#7 Zerrett in the beginning

Also remember that the team had quite a few stars… Dal wasnt the ‘best player’.

Chris Mayne is a good example of dropping a senior player and making them earn it.

Came across from Freo with a big reputation and a big contract and Buckley had no hesitation in dropping him to the VFL even though his job was under heavy scrutiny at the time.

I am by no means advocating dropping Merrett though. He has plenty of credits in the bank.

2 Likes

Pretty sure David Hille got dropped as a senior player.

So… is Merrett over his virus?

1 Like

Dontgiveafarkitis can be hard to shake

1 Like

Surely they can give him a jab for …

yeah, nah, best not go there

The question was though, name a best player that a team has dropped to make a statement, especially after one poor game in a H&A match.

Not directing this at you KM, just using your post.

Most people on here seem to knee jerk react to everything. They love to scream “drop them” or “sack them” or various versions of that.

I can understand complaints against senior players and their different treatment, but that usually happens because they have earnt the credits to not be dropped quickly. There are times when you wonder, so Belly should be looked at for dropping if he again doesn’t make second efforts this week. If Zerrett again has another poor game I would look at dropping him. Same for Zaka, Myers, etc.

But you don’t do it after rnd 1, you give them another game to turn it around, especially if it is an unusual thing for them to do, such as Zerrett.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t drop Zerrett.

In fact I would have stuck with an unchanged line up.

I expect we will beat StKilda but that doesn’t necessarily mean everyone will play top quality football.

I would be looking at the guys that have under performed throughout JLT and RD1 and drop them.

We need to start rewarding good VFL form.

I think probably a dozen posters in here has Worsfold sacked in the game Day thread before the end of the first quarter.

If your out on the field, I hardly doubt your playing under a “virus”

Odd article. If your actually crook, you wouldn’t play. Regardless, if your out there to play, your deemed fit and you get judged accordingly. If for some reason your playing and you have the flu, or a injury that severely restricts you, then the medical staff are completely incompetent.

Bottom line, the whole merrett had a virus thing, is BS. Your either well enough to play, or your not. Dont come out 5 days later after he’s been blasted and tell us he was crook

4 Likes

It’s sounds odd because it’s just another typical Essendon lie.

I don’t support the round 1 loss, sack everyone reaction. Especially since everyone stunk.

I think what should at least happen is the players are given a weekly “score” and it is clear if they are or are not meeting expectations. And importantly, what the consequences will be by failing to meet expectations. It makes it clear and avoids surprises. They know they are going to be dropped if they fail to get a pass this week. Or they need to do better than a pass if there is someone in the VFL who has been banging down the door.

This may well happen. End of the day you need to build a stable side that has a core group of players who play well together week in week out. And into which other players can slot into as an opportunity presents itself.

Last season it took them 8 rounds to say Daniher was cooked.

Zach looked far from being right. But then so did most of the side. My feeling - he had a virus and combined that with the humidity made him cooked even more.

Bingo

But you need to get your tin foil hat on otherwise you are not doing it right.

have to get Mrs Doe to crochet me a tin foil beanie

2 Likes

It’s not tin foil hat! Essendon have been liying about player injuries / condition since Jesus played centre half forward.

(As an aside - when Jesus died and was left out of the side, Essendon said he just had a knock to the calf and would probably be right for next week)

4 Likes

they were right

1 Like

Yeah but they got like super lucky with that

says you Thomas

4 Likes

He didnt line up though, he missed curfew and we’re still waiting for him to come back.

1 Like