#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

I like the boy. I've watched the last few minutes about a dozen times, and I slowed down the last seconds to see exactly what people were talking about. It seems to me he and Breust were running full tilt back to the marking contest and Breust just beat him there. At no point was he ever in front of him, at no point could he have done anything other than run as fast as he could to the contest. And Breust was doing the same. Breust had a metre on him when Rioli kicked it, and beat him to the contest by three. I've seen comments suggesting he could have taken his run or done something else to prevent him getting the ball, I think you're looking at the Hooker contest, and that's exactly what he was doing.
It's all in reference to what was shown on 360 last night. They had Goddard talking about it and could show some up the ground camera angles that highlighted it. As Goddard said, it was just a little bit of inexperience, he allowed his player to get goal side and then was ball watching a little bit. I don't think the main play shows it anywhere near as much.

Turned out (luckily) ok, and he and the team will learn from it.

Have you read the Melksham thread?

Quoted Post

We will 'gift' games to this bloke during the next 5 seasons (like Melk, like JD) when he has the inevitable 'form slump' because the coaching group sees the big picture, rather than drop them every time they have a 'form slump' - the DP method of coaching.

Bomber T saw the big picture & kept playing Gleeson last year (even comparing him to Corey Enright) & fast tracked him back after injury for the finals & Jimmy is going to do it also.

When you have a bloke who is obviously AFL standard, you keep playing them in the AFL not the VFL, till they get to around 100 games, then you will reap the rewards.

I must have missed the bit where DP said to drop him? Did you read his post?

We will ‘gift’ games to this bloke during the next 5 seasons (like Melk, like JD) when he has the inevitable ‘form slump’ because the coaching group sees the big picture, rather than drop them every time they have a ‘form slump’ - the DP method of coaching.

Bomber T saw the big picture & kept playing Gleeson last year (even comparing him to Corey Enright) & fast tracked him back after injury for the finals & Jimmy is going to do it also.

When you have a bloke who is obviously AFL standard, you keep playing them in the AFL not the VFL, till they get to around 100 games, then you will reap the rewards.

Quoted Post

I thought Jobe was on Rioli in the last 15 seconds? May be maybe not.

Well that’s been said a lot, but in truth… Rioli was on Jobe. And it wouldn’t work any other way, realistically.

Hirdy…

I thought Jobe was on Rioli in the last 15 seconds? May be maybe not.

I don’t think Gleeson will spend the prime of his career at HB. I purely believe it is a stepping stone.

In 2 years he will play midfield and watch out… going to be a very special player imho.

Heppell, Gleeson, ZMerrett will be our ‘A’ midfield combo in 2016-2020.

Gleeson is being fast tracked.

He is a smart player and will be better for the experience.

The new plan will be if there’s 15 seconds to go; Ambrose heads to the opposition goal square to bury any crumbers. And when I say bury I think you know what I mean.

Gleeson still needs to improve, but he has a lot of tools to do so. I’m not totally convinced that the back-line should be his gig long term.

Will never need to worry about paying bills through his ready supply of skills.

Poise and time

Gun

If Einstein and McGuyver ever had a kid and if he ever played footy…

Broke at least two tackles. Must be a hell of a lot stronger than he looks.

For some reason he reminds me of marty mcfly (maybe because he is small and his first name is marty?). Theres my new nickname for him; McFly

edit; i hope they dont destory him like they did with melksham by trying to "bulk him up"

Very impressive along with Ambrose. We have added a bit this year with those 2 and zerrett

Bob murphy clone. But better. Expression on his face looked pretty funny in some of those mid contests.

What is his tank like?