#7 Zerrett in the beginning

His kicks continually came up short… hope not a sign of injury

Seems to be worn out but never gave up trying.

Love Zerrett.

I’m not saying this based off last night (more so the past 2-3 years) but he can’t snap over 20 meters. Every time has has a snap at goal it falls so short.

Should just try to straight up and kick it facing the goals

Still our best player.

Pure production midfielder. Like I said earlier we have an A grader already.

If he grows his game to kick over a goal a game, a few more clearances and 100% DE that everyone here craves, he will literally be the best player in the game.

2 Likes

Sloppy night by foot sure but he busted his ■■■ all night, Had a few quick handballs in the last 2 mins that allowed us to win the game, Similar to Heppell.

Having a go at Merretts skills and not Shiels. How about Shiels panic kick attempt in last centre bounce. He didn’t even get his foot anywhere near the ball. He also stuffed up a certain goal when his hand ball fell 3 metres short

Just came here to post the same. Is there a worse player in the game at snap shots?

He kicked a snap from 45 against the Hawks.

But yeah, he hits the ball to close to the nose and doesn’t get it across his foot enough.

Do we have a skills coach?

Lovett used to do it…kick towards goal as if there’s nobody in the way. That snap from the free on the boundary. Kick the ■■■■■■ 15 feet high, not 5.

Should have a yarn to Langford about snapping goals- best snap-kick we’ve had since probably Hird or possibly Chapman.

4 Likes

It was on his right which he never seems overly comfortable with. Plus the angle…

I think he kinda did a similar one on his left a bit later in the game.

1 Like

Yep. That was a dodgy kick but the free kick I could excuse to a degree. However, a player of his ability and drive should hopefully work on his “wrong side”. It was on line, just too low.

I nearly broke the tv at my folks. Went from “we are actually going to get this final 19 seconds right, we never normally handle this situation well, I am so happy” to “I don’t care if it’s irrational, mum, the whole win is tainted now” so fast that my spirit has whiplash.

Is still by far our best mid. Had an off night de wise. But that’s rare for him.

2 Likes

Couldn’t believe my ears when Gerard Healy questioned whether Merrett is a good kick.

Easily our best field kick under 50 meters.

He coughed it up a couple of times verse giants but 1-2 of them were actually beautiful, straight drop punts but he didn’t see the GWS man zone off and intercept.

I admit his snaps for goal are poor as they can only travel 20m

1 Like

Redman says hi.

Nah he is better than Redman.

Whilst Zach has turned it over a little bit recently, he’s the one who goes for the hard kicks

I think Healy was right to question the conventional belief that he is an exceptional kick.

The last couple of years he has been missing his kicks more often than he was in the few years prior to that.

He is technically a very sound kick of the ball and hits a couple of daring kicks a game but I got to say, he has dropped his level in the last 18 months no matter how you spin it.

1 Like

Zac is one of the quickist players I’ve seen to sum up a situation, make the correct desision, then deliver the ball. He gets boot to ball so quick. It’s this combination of things that makes him such a weapon.

Not sure he is technically the very best kick in the team, but no one even comes close if you combine what I said above.

Redman, Ridley, tippa, mckenna, zacha, all lovely kicks. But zach is the most damaging.

2 Likes