#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

He sits close to Dea in the defensive group. Both good intercept markers ( which we are short of) , Dea is a tougher, harder bodied and courageous player but seems to lack the desire to provide the attacking run/carry/deliver that Marty gives us. I think right now we are accepting the lack of physical presence, and rating Marty higher for his attacking qualities.

Since we are trying to play through the middle Marty needs to be extra careful when selecting those inboard kicks out of the pocket, because turnovers there will concede almost certain goals. Mind you even BJ gets those wrong from time to time.

1 Like

Marty is as courageous as they get.

7 Likes

Is Marty light enough that he float this weekend at the Gabba? Float through opposition that is.

Agree. I have seen him running with the flight of the ball many times. But I think I am justified in saying Matty Dea is courageous:

"…A stellar year from Matt Dea in defence has seen him awarded the ‘Adam Ramanauskas Most Courageous’ award at the 2016 Crichton Medal…

Playing in the backline, Dea’s immense courage and willingness to put his body on the line earned him the respect of the coaches, his teammates and fans alike…".

In spite of that, Marty is being picked ahead of him

I love Dea also.
Then again - I love everyone.
I’m that kinda guy.

2 Likes

*bangs head on wall

3 Likes

I’m a Gleeson fan. He is the type of player which some supporters will always be frustrated with-simply because he will produce the odd heinous clanger which may cost a goal and lodge in the emotional memory bank of the predisposed (refer to the Stanton effect).

I have heard people question what is his actual weapon? Not fast, not big etc etc. What I like about Gleeson and what will increasingly become his ‘weapon’ is his ability and willingness to make the risky play. He attacks the corridor by foot and looks for opportunities to split the opposition open with an intelligent switch of play. I think he is already above average overhead and this will improve as he slowly adds strength to his wiry (but broad) frame.

Well and truly sold on Marty, and the coaches recognise his value too as reflected in his continued selection. He isn’t a finished product yet, but he will be an important part of this next rise IMO.

5 Likes

Do the right thing and no one notices, do the wrong thing and no one forgets.

12 Likes

We have a good team unit going at the minute and Marty is very much a part of it.

4 Likes

So that must be why the top teams demand quality more often and consistently and teams like Carlton still have Liam Jones on the list.

2 Likes

Liam Jines = Super Spud. Coming soon to a vegie patch near you.

1 Like

… you root ONE Goat …

4 Likes

Or just one of your Wife’s friends

1 Like

Your ex/wife has goats for friends?

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with goats…according to Spiros.
Just don’t get caught.

I suspect she did and used them for sacrifices to the Devil.

1 Like

Our Ex’s may have been related.

2 Likes

I know where you’re coming from.

1 Like

They are all related

Actually when you have two or more ex-Wives, where once they hated each other, they then become close friends. Enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of stuff.

A collective for ex-Wives has to be a murder or perhaps a coven.

1 Like

Ffs. Has been horrible. Never been a fan. Please bring in McNeice or Conor.