#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Bias not objective

Bias not objective

Bias not objective

You say you do statistical analysis, then let your natural bias come through with these 3 comments. No AFL player just lets their opponents do things unopposed, otherwise they would be playing VFL instead. If he has been outplayed & beaten by his opponent, these things happen. I hate to tell you this, sometimes even players as good as James Hird got beaten by their opponent & it looked like he didn’t give chase or whatever - but they don’t just let their opponent do what they want (which is a way of saying they gave up), which is what you are suggesting with 2 of your comments.

The other one about 50/50 free kick? Really, that was worth mentioning? is it because there are hardly any 50/50 free kick instances in each & every game of AFL ever played (sarcastica font)? 50/50’s happen 50 times a game x 8 games per round by 22 round per year, so we have 8800 x 50/50 free kick examples every year in the H&A & you reckon this particular one was worth mentioning ?

He kept Winguard, an All Australian who kicked 3 on the weekend & is one of Port’s most dangerous players, goalless. He is probably spotting him about 8kg too, which means Winguard should be out muscling & out marking him every day of the week in a 1 on 1 tussle.

3 Likes

You want to talk abou things not worth mentioning? Wingard’s not exactly some sort of physical monster. Gleeson’s always going to be giving up size to anyone remotely his height. If he can’t win a one on one marking contest with Wingard (who he’s three inches taller than, by the way), he’s not going to win against anyone he’s ever likely to play on. It’s like saying McKernan would be better in the ruck if other ruckmen weren’t just so damn tall. It’s true, but totally irrelevant.

1 Like

McKernan aint going to get taller though is he.

Gleeson can get stronger, has already gone from 186cm and 70kg when he arrived to 191cm and 84kg. So despite having a growth spurt he has still put on 14kgs. He should put on the last 4-5kgs over the next two preseasons which will give him the strength needed.

To put it in perspective other players around the 191-193 range including Hurley, Ambrose, Watson, Francis Goddard and Langford are all >90kgs. I doubt Gleeson will end up as strong as some of those beasts, but he should bridge the gap.

4 Likes

Excellent first half by him tonight.

1 Like

I love ya Gleeson, but MAN… it’s like all our horrible nightmares about his lack of strength just became a reality in literally the worst way possible. Got absolutley ragdolled like a pretzel.

1 Like

One of our bests, tonight. Great game, Marty. Don’t let the last few seconds get you down. You did what you could.

5 Likes

After 5 years or so, still needs to put on 8kg of muscle for his position

Dying seconds of a close game isn’t his strong suit…

I thought he had a pretty solid game outside of that.

1 Like

Of all the people he should not have been in the goal square, abject failure of the structures.

5 Likes

Will probably play 200 games and be a premiership player. So…something to look forward to.

2 Likes

I somewhat doubt these days that any player makes a decision with how much weight they put on or even the conditioning / strength regime they go through.

2 Likes

Which surely should have been a free kick to Gleeson…

He has improved markedly IMO but that final piece of play to seal our fate is so Marty Gleeson that it isn’t even funny.

Not only that, but how on earth is there not a loose on the goal line?

why would you play behind your man on the goal line, if the ball goes over it’s a goal anyway?

Was great up until then, but yeah, he’s prone to those sorts of brain fades late in games which is his undoing

He was in front, up until Rohan rassled him behind.

4 Likes

The ■■■■■■■ goal mouth was open with Gleeson the only one on the the goal the line.

Why the ■■■■ wasn’t the space filled?

1 Like

The bigger question is why were there 3 sydney players first to the drop of the ball that let them have a clean shot at the goal face in the first place?

Before that why did not a single player run to create any other options for Goddard to kick it too?

Why would Goddard kick to himself with 25 seconds on the clock?

The mind ponders at how hard this team works to give games to their opposition

Tell you what though, that winning mark and goal is ugly for Gleeson, he was literally thrown aside like a little child pretty pathetically, and it lost us the game.

2 Likes

You are blaming Gleeson he was not alone but there were many things, others did in that last four minutes when we looked like winning. They celebrated the win too soon and opened the door for Sydney to walk through and they did. The team did not back up in the goal square and block Sydney’s entry. Goddard’s shocker kick which was smothered and where were our tallest players when we needed to flood the backline? Nowhere to be seen.

I am sure the players are hurting but will we learn from this and will it be edible etched in their minds for future reference??? I hope so.

Great game.

Got manhandled by a far more powerful player. I don’t blame him for the loss.

5 Likes