#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Typical Gleeson game last night - good courage a couple of good things but 4-5 howlers , 2-3 of which led directly to opposition goals.

Just like every other week. His good makes you want to play but his bad outweighs the good.

Over and over again.

It’s like Groundhog Day.

He either has to improve his weaknesses or needs to be replaced. Right now his weaknesses are still the same 3 years on e.g. poor kicking/turn overs often under no pressure.

Taylor was on Zerrett a bit too

1 Like

I think Brisbane tried a few players on Merrett. Even sent Robinson to intimidate and get under his skin in the last qrt. Didnt fase zac, he just used his gut running to make robinson look second rate

Divisive, courageous Essendon defender that makes mistakes, who does that remind me of :thinking:

2 Likes

Interesting player. His timing and reading of the play to provide the run-past for someone under pressure to get the handball recieve is often sublime. Seriously good.

But his reading of the play doesnt seem to stretch to the next move, what he is to then do with it, until he has the ball. it often isnt pre-thought and that delay causes him and us problems.

Clearly its partly in his own mind. But i also wonder if it isnt due to lack of run elsewhere too. He needs an obvious release point like he provides to others.

Id put up with the mistakes a bit longer and let he and Mcgrath bunker down and build an understanding re rebounding from the talls.

From what ive heard, he’s also atopped growing and a bit of body mass might come next preseason. He needs it. I still think there’s an excellent prospect in this kid.

4 Likes

A “Funnybones” reference?

Apart from Harwood, McStay and Frost, that is.

Geelong carried one player for his whole career and made people think he was okay: Mackie.

Not even the best defensive side had all brilliant defenders.

1 Like

Not sure what u mean CJ, … but it is a lean on an old joke?

Don’t get how this bloke gets a game. Does a couple good things coming off half back a game and is courageous but Gleeson makes so many dumb mistakes during games which result in free kicks to the other team, he can’t kick and he gets pushed out of heaps of contests due to his fetus size. I would rather see Dea play based off his form last year or even Mcniece based on what I’ve seen in the VFL and he has apparently been best on ground in the last 2 VFL practice games.

He is under pressure to keep his spot but i reckon give him one more week. Mckenna, jerrett and dea all lining up for a crack at his spot.

Needs to take first option more often.

Agree it is an old joke, it was used in a movie “Funnybones,” which is brilliant.

1 Like

Struggling to find anyone with a positive to say about Marty, apart from Woosha

SENs observer rated Marty as a rating of 6, " blanketed Taylor for all but 15 minutes" I wont quote the bit about plenty of courage, as this does not cut much ice with those in entrenched anti positions.

The same observer rated the following players lower than Marty:
Hartley 5 , Howlett 5, Ambrose 4, Langford 5, McGrath 5, McKernan 5

So are we looking at Martys body of work this year, or the Brisbane game. ?
Is there pressure on him for next week?
Yes, but theres also pressure on some of the the others above, eg. McKernan, Howlett and Langford.

1 Like

If we’re in the business of dropping our promising kids who need games and development for recycled depth players and old jobbers, we are dead set going nowhere.

vote 1 for mediocrity

1 Like

A one on one contest when they are not kicking the ball to you is always going to have a negative result over the course of the game.A one on two will also have a negative result,you cannot always get hold of the ball so there are tun overs when trying to advance the ball.
If our defensive backs were playing well than the other side would be scoreless.Some times the opposition are better than you.

If they gave Ambrose a 4 and McGrath a 5 then they either didn’t watch the game or are fools… Wouldn’t out any weight in that.

Let’s be honest; Marty was set for a big 2017, has started average at best and would probably be disappointed he hasn’t performed better.

Am I worried? No
Should his spot in the team be debated? Yes
Is there currently a better option (someone who can play small, bigger and run as carry)? No
Will Marty have a good year in our team and play 22 games? I tend to think yes

6 Likes

We are in the business of putting the best possible side on the park every week, Marty has been playing for 3 years and while still young is a quite experienced AFL player. He has several players striving to get a place in the side. Its a competitive game. It would be really good to try Conor, or McNiece, who played a cracker of a game in the VFL,

1 Like

This is good honest discussion. So much better than the belittling attacks that some resort to. He has definitely played better, and will again, but he is always willing to take the game on. He takes risks, and there is nothing wrong with that as the reward can make a huge difference. All of the better players makes mistakes when they take risks but their good usually outdoes they bad. Marty will get better and eradicate many of those mistakes form his game.

1 Like

You and I have a different definition of “quite experienced”.

Marty has played 53 games in 4 years. For me thats quite experienced , 100 is experienced, 200 is very experienced 250 is a veteran , 300 is probably a champion. Much more than that and you are probably a legend…