#7 Zerrett in the beginning

I came across this article today. Not only a great player, but a great role model as well. Let’s hope he can get back to his absolute best against the Swans

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/join-me-this-is-about-more-than-footy-zach-merretts-powerful-pledge-to-stand-up-for-gender-equality/news-story/123fdd46624605ea62e3705175e692d8

10 Likes

Great article, no surprise really, quality person from a quality family.

2 Likes

Last couple of weeks (like the early part of the season) Zac has, sort of been “cruising”. Think I’ve spied a shift in attitude this year… a strut/arrogance that doesn’t quite match the required intensity to complete his standout games. He helps the team more when he’s hunting the ball/player with intent, not these half arsed attempts at a tackle that’s crept into his game this year.

After the first 2 rounds he has been back to his best. He just had a poor game that’s all

Having Shiel playing next to him has really helped him

He just needs more help from the other mids

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve noticed it quite a bit this year. In years gone by his tackles stick and he buries them into the ground (legally) but this year I see a lot of ‘missed’ tackles or half assed attempts. When he hunts player and ball is when he’s at his best, and we look all the more better for it. First couple of weeks were a little quiet, then he had a green patch for 4 weeks. Last couple weeks just slightly down again. Still contributing, but he still has another level or two.

While he has looked a little flat at times he’s currently 5th in the league for pressure acts. I wouldn’t accuse him of cruising. He’s still working hard.

7 Likes

Can you please provide us with these numerous flaws so we can discuss them?

1 Like

Sure.

He isn’t hard enough at the contest and prefers to wait for players to give him the ball instead of going to get it himself.

Like many of our players he doesn’t push back hard enough to defend but has no problem running flat out when going forward.

He fumbles/2 grabs the ball too often.

He is too concerned about his own game and doesn’t do team things when he should be (Not in all cases )

There are other examples provided by others above.

some really soft efforts creeping into his game. would hate to see him develop that reputation.
More concerning is his lack of hunger to tackle which was a trade mark of his a couple of years ago.
Whole team tackling was poor last week, but as a member of the leadership group he needs to set the example.
Dev Smith cannot be the only one responsible for tackling in this team.

1 Like

i think youre wrong with several of these. one of his strengths is his defensive efforts and tackling. if hes waiting to have the ball given to him, thats generally because there are others in the contest and they need a player to feed to ball to on the outside. he always goes for the ground ball other than that.

Cant really speak for the pushing back as i havent noticed this

i would think his ball handling is pretty good considering his possession count. hes also good with his ball use too.

2 Likes

It’s a good chance that Raz wasn’t the only player sick over the last 2 weeks. I’d imagine a few of the players could be feeling the effects. Some worse than others. Expecting a typically brilliant performance from Zac this Friday.

3 Likes

People focus on what they want to in players. Sure he has some bad habits but he’s still our best player.

2 Likes

I am guilty.
I take Zerret for granted.
But we have to accept that if he is tagged he aill not play as well as if he runs free

Not sure how much of a factor it is for him but I’d never judge a player for playing with a bit more concern for their longterm neurological health if they’ve got a history of multiple concussions.

3 Likes

Agree with your point but that didn’t stop Zac between rounds 3-5 going particularly hard

I googled gender equality and found this. Haha, fantastic!

1 Like

That’s a cracker

Perhaps, being one of the few good deliverers of the footy in our squad, he’s been instructed to receive more than to extract.

1 Like

Yep, we can’t have all 15 midfielders going for the ball at once.

Interesting conjecture. And Smith “was told” to not run past his teammates to do their tackling. Wonder if players are given more defined roles - dos and don’ts - to better manage them through the year as well.