#8 Jason Winderlich

Terrible List management? Fair suck of the sav.
The draft penalties farked us here.
Firstly, the club rightly believes we are a chance this year. Rather than beginning a rebuild they have done some renovations (The less risky of the two options) in the hope of an expedited premiership delivery.
Do you honestly think it was worth our freeing up Licha's list spot in order to pick a guy at 95 in the draft? Or do we manage Licha, a proven match winner, through one season getting him cherry ripe for finals.
This isn't latter era Sheedy list management lunacy, it's the club doing it's best to have a crack at a flag.

Quoted Post

Firstly, the club rightly believes we are a chance this year. Rather than beginning a rebuild they have done some renovations (The less risky of the two options) in the hope of an expedited premiership delivery.
Do you honestly think it was worth our freeing up Licha's list spot in order to pick a guy at 95 in the draft? Or do we manage Licha, a proven match winner, through one season getting him cherry ripe for finals.
This isn't latter era Sheedy list management lunacy, it's the club doing it's best to have a crack at a flag.

eh, he himself said his body was shot, resigned to the fact he wasnt up to afl standards anymore in terms of body stability.

proven match winner? yeah sure, but hes only on the park for 50% of the season, and when he'll be on the park is anyones guess

so essentially we kept him on the list on the chance that he is available for finals and on the chance that there is noone else to replace him, despite having a plethora of half back flankers who are ready to stake their claim

despite that he was talked out of his state of retirement.... you only do that when you KNOW what you are going to get, if ever

could have had long/ mckernan on the senior list... chances are one of them will now but thats not really the point

im sorry but i agree with ants, thats terrible list management

not to mention the fact that winders now has another back problem that hell have to carry for the rest of his life

hirdy won the bnf in his last season but still retired, so its not like its foreign for players to retire on good form.. should have pulled the pin for good

It makes little difference list management wise. If Winders retired last year Aylett would still be on the main list. If he retires now we can choose who gets promoted.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

eh, he himself said his body was shot, resigned to the fact he wasnt up to afl standards anymore in terms of body stability.

proven match winner? yeah sure, but hes only on the park for 50% of the season, and when he'll be on the park is anyones guess

so essentially we kept him on the list on the chance that he is available for finals and on the chance that there is noone else to replace him, despite having a plethora of half back flankers who are ready to stake their claim

despite that he was talked out of his state of retirement.... you only do that when you KNOW what you are going to get, if ever

could have had long/ mckernan on the senior list... chances are one of them will now but thats not really the point

im sorry but i agree with ants, thats terrible list management

not to mention the fact that winders now has another back problem that hell have to carry for the rest of his life

hirdy won the bnf in his last season but still retired, so its not like its foreign for players to retire on good form.. should have pulled the pin for good

bahhhh! Everyone's entitled to their opinion...
Though I will add that you absolutely flamed and disrespected Licha on here when you thought he might be going to Richmond, which makes me incredibly wary of your opinion on the matter...

PS - I wish him all the best!

from a list management point of view (assuming he doesn't get back this year, which might be the case), it's cost us about pick 70-73 (our next pick after our pick 53)

He's a good player when fit, he was always a 50/50 prospect, but I reckon you take a 50/50 at a good player at pick 70.

So settle down.

Quoted Post

from a list management point of view (assuming he doesn't get back this year, which might be the case), it's cost us about pick 70-73 (our next pick after our pick 53)

He's a good player when fit, he was always a 50/50 prospect, but I reckon you take a 50/50 at a good player at pick 70.

So settle down.

At pick 70 instead of Winderlich you could end up with a window licker!

Look, it's just my view. I said last year he should have been allowed to retire - I didn't rate his games outside the back half, and we are over-flowing with backline options. Given the stories about the shape of his body, it would always be a long shot that we would get that much out of him.

Sure, in draft picks keeping him around doesn't make a huge difference, just a 3rd round rookie pick. But it would be a chunk of salary cap between him and a 3rd round rookie, and it would have been a chance to add another tall and maybe some more balance to the list. Obviously this might never have happened, but how much better would the list look if we'd taken Mitch Brown with our 3rd rookie pick?

