#7 Zerrett in the beginning

Hepps and Hurls can do no wrong according to Blitz.

1 Like

Yep.

When Cotchin elevated his game he went from a 30 touch player to 25 touch player that does huge amounts of defensive running and tackling. It lifts the side when you see that type of effort from your leader.

Hepp just turns the ball over far too much and does hardly any defensive stuff. He’s averaging 3.1 tackles a week which is incredibly low for somebody around the ball so much.

No doubt I will get flamed for pointing it out though.

4 Likes

Zach is one of the few who have tried to follow Devon’s lead in the defensive aspects of the game, he needs far more credit for that.

4 Likes

Not enough defensive intent, huh? Lets compare him to some similar players:

Lachie Hunter: 210 Uncontested Possessions, 58 Contested Possessions, 21 Tackles
Andrew Gaff: 187 UC, 71 C, 27 T
Steele Sidebottom: 188 UC, 75 C, 26 T
Mitch Duncan: 187 UC, 60 C, 35 T
Zach Merrett: 188 UC, 119 C, 58 T

Not only substantially more tackles, but also far more willing to crack in and prevent the opposition getting the ball.

Haters can GAGF. Zach is a gun.

17 Likes

Still think he’s underrated by so many people. Absolute jet, People are underrating his season.

5 Likes

I think we’ve got the cattle now in the middle to put this guy on the outside or up on a forward flank. Especially when he’s got a tag attached to his hip. Really need a classy player up forward who can also pressure and lock it in. We have an abundance of mids now and a few average fwds getting games.

He’s been pretty terrible this season IMO. doesn’t seem to be having the same impact with his disposal and hardly ever goes forward to kick goals.

He’s gone backwards. Not sure why.

1 Like

Agree. Defs been off his best most of the year.

He can’t get space. 2017 he was a great link out of defence. It’s very subtle but his possessions are more contested, inside, under pressure, handballing and less metres gained. Terrible is an exaggeration.

1 Like

He is still 23.

He is one of the top 20 midfielders in the comp, on the back of the past 3 years as well as form this year.

We have just got seriously high standards for him, and that’s fair enough.

If he goes through the next 5 years averaging 30 touches a game, 12 contested possessions and 5 clearances then we’ve got an A grade mid.

If he goes through the next 5 years averaging 32 touches a gme, 15 contested possessions, 8 clearances a game and 1 goal a game then we’ll have the best player in the league.

Either way, it’s win/win

4 Likes

Was well held until 1/2 time (hard tag by Curnow). For some strange reason, wasn’t tagged after 1/2 time & worked into the game.

Reckon he is still having a decent season (would be top 3-5 in the Crichton).

Doesn’t need to pick up 30 pozzies every week to be having an impact. His defensive efforts are outstanding. 8 tackles on the w/end to go with his 22 disposals. Is being harshly judged in here. Gun.

7 Likes

Terrible? ■■■■■■ hell you’re an exceptionally hard marker.
But yes, he’s been down a bit on his best.

Hopefully with Clarke coming in the deck chairs are shuffled a bit now and spends more time outside the contest where he can really threaten

2 Likes

needs to learn how to break the tag. He is getting (he might already have) the reputation that he can’t deal with taggers. He needs help from team mates for sure, but he needs to work something out when getting tagged. whether that is to go behind the ball, or goes up forward … I don’t think he has shown the forward craft or nous to suggest that the forward line is the best option, but I think he needs to work something out to move to the next level as a mid

Was one of our best players from R8-10.

By his standards, yep, terrible. I can’t remember him havin a season where he has impacted less in games.

Curnow is one of their better ball winners when not tagging, he was probably released from the lockdown role because Cripps had been completely shut out by Clarke and they couldn’t afford having another player not contributing.

4 Likes

Makes sense. Either that or he was switched on to one of our other mids.

Zerret on that stoopid show on 9

He copped at least 3 high shots that I can recall. Every week it seems the opposition try to iron him out. I think it is getting to him a bit as well. After Casboult got him with his shoulder in the last, Zac sprinted to the next contest near the wing boundary and had a swinging arm tackle attempt at Silvagni?? and would’ve been in trouble if it connected I reckon.
I love the guy and he cracks in weekly above his weight and is one of the players that can be relied on to keep plugging away.

2 Likes

Agree completely on the high shots- started early and seemed a deliberate tactic from them, given the number of different scum players who tried it.
On the other hand it did reveal the Hawthorn pedigree of Bolton’s coaching, where the only discernible coaching move was “ hit Zerrett in the head’.

1 Like