#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Marty's Back!!!!

I thought he left to become a Fireman???

Marty Gleeson and my kids have a lot in common. Playing for the mighty Bombers before they are born.

Marty's Back!!!!

I thought he left to become a Fireman???

you’re confused with Andrew Lovett-Murray

Party

Remember this:

AFL: Martin Gleeson a star on the rise
23 Nov 2012, 9:23 a.m.

A PHONE call from Essendon coach James Hird signified Martin Gleeson’s rise from teenage talent to AFL footballer.

The Bombers took the skilful Koroit and North Ballarat Rebels defender with pick 53 in the AFL national draft last night.

Gleeson, 18, watched the draft unfold with his family in Koroit and spoke to Hird and Essendon chief executive officer Ian Robson shortly aferwards.

He met Essendon officials in Melbourne on Monday and had an inkling he could become a Bomber, but was surprised to be taken as early as he was.

“They seemed pretty positive and I was looking where their picks were, but I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much or anything,” Gleeson said.

“They said ‘we like the way you play, you make good decisions when you’ve got the ball’.”

Gleeson, who spent one year in the TAC Cup system, will join Cobden’s Jackson Merrett at the Bombers.

“I have to be down there by at least Sunday because we’re going to the Gold Coast for a training camp,” he said.

“I just can’t wait to get down there and get training. They seem like a good bunch of blokes. It’ll be unreal.”

The lightly-framed teenager, who at 70kg was one of the lightest players at the AFL draft combine in October, said he would love to make his senior debut in his first season.

“I’ll probably play a lot of the year in the VFL,” Gleeson said.

“I will probably have to put a little bit of weight on, so it would be unreal if I could play one or two senior games.”

Gleeson’s mum Claire said it was “unbelievable” watching her youngest child fulfil his dream.

“I think he was a bit surprised and couldn’t believe it either,” she said.

"It’s been very much a whirlwind. We feel very lucky.

Martin made good choices. He’s always been his own man."

Going up to school in Ballarat was all his decision.

“We said if he wanted to go to St Pat’s we’d support him and if he didn’t want to go we’d support him also,” Claire said.

“It has paid off big time.”

Claire said Rebels coach David Loader and region manager Phil Partington and St Patrick’s College coach Howard Clark were important in helping her son this season.

Well done Marty, at draft pick number-53, It’s been a pleasure watching you develop and progress within The Essendon football Club… Long may it be so.

Still looks like the least likely person in that photo to have been drafted.

Marty's Back!!!!

I thought Beachcomber already signed?

Has he left yet?

well done Marty, now HIT THE WEIGHTS!!!

FFS can we move him in with Dean Rioli or Jay Neagle. For the love of god can someone take him down to Hungry Jacks for a triple whopper burger.

Great news. I like Marty. Good hands, reads the play well, fantastic intercept mark. Much to look forward to. Imagine the guys love being around such a happy character.

What is with people’s obsession with him putting on weight. Is it really holding him back all that much if at all?

Good on ya Marty, I have always rated you and think you are building a career nicely. One of my favourites.

Remember this:

A PHONE call from Essendon coach James Hird signified Martin Gleeson’s rise from teenage talent to AFL footballer.

The Bombers took the skilful Koroit and North Ballarat Rebels defender with pick 53 in the AFL national draft last night.

Gleeson, 18, watched the draft unfold with his family in Koroit and spoke to Hird and Essendon chief executive officer Ian Robson shortly aferwards.

He met Essendon officials in Melbourne on Monday and had an inkling he could become a Bomber, but was surprised to be taken as early as he was.

“They seemed pretty positive and I was looking where their picks were, but I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much or anything,” Gleeson said.

“They said ‘we like the way you play, you make good decisions when you’ve got the ball’.”

Gleeson, who spent one year in the TAC Cup system, will join Cobden’s Jackson Merrett at the Bombers.

“I have to be down there by at least Sunday because we’re going to the Gold Coast for a training camp,” he said.

“I just can’t wait to get down there and get training. They seem like a good bunch of blokes. It’ll be unreal.”

The lightly-framed teenager, who at 70kg was one of the lightest players at the AFL draft combine in October, said he would love to make his senior debut in his first season.

“I will probably have to put a little bit of weight on, so it would be unreal if I could play one or two senior games.”

Gleeson’s mum Claire said it was “unbelievable” watching her youngest child fulfil his dream.

“We said if he wanted to go to St Pat’s we’d support him and if he didn’t want to go we’d support him also,” Claire said.

Claire said Rebels coach David Loader and region manager Phil Partington and St Patrick’s College coach Howard Clark were important in helping her son this season.

Well done Marty, at draft pick number-53, It’s been a pleasure watching you develop and progress within The Essendon football Club… Long may it be so.

adonis

That’s M Gleeson?

just feels good to get another contract out of the way.

Marty's Back!!!!

This bloke could eat Gleeson and not look any different.

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Martin Gleeson has agreed to a two-year contract extension.

The new deal will see the agile defender remain at the Bombers until at least the end of the 2018 season.

Gleeson said he has confidence in the football program established under John Worsfold.

“I’ve really enjoyed my first season under Woosha and I’m excited to be continuing my career at Essendon,” Gleeson said.
“The bond amongst the players is really strong, we have made some great progress as a playing group this season, we are demanding elite standards of each other and building a really strong team culture.
“We know we have plenty of hard work ahead of us if we want to compete with the elite sides in the competition, but we also have so much to look forward to in 2017 and this is a team I want to be part of.”

Gleeson joins Aaron Francis as the second young defender to re-sign with the Club this week.

Despite his wiry build, Gleeson is known for his courage, often launching in front of packs to take intercept marks. He also thrives on transitioning from defence into attack with speed.

General Manager of Football, Rob Kerr, said the young defender had continued to show great signs of progress in his game.

“Marty has proved himself as an important part of our senior list and an important part of our future,” Kerr said.

“He is a highly respected member of our playing group and the competitive spirit he brings to the side each week is invaluable.

“Since Marty arrived at the Club he has displayed great professionalism and maturity. The players are building a strong culture based on hard work and upholding elite standards, and Marty will continue to play an important role in driving this next season.”

The 22-year old played 20 games in his fourth season with the Bombers.

This season also saw Gleeson reach his 50 game milestone in Round 22 against the Western Bulldogs since making his AFL debut with the Club in Round 1 against North Melbourne in 2014.
List and Recruiting Manager, Adrian Dodoro, said Gleeson was the epitome of a heart and soul player for the Essendon Football Club.
“Marty is a reliable and consistent performer in our senior side, we know every time he pulls on the Bombers’ guernsey he is going to give his all,” Dodoro said.

“He will benefit greatly from the return of his senior team mates as he continues to develop his game and we believe he still has his best football ahead of him.”

“Marty is a fantastic young leader and ambassador for our Club and we’re really looking forward to what he will contribute to our line up in 2017 and beyond.”

Gleeson was recruited from North Ballarat in Victoria and selected by the Bombers with pick 53 in the 2012 National Draft. He made his debut against North Melbourne in the opening round of the 2014 season.

Hard not to be happy with this!
Don't worry, someone will manage it.
Hard not to be happy with this!
Don't worry, someone will manage it.

Hmmm. Not being happy doesn’t do that to me.

Remember this:

Photo taken in 2012…

EAT SOME FARKEN STEAK MARTY!