#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Gleeson is our Andrew Mackie.
And Mackie was integral to Geelong’s backline when they were at their peak.

3 Likes

This is blitz. You’re either in the reserves or AA. There is no in between.

10 Likes

Exactly.

For mine, Gleeson well and truly entrenched himself in the best 22 last season.

He isn’t a superstar by any means (maybe he can be? Who knows?) but I think he is an integral part of our backline structure now.

His intercepting and rebounding was so important to us last season.

4 Likes

Just chewing through the AFL prospectus and came across this stunning stat.

Gleeson won 45% of his one on ones, ranked number 1 in the league for players who competed in 40 one on ones or more (a pool of 56).

21 Likes

Wow… that is amazing.
Is there anywhere to indicate how many he lost and how many he squared? I’d be curious to see if he lost a high percentage as well and had a low percentage squared

He loses 32.6 % of contests, slightly above league average for general defenders of 31. He makes 3 spoils a game, above average of 2

1 Like

Mah boy xx

How does Saad, McKenna, Baguley and Gleeson all fit into the back 6…

Suspect McKenna will be playing lots of midfield time in 2018.

Big fan of Gleeson and a good example of why we should be more patient with Langford and Laverde.

and his form so far this preseason looks to be brilliant. He’s also taller, fitter and stronger. Go Marty!

Taller? He’s 23

Go and stand next to him. You would be surprised how big he is now.

I’ve never stood next to him before so i’ve got nothing to compare to :grinning:.
He definitely seems to have bulked up a bit though. Be interesting to see how it translates. I’m still yet to be convinced about him

Unfortunately one contest will stuck in people’s minds for obvious reasons. Have to admit that stat is mighty surprising though. He’s become such a good intercept mark who can come off his man, but I wouldn’t have picked one on one’s to be a real strength to his game at this stage.

1 Like

They all fit into my best 22 easily with 2 KPD. Even if you choose to have 3 KPD in Hurley, Ambrose and Hartley then you simply have one on the bench.

1 Like

Always having one on the bench, they run hard and at high intensity. We most likely will also play a back 7.

1 Like

I agree with the back 7 concept. But BJ is also likely in there…

I actually think with Saad and Gleesons 1on1 defensive skills being underrated a lot of people will be surprised if Baguley loses his spot. They simply don’t all fit. In addition to those McG may play small game time back there (although unlikely) and McNiece is coming on nicely. There is also the hyped up Ridley. Competition for General defender spots is actually probably our hottest contested.

Gleeson
Goddard
Baguley
McNiece
McKenna
Saad

Ridley
Redman

We still played the back 7 defenders this year at times (Kelly 7th) + Goddard as a mid.

If McGrath moving to midfield then Saad takes his spot. So nothing changes that much, one less actually so can fit all in easily.

Yes they do all fit.

And No, Baguley’s defensive skills are on a different level to anybody else’s on the list bar McGrath and Ambrose.

I guess he looks a bit like one, but I wouldn’t say spitting image!

Please don’t be too bad, please be an ankle :weary: