the support of John Worsfold, Mark Neeld and Dons sports science guru Paul Turk for guidance.

Not only did he yearn to become a more complete footballer, but the left-footer also had an unquenchable appetite to absorb culture, key values and leadership from the most revered sportspeople and sports clubs in the world.

To do so, he would have to fund a trip to the US himself, but that was a small price to pay to reach his goals.

“Paul Turk sent some emails to some contacts in USA and told me to concentrate on playing footy for a bit,” Merrett continued.

“He was happy to do the groundwork for me which was great. At the time it seemed it was planning a long way ahead but I knew it would take a lot of time to prepare for something like that.

“At Round 11 he came to me with a rough two or three week plan with places to go. It consisted of the Michael Johnson training centre, where we would focus on full power, running and dynamics in Dallas. That is where we kicked off.

“We used his contacts at Oregon University and some Nike contacts too. We finished at UCLA in Los Angeles. It was a rough introduction to training over there.

“I started talking about it at the club so Joe Daniher jumped on it as well. Orazio Fantasia came as well and so did (suspended player) Heath Hocking. It ended up being five of us together which was heaps of fun. I was pretty naive to America. It was a new thing.”

Merrett celebrates a goal last year. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

In the two off-seasons since Merrett’s first foray to America, his US adventure has rapidly become a key plank of his summer schedule.

In 2017, he spent two days at Harvard University immersing himself in a leadership course. There he took pages of notes defining his own style, which he concedes is still a work in progress.

While footy remains the clear priority, Merrett harbours ambitions to one day work in sports administration, perhaps in cricket in England or American sport. By his own admission, becoming a general manager of an overseas sporting franchise is his post-career “dream role.”

“I’m still working through what my leadership style is,” the former underage state cricketer said.

“For me it is more around preparing as best I can and displaying leadership qualities and expectations for myself. That’s the way I’m leading at the moment.

“I am also trying to learn as much as I can off leaders in this industry and other industries.

“I’m fortunate to have Chris Judd help me out a bit previously as well, plus Brendon Goddard. They’ve been very influential.

“We also went to a $120 million facility in Cleveland, Ohio. Eight of us went that year. I was there for seven days, then Boston for a bit too.

“I felt like I was getting fitter and had good seasons in 2016 and 2017. The next year I wanted to get more intimate around my personal development space, instead of just training.”

The next step for Merrett has been working on his leadership skills. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

In 2018, following an all-Australian 2017 campaign, Merrett was determined to take his overseas escapades to another level.

Unlike the first two editions, there were no teammates in the USA last November. Alongside Turk, Merrett undertook an intense and painfully rigorous 11-day training program in Los Angeles, followed by a week in New York running at Central Park and finally at a leadership summit in London.

The all-encompassing working holiday kickstarted his busiest off-season trip yet. And regardless of the financial cost, Merrett was adamant he would never put a price on becoming a better player and more accomplished leader.

“My brief to (Paul) Turk was to get really intimate with clubs and franchises over there,” he said.

“I obviously love playing and it was my dream. Knowing that footy goes pretty quickly, I’m trying to set up as much as I can.

“We went to LA and saw the Rams. It was amazing and we had really good access with them which was amazing.

“We met with the performance managers and saw how he runs his program, plus learned how they create their values and behaviours. Over the last two or three years they’ve gone from being pretty average to a Super Bowl team. It’s a similar path to what we are going through at Essendon.

“Then we went to Florida and were lucky enough to get great access to the Miami Dolphins and Miami Heat. I met the performance managers at both clubs.

“Miami was about discussing their leadership and leadership group and how they work and how they enforce standards and expectations. I went in questions on how their leaders lead and how their best players train and how they set standards.

“It was no surprise that the best players were the hardest workers, regardless of sport. The LA Rams’ mantra is ‘attack.’ You see the way they play is all attacking. They live out their values. It’s all about attack. It was interesting and everyone tries to do that but it’s how you bring it to life.”

The Leaders Summit at The Oval in London saw Joe Daniher join Merrett for the intensive two-day workshop. Simon Goodwin also attended, just as the Scott brothers had done in the past.

Red Bull Racing’s CEO and bigwigs from the NBA, NFL and English Premier League joined, as did a couple of English bowling coaches. The Royal College of Arts and Royal College of Music gave the conference even greater scope.

Just like Harvard in 2017, Merrett took pages of notes. According to those who have coached him, his thirst for knowledge and information is genuinely unquenchable.

And while in London, why not seek out Saracens Rugby Club for more insight into elite sporting cultures?

“Learning from Saracens rugby club in England and how they brought behaviours into their culture is something that Joe and I have tried to encourage with our group,” Merrett said.

“Performing is still the absolute priority more than anything. I’ve come back and tried to pass on some things to other players. “

Now back in full training after injuring his ankle while tackling Kyle Langford at training in January, the 23 year-old is expected to play more minutes against Geelong on Thursday night.

According to Champion Data , Merrett and Tom Mitchell are the only two midfielders to rank in the top five for disposals, uncontested possessions and tackles across the last three seasons.

While these numbers are impressive, it’s been the hidden work Merrett has endured overseas that’s allowed him to perform to a consistently high level.

The challenge 2019 presents is bringing his teammates along for the ride. And at 23 and with 103 AFL games under his belt, his post-career path is taking shape too.

22 Likes

We are so lucky.

12 Likes

Thanks Crameri.

2 Likes

FKN LOVE THIS KID!!!

3 Likes

Very switched on is this kid.
So grateful he plays for us.