#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Because we’ve got so many other clearance mids!

5 Likes

Not the worst idea as he plays good footy sweeping across the back half but out of all our mids, Heppelll & Belly had the best connection in the centre. Hepp also showed he was increasingly willing to scrap at the bottom of the back for the hard ball alongside Myers as one of our ‘bigger’ bodies.

For me personally it would be hard to lose what little of the above scrap and ruck-connect we have in the centre.

1 Like

Hey he’s great over head, and can read the play. Not afraid to take the kick in board to open the play right up and he can direct traffic.

Bit like a hodge style role, and can have stints in the middle.

Have enough guys to go through middle now

Smith
Parish
Myers
Merret
Stringer
Walla
Raz
Zaka
Mcgrath

All capable

1 Like

I find Matt Dea hella uninspiring. Reasonably competent, but zzzzz.
He’s on the list to be Gleeson coverage, but at this point I’d rather us aim to develop something good (in the form of Ridley or Mutch or Redman) than settle for something reasonably competent.

1 Like

It’s our weak point even at full strength.

If it were a one week thing… eeehhhh maybe. But we really only have 3-4 legit, proven clearance mids; we cannot afford to move one of them as a medium term move.

2 Likes

I think Reboot suggested Langford play half back even before Marty’s injury, really starting to warm to that idea.

I’d suggest Bj will now play predominantly back. Shame Francis isn’t around because it’s an obvious opportunity and unfortunately Ridley is not yet match fit.

Bags may well come in, brown or dea I guess. My problem with dea is decision making which is crucial playing across the half back.

Another one gone for the season

1 Like

That’s the reality sadly given the length of time it will take him to get back up to speed.

I’m devastated by this news.

2 Likes

Youd assume a defender , any defender has a better chance of winning that stat.

Just like youd assume gleesons clearances would be equal botrom.

Bummer, really feel for the bloke. His intercept work is going to be missed.

Bugger.
Interesting how a player some didn’t rate as best 22 is now seeming hard to replace, and a serious blow.

Ridley is the obvious development for mine.
Mobile, can play on small and third tall, good overhead and clean at ground level, uses the ball by foot effectively, especially in the switch of play.

The other options - Brown, Dea, Redman ( and the perennial red herring of Hooker) can do some of that, but have serious weaknesses in other areas.
Brown (Hooker) - mobility and playing on smalls
Dea - disposal and spreading the play
Redman - needs to improve overhead, but ok otherwise.

I’ll take the Ridley stuff off to the Ridley thread.
Best of luck Marty

Ridley or Francis might get their chance throughout the season, but I’d say Goddard will be permanently playing in defense this season.

Bring on The Langford!

3 Likes

Just imagine how much muscle Marty can build during his rehab.

Gonna be massive.

4 Likes

Essendon confirmed on Monday that Gleeson will miss a large chunk of the season and will require surgery.
“Marty suffered a major fracture to the front of the talus and a minor dislocation to the subtalar joint in his foot,” said Essendon’s football general manager Dan Richardson in a club statement.
“While this is an uncommon injury, we are fortunate he in the safe hands of our medical team and Mr Andrew Oppy who will conduct the surgery this morning.
“We expect Marty to be sidelined for 12-14 weeks, but through a successful rehabilitation program we believe he could be in a position to return after the bye.”

Langford? Give me a fkn spell

6 Likes

ENTER the REDMAN

3 Likes

Was looking really good and then that happens.

Sucks for Marty and sucks for us.

Dea should replace him

1 Like