#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

That’s pretty unfair.
Hindsight is always 20/20 etc

Blitz never forgets, love it! lol

There were a couple of times that he tried to do too much and was caught out. I don’t mind it though because he was trying to make things happen and that’s better than just being conservative all the time. He just needs to understand his limitations and work around those and he will be a solid player for us for many years. There’s a lot to like about him.

Maybe.
And maybe some people will learn to have a bit of patience, remember that not only are these kids learning their craft, and want to do their best far more than some punter online wants them too - but more importantly, they are farkin young men who don’t deserve to be spoken about like that, particularly in their own supporters forum.

So in hindsight - no, it’s not unfair.
At the very least, what would be fair, is for the same descriptions to be applied to you.

15 Likes

My 2 main criticisms with Gleeson are that his disposal gets lazy and he thinks he’s faster than he is.

Saw a bit of it last night but not enough to besmirch a good game.

1 Like

He’s about to be on future stars on 9 after ad break

2 Likes

Ta for that man.

Spent more time plugging sponsors than talking to Marty. 63kg in his draft year, made him a smarter player as he had to avoid wrestling with big bodies. Says Conor has been dominating training for weeks.

3 Likes

The VFL is being used for our young players to work on their deficiencies and come back in the 1’s better.

Who woulda thunk it?

When Langford comes back in, I’m sure the plan will be to stay in!

5 Likes

Fwiw I’m calling him Matty Lappin because he gets don’t argued a half dozen times a game.
Still think he gets caught with the ball too often but otherwise he was very good last night

1 Like

I’ve thought his last 2 weeks have been excellent for the most part. I’d take this form for the rest of the year to the bank and book him in a spot down back every week if he keeps this up.

3 Likes

Wow, I obviously saw his game last night pretty differently from everyone else. I thought it was terrible. Rather than retype it, I’ll just post what I did in the match review thread (sans Myers commentary).

1 Like

It wasn’t my comment that was unfair

1 Like

Still like him. Don’t get the hate.

The two stiff arms from SPP were unfortunate but he’s not alone

1 Like

I’m not in the fan club, but to me I’m noticing him as a much better player a d contributor then he was before he got dropped. I’m sure it’s not in my imagination that he seems to be playing taller and chopping in with some intercept marks. Maybe it’s not that many, but I dont thing he was ever know for that before.
Just seems to be a thing he’s doing more of than he did before. Maybe it’s just a sign he’s been told to back himself a bit more. I like it anyway. He’s definately playing better

He did drop 2 or 3 marks he’d normally take last night. Don’t understand any of the other criticisms.

1 Like

Both of them caught him high straight in the face and should have been frees to him for high contact.

Pretty easy to pull off effective don’t argue when you are allowed to shove your hand in the unexpecting opponents face.

Hence the Channel 7 commentators joygasm over his “don’t argues” being up there as the best in the comp with Dustin Martin’s and Ben Cunnington’s, being absolutely ridiculous.

1 Like

Finish your reps…eat some meat…do 10 more reps…then have a protein shake…then do 10 more reps…eat some more…

Ok, I said to @Henry_s_Angry_Pills if I rewatched it again, I’d record Gleeson’s impact on the game to see if I got him right or was maligning him. I did watch it again (I’m sure I’m not alone on that!), and kept my word. Here it is. All times as per on Fox footy’s clock. Unless otherwise stated any references to distances, or forward positions, is in relation to Port’s goals. I’ve tried to count possessions to see if I caught them all.

Quarter 1

• 18:20 nice float in front of group for intercept mark on end of goal square. Kick (1) to 50m boundary, three on one, Stewart though gets it out for ball in.
  • 17:50: came through the middle, got handball from McGrath and kept running through centre. Kicked it (2) long to Hooker 1:1 which led to first goal for us.
  • 11:51: The “Bags 50m call” when he didn’t throw it back right after in the back call on a Port break. The Port player then kicks to free man in D50. Gleeson next closest after Bags to the player on his own. Bags got closest to him despite being the one throwing the ball back. Gleeson started closer to our goals, but could see the free man and didn’t just burn to get there.
  • 10:35: quick kick centre clearance, bouncing ball on wing. Gleeson keeps front position on man and slaps to Colyer who is away.

Quarter 2

• 19:20: Port player changes direction and goes around Gleeson, kicks into F50. Gleeson had peeled off to stop him, but he went around and kicked a goal.
  • 18:29: He’s on Wingard who collects as running towards pocket and takes kick at the goal. Note, as ball came into the Bags/Gray contest, Gleeson is 5m off Wingard closer to contest. Wingard uses gap and better reading to collect ball at pace and create some separation from Gleeson (albeit, running towards pocket).
  • 17:53: Ryder free kickin ruck. Kicks in. Gleeson’s man (Wingard) easy mark. Although free to Dixon against a hold on Hartley. Gleeson was in front of Wingard, but just let him run around him and jump at the ball unopposed.
  • 16:31: On wing as they break. Gleeson is in space as his man Wingard is further up the ground. Peels over to corral, who passes to wider man (Wingard). Keeps corralling, likely most reasonable move.
  • 15:43: It is kicked in deep. Gleeson peels off Wingard for intercept mark at top of square. Goes off the top of his hands, Dixon picks up but then fumbles as kicks. Actually bounces back to Gleeson, who now free handballs (3) to player in space.
  • 8:41: marking contest 25m out. goes over both heads. Gleeson then tussles with Wingard as he tries to turn around and chase. Gray appeals for free. No whistle, McKenna collects and clears. 50/50 on if it was a free kick.
  • 3:42: Kick into F50, dropping ball. Gleeson leads man who has to punch it out to stop chest mark by Gleeson.
  • 3:22: Touched ball kicked into pocket. Gleeson picks up with space. Runs and bounces, then turns around and kicks (4) back to Kelly. We keep control.

