#7 Zerrett in the beginning

This kid has tunnel vision for a flag.

Absolute jet and as much as I love McGrath this guy should be next captain.

Either one would be amazing though.

7 Likes

Theyll both get their crack id say. hopefully not that joint captains sh#t though.

2 Likes

Yep, not a fan of dual captains either.

Hepp (26 turning 27) captain for 2019, 2020, 2021 for me. Passing it onto Zerrett for 2021 (will be 26 turning 27) who captains for his 3 or 4 years. Onto Pidge.

We’re blessed to have such strong leaders putting their hands up.

3 Likes

Merrett and McGrath - peas in a pod in turns of their drive and vision.

As has been said - having one is great, but two makes it very special.

Plus there is Smith.

And then there is Shield.

No shortage of players leading the way.

1 Like

Leaving no stone unturned in his quest to improve, shows formidable drive and will lift others around him with his efforts. Good to hear he has got JoeDan tagging along with him.

1 Like

May be a bit unfair calling it ‘tagging along’.
Joey may have as much burning desire himself.

1 Like

Joe cops a fair bit of unfair criticism around here.

People forget he finished send in the B&F in 2016 and then followed it up with victory in 2017.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/joe-daniher-and-zach-merrett-to-pay-their-own-way-to-colorado-for-extra-training-ahead-of-preseason/news-story/357c126df6c3199cc831c674a071517d

Zach Merrett and Joe Daniher will pay their own way to Colorado for extra training. Picture: Hamish Blair

Joe Daniher and Zach Merrett to pay their own way to Colorado for extra training ahead of pre-season

KATE SALEMME, Herald Sun

September 18, 2016 3:09pm

ESSENDON young guns Joe Daniher and Zach Merrett will get a jump on pre-season by travelling to Colorado to undertake high-altitude training.

Merrett won the Bombers’ best and fairest this year after a breakout season and Daniher finished as the equal runner-up, with both keen to get even better next year.

The pair will be part of a travelling party of four who will pay their own way to the US state to train.

“It’s a great part of football to be able to combine a holiday with the profession,” Daniher said.

“We’re looking forward to the opportunity to get out of Australia and do some good quality training.

“We’re in a very fortunate position to play for this footy club and it’s something we love doing. We’ve got a great relationship and really excited to get away.”

Zach Merrett and Joe Daniher will pay their own way to Colorado for extra training. Picture: Hamish Blair

Gun midfielder David Zaharakis travelled solo to Boulder, Colorado at the end of last year for a two-week training block at a world-renowned high-altitude training zone, where the club had trained as a group before, in a bid to turn his form around after a disappointing 2015 season.

Daniher, who underwent post-season wrist surgery, carried the Essendon forward line this season and was a standout with his high marking and athleticism hallmarks of his game.

But the 201cm forward’s goalkicking continually let him down, booting 43.32 from 22 games and eventually lost confidence in his routine, turning to snap shots in a bid to turn around his form in front of goal.

Finding the routine that works best for the 22-year-old star will be high on his priority list this pre-season.

“Towards the middle of the year I wasn’t having a lot of success with what I was doing,” Daniher told Future Stars of his goalkicking. “I spoke to a couple of people and the idea of just tinkering with things and trying to add a few strings to my bow was the main idea behind it.

Joe Daniher struggled in front of goal again this season. Picture: Michael Klein

“I got some reasonable results out of it (the snap shots) and it felt really comfortable.

“I’ve got a lot of time now to work on it (routine) over the pre-season and I’ll come back at the start of next year with something really clear cut.”

The Bombers will welcome back at least nine of its 12 banned players next year, with captain Jobe Watson the only one yet to confirm his plans for 2017, while Michael Hibberd has requested a trade and Tayte Pears has retired.

The suspended players were allowed back at their respective clubs to train on Wednesday and Daniher said it was “special” to see his teammates back inside the four walls of Essendon.

“It’s a hard feeling to explain. It’s like seeing your best mates back at school when they’ve gone away for a bit,” he said.

“To walk in and see a smile on all their faces was something that was pretty special.”

1 Like

My fav player. An absolute jet. Reading of Zach’s childhood & Cathy’s (his Mum) health struggles, his love of family & footy, and his burning desire to improve, this bloke deserves every success. Might even wear my treasured Bombers jumper (with number 7 on the back) to work tonight.

9 Likes

Nice try JR but you’re not fooling anyone.

We all know you rock the #7 in honour of Leroy Jetta :wink:

4 Likes

Um, the name Bill Hutchison ring any bells, Azza? :grin:

1 Like

You must be nearly as old as @Alan_Noonan_10

2 Likes

Noons is 95? :grin:

2 Likes

Based on the strands i’ve put together from his posts over the years, i’m pretty sure he’s at least 10 years older than that.

This is a much stronger cable than WADA’s

2 Likes

Sure.

He’s no Leroy Jetta though…:stuck_out_tongue:

Can I at least have Solly then? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

No.

However I’ll allow Chris Daniher.

1 Like

Kicks get spoiled a lot. Anyone else noticed?

1 Like

No need for concern. Just a bit of preseason rust.

2 Likes

Looked awesome for first 10 minutes he was on. Needs a run.

1 Like