#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

The 50-100 game zone is where many players make the jump to the next level. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a small defender line up of MCG Glee’s and Conor.i reckon it’s our future going forward. It had a good amount of pace. 2 are awesome kicks and an intercepted. A kid very capable at locking down players and one of our most athletic and elite kickers.

All coached by pops of course.

1 Like

I still have my doubts with Gleeson. I have seen a few flashes of brilliance. And plenty of courage this year, but I always think of him as fringe best 22.

Especially with the likes of Dea, Mckenna, Brown, Francis all who can play in defence.

He Is light years ahead of Jackson Merrett.

I think if the midfield is dominant enough we can cover it.

The best small defender in the VFL was McNeice. He also provides an attacking option. But could we play three small backs of McGrath, McNeice and Bag’s size even if we did drop Gleeson?

Nope.

2 Likes

Is Gleeson still carrying the injury that had him doubt for round 1?

May be being hampered by it affecting his output.

And if so and he being picked when not fully fit, it says a lot for how coaches rate him.

Be interesting to see if any other changes this week outside of likely ruck change.

Being picked at every opportunity by 3 different coaches says a lot about how much they rate him.

Reckon that Gleeson is in danger of joining a long list of Essendon players who reach a certain level of development and then stagnate.

Think Melksham, Dyson, Lonergan, Jetta, Jackson Merrett and so on.

1 Like

It’s hardly a phenomenon unique to Essendon (or any club).

Either way he’s still quite young. I think his omission this week could have been as much about giving him a week off as his form. We did that a few times last year with the held over emergency being a planned rest for a young player.

Marty at his worst would offer more than Bags currently does

2 Likes

Marty playing on Eddie would give me nightmares

1 Like

Just playing on Eddy would give anyone nightmares.

4 Likes

And Marty being emergency didn’t get the chance to lift and have a crack in the ressies to prove himself worthy after being dropped.

Kinda negates the sting you might hope to give a bloke & any “I’ll show you!” factor, so he goes back with determination to do so.

1 Like

The Pidge will destroy him next year

I certainly hope not. He should be in the guts by then

I’d put monfries in there too.

I’d put James Hird in there too. He reached a certain level of development and then stagnated.

6 Likes

hes one of those rare players that looks like hell be able to play at half back while racking up 30+ touches there while defending. the kids a star.