I really just mentioned it because I thought it was a bad decision at the time, and I'm a little angry at the club with the move, and upset for Winders that this is how he may go out. He's always been an unlucky guy.

Point taken and respected but yes, In the famous words of Cher, "If I could turn back time", we'd have Luke Parker, Joel Selwood and Nat Fyfe in our midfield.

Quoted Post

Look, it's just my view. I said last year he should have been allowed to retire - I didn't rate his games outside the back half, and we are over-flowing with backline options. Given the stories about the shape of his body, it would always be a long shot that we would get that much out of him.

Sure, in draft picks keeping him around doesn't make a huge difference, just a 3rd round rookie pick. But it would be a chunk of salary cap between him and a 3rd round rookie, and it would have been a chance to add another tall and maybe some more balance to the list. Obviously this might never have happened, but how much better would the list look if we'd taken Mitch Brown with our 3rd rookie pick?

I really just mentioned it because I thought it was a bad decision at the time, and I'm a little angry at the club with the move, and upset for Winders that this is how he may go out. He's always been an unlucky guy.

Ants, while I agree with the sentiment I think we have to consider it in the context of the saga as well. If Winders was a non SCN player then keeping him around was risk management in case of a bad outcome. If we could get him on the park then another experienced body/head may have been important in that context.

I also disagreed with him going around again if his body was shot, but you have to consider the context.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Ants, while I agree with the sentiment I think we have to consider it in the context of the saga as well. If Winders was a non SCN player then keeping him around was risk management in case of a bad outcome. If we could get him on the park then another experienced body/head may have been important in that context.

I also disagreed with him going around again if his body was shot, but you have to consider the context.

No

Because?

He wasn't kept around as insurance. His body does not allow him to be certain enough to be "insurance."

I doubt anything was done purely so that we'd have a team if players got rubbed out.

Quoted Post

Point taken and respected but yes, In the famous words of Cher, "If I could turn back time", we'd have Luke Parker, Joel Selwood and Nat Fyfe in our midfield.

Geez that would be nice....!

Quoted Post

He wasn't kept around as insurance. His body does not allow him to be certain enough to be "insurance."

I doubt anything was done purely so that we'd have a team if players got rubbed out.

Fair enough. I don't think he was purely insurance, but that it could have been a component in the decision making process if he didn't have a scn.

Of course you're right that having a shot body means he couldn't be relied on.

What a load of crap - he wasn't kept as insurance he was retained on the list because he is a potential match winner. This is evidenced by the fact that Richmond offered him overs to go there.

I recall when he first came to the club that many in know were saying he was our next hirdy. Such a shame that his massive potential went unfulfilled.

Congrats on the new baby licha and, if we don't get to see you in the sending half of the year, all the best wfor the next phase of your life

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
What a load of crap - he wasn't kept as insurance he was retained on the list because he is a potential match winner. This is evidenced by the fact that Richmond offered him overs to go there.

I recall when he first came to the club that many in know were saying he was our next hirdy. Such a shame that his massive potential went unfulfilled.

Congrats on the new baby licha and, if we don't get to see you in the sending half of the year, all the best wfor the next phase of your life

Good post. My sentiments exactly.

Yep I agree with you. For me licha will go down as the best 100 odd game player I have ever seen at the nighty bombers. Very elusive, great overhead but just as good down at his ankles. Very hard to match up on him. Also a very good kick. Hopefully he can make it back on the park because a fit licha definitely has a role to play in our forward line.

My sentiments on him are similar to the way my old man speak of Neale Daniher.

Both are potentially elite but the injury curse prevented us seeing their true potential.

Understand the sentiment, and entirely agree about unfulfilled potential (although fingers crossed he comes good in the second half of the year), but for me he's below someone like Dean Rioli as a 100 odd game player. And they'd both be well below Ramanauskas who'd be below Neale Daniher.

Fair to say Essendon have had a shocking run over the years....And that doesn't even include the many many games that guys like hird missed)

Gee that update on the club website from Doc Reid doesn't sound good.
I'll be really surprised (and pleased) if he ever plays again.

Quoted Post

Gee that update on the club website from Doc Reid doesn't sound good.
I'll be really surprised (and pleased) if he ever plays again.

The Doc is even older than Noonan, so yeah, I agree.