Quarter 3

• 19:39: Port kick from centre clearance. Gleeson is in one on one, and Wingard out marks him. Gleeson doesn’t really get close to spoiling.
  • 18:27: As we break Gleeson peels to corner of centre square. Takes an uncontested mark. Pauses, then tries to run around man, fails, then handballs (5) to McGrath.
  • 14:48: Fend off #1. Unfortunately, SPP isn’t high, its on the top of his shoulder. After fend off SPP kicks the goal.
  • 10:59: Handball receive in corridor. Kicks (6) long as tackled to 2:1 with our 1 being Raz. Port spoil then clear.
  • 9:21: on the wing. 1 on 1 marking contest. Gray out positions Gleeson, but can’t hold mark. Gleeson then wraps him up in tackle, throw up. The umpires “not think it was so didn’t pay it” incident.
  • 8:53: deepish. Port player on ground handballs directly to Gleeson, who is immediately tackled. Ball up.
  • 8:38: Kicked to hotspot. Gleeson positions under for mark, Port player knocks out of hands just in time coming across to make contest.
  • 8:10: Howlett on back flank kicks across 50m arc into space where Gleeson is steaming out from deep. He collects, sees Hurley on wing and kicks (7) up and under into space. Hurley runs over and collects, hands off to Gleeson who kept running, tries to cut inside through two Port players and is pinged.
  • 6:12: Bounce 30m out. Gleeson on 39 who gets it, Gleeson wraps him up, another bounce.
  • 4:26: In centre, Zac gets it, hand ball to Gleeson, handball (8) back.
  • 3:42: Kicked quickly along line. Gleeson comes across as third man but stays down. Tackles player picking up all, but gets it out and forward. Others pressure, back to the man who tries fend off on Gleeson. Is definitely high. Although Zac actually gets the free for holding the ball as he grabbed him post fend off (presumably ump missed it was high, but saw that as opportunity).
  • 1:13: Port are clearing it from their D50. Chip kick to Toumpass on the boundary at the 50m arc. Gleeson gets there just as marks. Umpire calls play on, Gleeson doesn’t react. Toumpass kicks up the ground, runs on. Receives handball on outside from next contest, kicks up to free man near 50m arc. Gleeson nowhere in sight, Toumpass must have run past him. Ends up in goal to Ah Chee.

Quarter 4

• 19:01: Ball up near corner of square. Out to Port player. Heads for Gleeson. Baulks one-way, back the other, Gleeson now out of position as he sails past. Luckily the twit kicks into Kelly who cuts across and jumps up to get hand on kick.
  • 15:18 SPP gets off pack, runs at Gleeson. Baulks left, Gleeson follows, cuts back and uses don’t argue on Gleeson to get past and handballs to Westhoff for a goal. Again, wasn’t high, was on the top of the shoulder.
  • 10:26: Peels off wing to try and impact uncontested mark by Port player. Too much space to make up, but does hold him up slightly. However, handballs from ground to passing player.
  • 7:19: Clearing kick out of our F50 goes to Gleeson. Easy mark, quick kick to McGrath (9).
  • 6:55: From the point kick out from above entry by us, goes to contest. Gleeson tackles man, who gets it out.
  • 6:39: Throw in on their wing. They punch forward to 60m out nearish the boundary. Gleeson just allows his man to go forward as Myers coming other way. Gleeson’s man wins contest, out to other Port player arriving from contest who kicks over head of contest to Dixon. Misses his shot.
  • 5:55: Kick out to Gleeson in pocket. Mark, kick (10) along the line.
  • 5:21: After F50 turnover Westhoff in centre. Goes to handball over Gleeson’s head to running player. Gleeson jumps up, gets finger tips to it, comes back down on him. Collects and passes (11) to Myers. Goes forward for Heppell goal.

I have to rush to bed so will do any opinions tomorrow.

6 Likes

I agree with ants on this one. I don’t mind marty but thought he was poor the other night compared to the rest of the team. The week prior he was superb but the other night i thought a number of dropped marks, wingard got hold of him early in the 2nd and 3rd, 2 don’t argues that resulted in goals and the time he ran back into 2 tackles was pretty dumb. I think he is a reasonably smart player but i still worry about his lack of strength and especially how that would hold up in finals.

I’m a fan of Marty but I’d prefer Dea in the side at the moment.

1 Like