#8 Jason Winderlich

Look, it’s just my view. I said last year he should have been allowed to retire - I didn’t rate his games outside the back half, and we are over-flowing with backline options. Given the stories about the shape of his body, it would always be a long shot that we would get that much out of him.

Sure, in draft picks keeping him around doesn’t make a huge difference, just a 3rd round rookie pick. But it would be a chunk of salary cap between him and a 3rd round rookie, and it would have been a chance to add another tall and maybe some more balance to the list. Obviously this might never have happened, but how much better would the list look if we’d taken Mitch Brown with our 3rd rookie pick?

I really just mentioned it because I thought it was a bad decision at the time, and I’m a little angry at the club with the move, and upset for Winders that this is how he may go out. He’s always been an unlucky guy.

Point taken and respected but yes, In the famous words of Cher, “If I could turn back time”, we’d have Luke Parker, Joel Selwood and Nat Fyfe in our midfield.

Quoted Post

Look, it's just my view. I said last year he should have been allowed to retire - I didn't rate his games outside the back half, and we are over-flowing with backline options. Given the stories about the shape of his body, it would always be a long shot that we would get that much out of him.

Sure, in draft picks keeping him around doesn’t make a huge difference, just a 3rd round rookie pick. But it would be a chunk of salary cap between him and a 3rd round rookie, and it would have been a chance to add another tall and maybe some more balance to the list. Obviously this might never have happened, but how much better would the list look if we’d taken Mitch Brown with our 3rd rookie pick?

I really just mentioned it because I thought it was a bad decision at the time, and I’m a little angry at the club with the move, and upset for Winders that this is how he may go out. He’s always been an unlucky guy.

Ants, while I agree with the sentiment I think we have to consider it in the context of the saga as well. If Winders was a non SCN player then keeping him around was risk management in case of a bad outcome. If we could get him on the park then another experienced body/head may have been important in that context.

I also disagreed with him going around again if his body was shot, but you have to consider the context.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Look, it's just my view. I said last year he should have been allowed to retire - I didn't rate his games outside the back half, and we are over-flowing with backline options. Given the stories about the shape of his body, it would always be a long shot that we would get that much out of him.

Ants, while I agree with the sentiment I think we have to consider it in the context of the saga as well. If Winders was a non SCN player then keeping him around was risk management in case of a bad outcome. If we could get him on the park then another experienced body/head may have been important in that context.

I also disagreed with him going around again if his body was shot, but you have to consider the context.

No

Because?

He wasn’t kept around as insurance. His body does not allow him to be certain enough to be “insurance.”

I doubt anything was done purely so that we’d have a team if players got rubbed out.

Quoted Post

Point taken and respected but yes, In the famous words of Cher, "If I could turn back time", we'd have Luke Parker, Joel Selwood and Nat Fyfe in our midfield.

Geez that would be nice…!

Quoted Post

He wasn't kept around as insurance. His body does not allow him to be certain enough to be "insurance."

I doubt anything was done purely so that we’d have a team if players got rubbed out.

Fair enough. I don’t think he was purely insurance, but that it could have been a component in the decision making process if he didn’t have a scn.

Of course you’re right that having a shot body means he couldn’t be relied on.

What a load of crap - he wasn’t kept as insurance he was retained on the list because he is a potential match winner. This is evidenced by the fact that Richmond offered him overs to go there.

I recall when he first came to the club that many in know were saying he was our next hirdy. Such a shame that his massive potential went unfulfilled.

Congrats on the new baby licha and, if we don’t get to see you in the sending half of the year, all the best wfor the next phase of your life

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
What a load of crap - he wasn't kept as insurance he was retained on the list because he is a potential match winner. This is evidenced by the fact that Richmond offered him overs to go there.

I recall when he first came to the club that many in know were saying he was our next hirdy. Such a shame that his massive potential went unfulfilled.

Congrats on the new baby licha and, if we don’t get to see you in the sending half of the year, all the best wfor the next phase of your life

Good post. My sentiments exactly.

