#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

You have a rude lid?

How far away?

Had the boot off at Werribee last weekend & looked almost crippled, hobbled around.

7 days later much improved, could walk normally at Windy Hill on Saturday

I have said it before but good on him for being so active with VFL team

13 Likes

Is it just me or does Marty actually look like an adult now, and not a 16 year old hoping the bouncer doesn’t notice his fake ID?

1 Like

As many would know on this thread I’ve been critical of Gleeson and wanted Dea played ahead of him. That is because I don’t rate his one-on-one defending. At all.

But IMO Gleeson should be being prepared to take over Goddard’s role next year, which I think he could excel at. The loose defender/winger, who is third up and the distributes it out of the back half. I think Gleeson is very good as third man up interceptor, good speed, and good distributor. That role would play to all of his strengths, and let him avoid his weaknesses (which, as stated above, are IMO his actual 1:1 defending). And if he is forced into a 1:1, he’d likely be better than Goddard.

If we’re going to play the extra looser defender who doesn’t follow up the ground, then I think Gleeson should be prepared for it over preseason this year.

3 Likes

I think he’d be great in that role as well. But where does that leave Francis? Next in line, or do you see all of Franga, Gleeson, Hooker & Hurley in the back 6?

is he a chance to play in the vfl this year? i hope so.

Franga in, Hurley out.

Saad - Hooker - McG
Gleeson - Franga - Conor

Fighting for that role and as one of the two/three tall defenders, depending on the opposition team.

It depends on where Hooker plays. Most would know I’m a fan of him forward, in which case a Hurley/Francis combination as our main tall defenders sits well with me.

I’d have Saad & McKenna as locks. Dea, Redman, Guelfi and McNiece fighting over a defensive position. Hooker/Hurley/Francis over two tall positions. Ridley/Francis as third tall. And Francis/Ridley/Gleeson over the extra man/Goddard role.

1 Like

Won’t happen.

Redman/Dea — Hooker — Francis

Saad — Hurley — McKenna — INT: Gleeson

1 Like

Yeah I know. Kinda sucks.

Gleeson starts coaching the VFL team = we lose every game since?

(No, I don’t remember what week he started.)

He was coaching at Box Hill the last game we won, I guess it took a week for it all to fall into place

I’d move Conor onto the wing and have Gleeson and franga amalgamate into interception 2umvirate

Pity

Looking forward to getting Marty back in 2019.

1 Like

I think the backline next year should be

Saad Hooker Gleeson
Francis Hurley McKenna

With Redman move to the midfield starting best 22.

6 Likes

Almost forgotten player, but one with a lot more talent than maybe his body previously allowed him to realise.

Recent photos of Marty show he has put on considerable upper body size. I am really looking forward to what he can bring in 2019

I like that Marty’s got Carlton heritage. And we’ve got him.

1 Like