#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

You could make a list like that at every club.

This is the elite comp in the land and generally only the real top talent mixed with a ruthless determination have long careers.

1 Like

It’s good to see Marty getting another crack. However, I was looking at our backline stats and think he has some work to do:

• The Good - Intercept Possessions. He’s the best of our defenders averaging 7.0 intercept possessions per game, followed by Hurley with 6.8, Brown with 6.7 and McGrath with 6.4.
  • The Bad - Meters Gained. Hurley averages 398m per game, Kelly 294m, Brown 282m, Bags 217m, McKenna 215m and Gleeson 205m. The only defenders with less are McGrath with 200m (handballs a lot) and Ambrose and Hartley with 134m and 120m (lockdown types). This surprised me given Marty is fond of a run.
  • The Ugly - Disposal Efficiency. 9 of our top 11 players are defenders with DEs of 90-75%… except for Marty. He’s 27th of 29 with a DE of 64%.

Hopefully he starts hitting some targets otherwise McKenna and potentially McNiece will go past him.

1 Like

Where do you find metres gained statistic?

AFL Live app… it has quite a few interesting stats

If he doesn’t play well tomorrow he won’t be seen in the seniors again. See J Merrett.

Can’t agree there. Legit twerp but a very good defender with a slight frame, if Marty ends up as good we win.

Watched half of the game last night, that Haynes for GWS was outstanding as a dynamic intercept marking, attacking defender. Would be sniffing around his avails next year or two. McG and that chap rebounding til the early morn.

It is also possibly the most rubbish of all stats fed to the public.
Swill, if you will.

1 Like

Yep. Rubbish for most players - particularly inside mids and forwards - but still interesting for comparing rebounding defenders.

1 Like

Watched the VFL game last week and he was bang average and didn’t look out of place in the magoos.

Surprised to see he got the call up.

Hopefully he makes me eat my words.

1 Like

Him and Zaharakis have pictures of Woosh

Sure of it.

1 Like

Thought the opposite. Didn’t dominate but class and poise was on display IMO

Must be the pics that Melksham left in his locker when he departed

Melk had Hird pics too. What kind of operation is he running exactly?

2 Likes

The “top 10 pick but not very good but badly need him to be good so give him more games than he otherwise deserves” kind.

Give him another 2 seasons before trading him for a late 3rd round pick.

Already one of our best and most consistent. Absurd. Speaks alot about where the team is

This guy is ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ He is a ■■■■■. Very weak at the contest. Average disposal. Overrated as ■■■■. Should of traded him to north when we had the chance. Never want to see him play for this team again. Weak as ■■■■. I’m half his size but i’d go in 10x harder than him if i had the chance to play for the red and black

1 Like

Pretty harsh imo

I don’t like him on a wing. His best attribute is his intercept marking, and on a wing he rarely gets the opportunity to do that. I’d rather have Gleeson back and McKenna on a wing.

6 Likes

Today was the first time I realised he’s going to find it very tough to reach his potential.
I think we have another Zaka on our hands.
I thought he’d step up last year into a greater role and I think he did well enough to keep his spot.
This year, I was hoping he’d take Kelly’s role in the back 6 away from him but he just can’t do it often enough.

I agree with Windy. He isn’t a wingman. He’s a back flanker. Who’d have thought we’d actually draft a back flanker who couldn’t help the midfield.

He won’t be delisted at the end of the year bevause we have so many players with more question marks, but he’d want to show more at AFL level otherwise he could disappear just like Jerrett.

1 Like