#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

I don’t gaf what anybody says, I thought Marty had a good game.

Let’s analyse the ■■■■ out of all the other players’ games and see if we can convince ourselves that they had poor games.

8 Likes

Almost goals don’t get counted, why would almost marks?
You can’t say either of them had a win.

Gray thought he should have got a free kick! Can you narrow that down for me, from just about every time Gray goes for the ball.

A few weeks ago, memes were talking about how Gray didn’t return to Adelaide with the team…he was still being held in Geelong.

I would contend that Gray himself initiates most contact by backing into his opponent, and consequently shouldn’t get free kicks. I’d argue the same with Tom Hawkins, only he often grabs his opponents first, provoking a return hold.

Gleeson had a solid game. Very reliable intercept mark.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree that the review is limited. Also, it is quite possible that other players’ games when put under the microscope would also have multiple areas for improvement. And of course if he was giving good communication, or standing his man way out of TV shot, I’ve not picked up on that. In fact, unless he or his man somehow impacted the play, I deliberately didn’t record Gleeson’s presence in the TV shot.

Why do you say I “wanted to see that”? Is there a perception that I’ve got it in for Gleeson? Or that I so want to be right about my perception of his game from the ground, that I was automatically biased in the review?

Several people said this. He had one intercept mark, and one where he intercepted but was spoiled. His other two marks were passes from EFC fans. So why has this been mentioned a number of times.

Oh I don’;t know…

Blitz consensus after the game “Good game by Gleeson.”

You: “I’m feeling reasonably comfortable in my view he had an absolutely rubbish game”

1 Like

Yep, maybe if you had changed ‘absolutely rubbish’ to ‘an average game’, we wouldn’t be having this rather long-winded review and counter-review.

1 Like

How did this happen? I missed this. Now I’m doubting this review of yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

You missed that streaker? Are you blind??? :slight_smile:

If people can’t see that he has come back into 1’s and is more assured with ball in hand, then you are blinded by your prejudice.

And in just a few weeks it’s probably not that has improved his kicking or decision making as much as working efficiently within his limitations.

1 Like

He’s 22 and has 58 games experience to his name.

I would expect that we would be somewhere close to seeing what type of player he is.

He’s still got considerable weaknesses, and if you can’t see that then I don’t think you are being honest with yourself.

He doesn’t rack up high possessions or setup play in a position that is your primary function. Intercept markers are an integral role in todays football yet he has low figures for intercepting. He offers little run out of the backline and his defensive attributes are very weak.

Both Francis and Ridley are both taller and stronger and both are much better marks. If by this time next year one of those two hasn’t displaced Gleeson I would be surprised.

I thought he was pretty solid and played his part for the team. Some good things and some poor things. Those fend offs where both high and he should have been rewarded free kicks. He certainly has a few weaknesses that I hope he can improve. I do however think he has more upside then Dea. I do rate Dea and think he is a better pure defender, but suffers when it comes to attack compared to Gleeson.

Id persevere with Gleeson for now but Dea is breathing right down the back of his neck in the 2nds, and did nothing wrong when he got dropped a few rounds ago.

I really hope he can develop into more then a fringe player, he is a good reader of the play a great mark, and very courageous. The things that make me wonder if he will make are, his strength, kicking, and he lacks a yard of pace at AFL level for the plays he trys to make.

3 Likes

The Dea vs Gleeson convo wouldn’t even be happening if we’d kept Hibbo who has all the required attributes that each of those two only have some of.

Will continue to ■■■■ me off

Though do you recall how people were turning on Hibbo towards the end?

Moved this here where it is more relevant than cluttering up the Stewart thread.

I think your definition of a “little analysis” and mine is probably quite different. But then, I work in statistical/financial modelling. :slight_smile:
And sorry, but when a player is involved in half the opposition’s goals, when he’s playing on a guy who is back for his first game in 4 weeks, but that player has 2-3 shots on goal, 7 more disposals, and twice as many marks, I don’t define that as a good game. I thought he was one of only 3 poor performers.

He was on Port’s best player and stopped him having any sort of influence other than 2-3 blatant dives.

1 Like

The Ant analysis might well be correct. But we need to make some allowances for his opponents.

At times Marty was opposed to Robbie Grey, the highest rated midfielder/forward in the AFL.
At times Marty was opposed to Chad Wingard top 5 rated small forward in the AFL.

Hurley, McKenna Zac and McGrath transitioned out of defence so effectively it only remained for Marty, Baggers and Kelly to pick up a few kicks and mop up a bit of the sorry mess that constituted Ports time in the forward half.

2 Likes

His man had 18 possessions, 2 shots on goal and would have had a third if Dixon hadnt been awarded a free (Wingard marked 35m out in that contest). In his first game back from injury. How is that no influence?

And was involved in 3 other plays where he could have impacted, didn’t, and they scored.

I think you’re underestimating how good robbie gray really is.

I say he had no impact because I watched the game and he had no impact. He had a shot when they were 50 behind and another when they were 40-odd behind. Nil impact.

And you’re still doing this bullshit cherry-picking-and-extrapolating trick where he could’ve done X if only Y
Guess what, if every one of gleeson’s kicks had bounced through everybody and gone through the goals, he would’ve kicked about 7 from the back pocket. If your auntie had balls…

1 Like