Yep I agree with you. For me licha will go down as the best 100 odd game player I have ever seen at the nighty bombers. Very elusive, great overhead but just as good down at his ankles. Very hard to match up on him. Also a very good kick. Hopefully he can make it back on the park because a fit licha definitely has a role to play in our forward line.

My sentiments on him are similar to the way my old man speak of Neale Daniher.

Both are potentially elite but the injury curse prevented us seeing their true potential.

Understand the sentiment, and entirely agree about unfulfilled potential (although fingers crossed he comes good in the second half of the year), but for me he’s below someone like Dean Rioli as a 100 odd game player. And they’d both be well below Ramanauskas who’d be below Neale Daniher.

Fair to say Essendon have had a shocking run over the years…And that doesn’t even include the many many games that guys like hird missed)

Gee that update on the club website from Doc Reid doesn’t sound good.
I’ll be really surprised (and pleased) if he ever plays again.

Quoted Post

Gee that update on the club website from Doc Reid doesn't sound good. I'll be really surprised (and pleased) if he ever plays again.

The Doc is even older than Noonan, so yeah, I agree.

Whenever I need recycled timber, I call Just Eco.

And so should you.

Just Eco.

Quoted Post

This is a reason the club struggles IMO, Sentiment over running the club like a business.

In a perfect world we’d all love Winder to be out there for 26 odd games a year. The reality was he was going to be lucky to play 15 at best.
Then you add ontop of that the mentality save him for finals, sure hey you over there play 20 odd games this year, but if we make it to the finals, you’re not playing cos we’ve got Winder set up for that spot.

in the end it doesn’t look like much, as some say it’s one spot, pick 70 odd whatever. You can’t run a success onfield business when you’re banking on injured players not being injured. Happened with gumby and continues to happen.

from a club pov they’ve gotta be more ruthless.

from a player pov you’ve just gotta feel sorry for the bloke, loves essendon, essendon loves him and he just can’t get out and do what he loves doing.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

This is a reason the club struggles IMO, Sentiment over running the club like a business.

In a perfect world we’d all love Winder to be out there for 26 odd games a year. The reality was he was going to be lucky to play 15 at best.
Then you add ontop of that the mentality save him for finals, sure hey you over there play 20 odd games this year, but if we make it to the finals, you’re not playing cos we’ve got Winder set up for that spot.

in the end it doesn’t look like much, as some say it’s one spot, pick 70 odd whatever. You can’t run a success onfield business when you’re banking on injured players not being injured. Happened with gumby and continues to happen.

from a player pov you’ve just gotta feel sorry for the bloke, loves essendon, essendon loves him and he just can’t get out and do what he loves doing.

Freo not running a business then.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

This is what has built our culture, and why players-through such huge adversity over the last couple of years, have stayed loyal.

Whatever we may deemed to have lost on a few individual cases of what you deem as sentiment, we have got back in spades in what we are calling in 2015,and what truly is- the ‘fabric’ of our club.

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Freo not running a business then.

Hawthorn too (keeping Croad for his last 2-3 years, Bailey’s entire career, and taking Stewie Dew when he was 130kg).

I think he had a pretty good idea of where his back was at last year. He got talked into coming back for one more year on the hope that this team could do well and it would be a shame if he missed out.

Disc problems are not something that is conducive exercise to the game of AFL. Particularly, if its been a long term problem. I’m speaking from experience about the injury itself. It is a very debilitating injury.

Licka, I hope you do whatever is best for you and your family.

Quoted Post

Understand the sentiment, and entirely agree about unfulfilled potential (although fingers crossed he comes good in the second half of the year), but for me he's below someone like Dean Rioli as a 100 odd game player. And they'd both be well below Ramanauskas who'd be below Neale Daniher.

Fair to say Essendon have had a shocking run over the years…And that doesn’t even include the many many games that guys like hird missed)

l would have Neale Daniher second on the list of great Essendon players around the 100 game, behind that bloke Coleman, reports are that he went okay, and could play a bit.