#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Out of his depth last night… needs to improve… did a couple good thing but mostly bad…

He certainly defends space a hell of a lot better than he defends a direct opponent.

Did some really, really important things last night, and it can’t be denied that his intercept game is probably the strongest of all our current defenders.

But his one on one defending is still quite suspect imo.

1 Like

I thought he was good. Was sitting high up in the stands and from that view you can really appreciate what he is doing.

Every possession he gets he runs at a clever angle and kicks at the 30-45 degree angle which really opens the game up. When it comes off we normally end up on the fast break. Unfortunately it isn’t coming off every time which makes it looks like he is turning it over a lot. But the kick he is trying to execute is high degree off difficulty, its not like he’s shanking an easy pass.If he continues to improve that attacking element to his game is a huge asset.

Agree his one on one still needs work.

2 Likes

I thought he was exceptionally poor at the game, but watching the replay I thought he was quite good

dunno

1 Like

I hate him one on one under pressure, he panics and gets out muscled relatively easily. That being said he’s at his best when he’s allowed to affect the contest third man up, and running from half-back in space. I guess we just have to make sure he never gets isolated deep.

3 Likes

Deserves criticism for a few mistakes which cost goals but equally made reversal plays that created goals. He’ll be disappointed with the mistakes but I’m inclined to think his overall impact was positive

5 Likes

It was real mixed bag last night from Marty. He made a real effort to give us drive off half back which I liked and took a couple of nice marks but on the flip side his kicking was inconsistent and he panicked on a few occassions when there ground ball situations in defensive 50.

Solid first up effort with a bit to improve on.

3 Likes

This. I’d like to think(as a critic of him) his pros outweighed his cons, however he has to get a little better at making sure his clangers aren’t big ones that lead to goals as at least two of them did.

Round 1 though and we won, party due to him being part of the rebounding contingent. Given he kept out a few players I expect him to lift his game as the season goes on.

He is a work in progress, has not yet got anywhere near his potential playing celing. You can see what he is trying to do, take the game on, he is adventurous as he is ambitious. Keep taking the game on Marty.

2 Likes

get rid of the mo.

1 Like

If he does that, he’ll never get into a bar.

5 Likes

Good, we’ll avoid any ■■■■ circumstances like hurls and degoey.

1 Like

Was a real mixed bag last night.

Did some really nice things and also some really ■■■■ things.

There was a real bad standout in the last quarter with the game still on the line and he had to go and put on a chase to try and corale a few Hawks players and instead just practically stood there instead and offered nothing at all and the Hawks got it away incredibly easily.

If he improves another 5-10% then he becomes a very good player, if he doesn’t then he won’t have the career that he deserves or should have.

1 Like

Probably a bit lucky not to give away another HTB to Rioli. Really surprised that wasn’t paid given the love for Rioli.

His set up for fantasia’s drop kick goal is peak gleeson imo. needs to just get it and bolt and do a long penetrating kick forward.

Daniher was just as lucky not to get pinged for pretty much the same thing,

The thing with Gleeson is the mental mistakes he makes, they are exasperated by the fact he is a defender and sometimes result in scores. It’s easy to see what he brings to the side theoretically. He is long, has good hands and can run. But I don’t know how comfortable I would be in him with ball in hand in a close semi final.

He has played over 50 games now, it’s time to stop making those sort of mistakes or at least having a hall pass for them.

I already have more confidence in McGrath to make the right decision and he as played 1 game.

4 Likes

The criticisms most have for mckenna are the same with gleeson. but no one wants gleeson dropped.

just saying.

2 Likes

Agree and Connor has played less footy

He made some mistakes, as did others.

I thought (probably along with Heppell) that he was really important in steadying the ship early in the last. A few really important touches.