#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Played the role as a third tall which is not his preferred position - Had a good match up in Himmelberg who is a developing player - He may not get suitable match ups every week.

1 Like

I’ve been one of his harsh critics in the past and I will concede his overall game improved against GWS by producing fewer clangers/ turnovers. If competition for spots has forced him to improve facets of his game and this is his new standard, then great to see.

Good list depth and competition for spots is a wonderful thing.

This was good to see.

I saw a bit more focus and composure with ball in hand.

Not trying to do quick side kicks, or baulking and just throwing blindly on ze boot.

This is where his turnovers were killing all his good intercept and aerial work.

I saw a change,and if it becomes regular, well he’s a keeper.

Would have to have been his best game at AFL level. His intercept work and disposal was great but he was a lot better in the contest as well. Really impressive!

Or maybe …he is a talented kid who is improving over time. You never know.

2 Likes

Impressive game, Gee he is courageous in the air and a great mark. There is a very good player in there somewhere.

2 Likes

Really justified his selection over Dea. Great game.

4 Likes

87% DE! Great game. He’s best 22 if he can keep hitting targets like that.

4 Likes

Played well.

Need to get stronger so that his tackles stick. I think this would make him a far more confident player.

Good intercept mark and attacking defence. Stays in.

2 Likes

I liked his game but I don’t see it as his best game. He’s had quite a few good to very good games.

2 Likes

There was a goal that basically happened because Baguley had to abandon his man to help Gleeson tackle the guy with the ball.

It annoyed me at the time but in hindsight the player in question was Patton, so I might have been expecting a bit too much.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t mind seeing some of that marking in the forward 50. Sneak him down a bit more often.

Quickly becoming Matthew Lappin V2.0

1 Like

Fantastic, complete, game.

2 Likes

Two of his best ever games in a row I reckon.

At one stage he has to stand trengrove. Trengrove had the ball kicked to him on the lead and somehow gleeson got in front of him to spoil and then i think take the ball away.

A few times he got into a one on one contest with westhoff and more then held his own

Well done marty

1 Like

Really good signs from Marty - reckon the sting of being dropped has been significant. I’ve thought he has some important skills from very early on - I think it is clear he is rated internally and I hope that he can become the ‘Matty Lappin’ of our club in time. The most promising aspect of his game is that he clearly has the ability to read the play and be creative - and does this well, however with an extra 5-10% physical development he could really elevate to an A grade half-back. My sense is this is the view the club have taken and I have faith that this kid, a number 55ish pick could be a genuine component of the resurgence.

3 Likes

Sean Wellman type

Thought Dea was very stiff to be dropped a couple of weeks ago but Marty has looked like a different player since coming back in.

Is playing the way everyone hoped he would.

4 Likes

Just to relive a classic…

1 Like