#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

I presume it’s what they call a talar dome fracture.
When I did placement at the Circus school last year every second kid had them and they all happened doing tumbling/somersaults (iirc most common mechanism was coming up short on a backwards somersault).
In other words; as much about angle/direction of force as the amount.

4 Likes

What would be the prognosis if that were the case?

With the surgery and dislocation I doubt he’d be fully weight bearing before 6-8 weeks in a best case scenario.
Any break or fracture to a load bearing bone is basically an automatic 2 months before it is fully healed (in a healthy, young person with no complications)

1 Like

Ridley wasn’t taking intercept marks at VFL level. What makes people think he can turn on this part of his game at AFL level, on the back of an interrupted preseason? At the moment he is winning a very high proportion of his possessions on the outside and needs to develop his contested game.

1 Like

Ridley off the back of a serious injury performed well at VFL level on return but is getting a little hyped in my opinion.

He’s still a fair way off being a consistent performer at AFL level.

1 Like

Because it was what he was known for at U18 level. That and really good disposal.

1 Like

Yep. Marty is sorely missed.

There are a great many misinformed propagating the myth that Marty can’t put on weight. On the proviso that the club listed player stats are correct:

Marty is currently 191-cm tall and weighs 86-kilos. When Marty joined Essendon in late 2012 he was 186-cm tall and 70-kilos, That’s a 22.857 per cent increase in body weight over 5 years. Given that Marty’s only 23-years and 7 months old and hopefully has many years left playing footy, if he keeps up his current rate of weight gain he’ll weigh 115-kilos at age 29,. Which is about the same weight as most Blitzers.

Mathematicians may argue my percentages and projections, but the fact is - Marty has grown 5-centimetres and put on 16-kilos while he has been at Essendon. Go figure.

16 Likes

No wonder he is getting injured… they’ve bulked him up too much.

6 Likes

Good points. Furthermore, at his current rate of development he will also be 197cm (to go with the 115 kg) at age 29. This will make him very hard to match up on.

If he plays to the same age as Fletch, he will be a monster.

I cant wait.

5 Likes

Hmm, 197 -cm and 115kg. I’d be questioning his Body Mass Index.
Then again - Tom Hawkins 198-cm and 110-kg.

Well Blitz is always desperate for a back capable of playing on monster forwards.
Who would have thought Marty will be the solution?

1 Like

You need to remember that body volume increases at roughly cubed the height difference.

So volume up 8%, and “real” mass improvement is only 13% per volume.

If you weren’t paying attention to the VFL game: still in moon boot and on crutches.

1 Like

Decent indication of Marty’s qualities that he’s been at the VFL for all 3 games so far, including in the howling wind and rain at Willy last week, on crutches. In the rooms talking to the boys, helping and encouraging.

36 Likes

Pretty poor though that he’s not posting on blitz to take some pressure off @theDJR. Especially at Willy

5 Likes

Leave DJR’s willy out of this

3 Likes

didn’t realise how important this bloke was for us until he got injured.

@theDJR is injured?

1 Like

Everyone was too busy saying how he needed to eat all day while clapping each other on the back at their wit.

2 Likes

Saw the poor guy on Saturday at Vic Park.

Had smile on his face but the novelty of a moon boot must have worn off a long time ago.

He’s a quality person & will come back bigger & better

1 Like