#8 Marty Reppin' Gleeson - no more Marty Party

Good on the right match up but obviously had some problems tonight. Let someone claim his spot from VFL before dropping him.

1 Like

The amount of times this guy gets caught holding the ball is insane.

Has a poor footy IQ that hurts his teammates.

2 Likes

I’m sticking fat with Marty. We’ve gone through a whole heap of HBF and he’s one of the better ones of the past few seasons. There is no way Hibberd takes that mark in the last quarter. Everyone can bag him as much as they like I think this bloke is a real goer and produces when we really need it.

10 Likes

I doubt your in the minority. Haters just gonna hate. And some haters love blitz.

2 Likes

feel for him gets smacked in the back of the head no free then they kick the goal

rated worst afield tonight in rankings

really want to see mcneice’s kicking

straight swap thanks.

Stuff that. throw in Franga!

I see his positives, and what he offers the side.

I don’t see how he is seemingly locked in the best 22 though.

Was patchy last week, and had a stinker this week, and there are a few guys eyeing of his spot.

2 Likes

I think we lack defenders who are confident to take a bounce and carry the ball forward. McGrath can but he is only 2 games in. Walla can but he is forward. Dempsey did but he is gone. Dea doesn’t do this.

I think that is the primary reason Gleeson is in. He takes the game forward and is confident playing direct. You cant have a backline of all safe and conservative players who don’t want to run through zone presses etc.

Its a team balance decision.

6 Likes

I notied Dea was trying a bit of this out when we played box Hill. Not sure how he went this week with the dogs. Did anyone go?

Dea didn’t play VFL. Was travelling emergency.

I though McNeice was BOG until half time in the VFL.

McNeice and McKenna are two that can do that.

1 Like

IIRC he had a slow start to the season last year, then in the second half he was quite good, enough to turn my opinion of him around. Maybe he needs a few games to really get going, and could be worth persevering with. Question is, how long do we persevere?

1 Like

The positives are his rebound, endurance, ability to play small and tall and his will to get to contests.

His size still worries me the most and is the root cause of most of the negstives that happen with him.

I was pulling my hair out with his composure in traffic last night. The goal we gave up on the three quarter time should not happen. The missed spoil as third man in to support Hurls shoukd have been a player powering through and killing the contest. Instead it was a goal to Brisbane. Just basic stuff.

I agree in regards to not having too many conservative types in the backline, very good post L2L.

Marty is quite a creative footballer who is not adverse to taking a risk or two during a game.

When the risk doesn’t come off it can sometimes look disastrous but when they do (more often than not) it really opens up the ground through the middle and creates good, clean, quick entry into the F50.

I believe that’s why the coaches love Marty and continue to persist with him in the 22.

Does some good things, but makes more than his share of mistakes too. He’s there though for his run, something which we lack out of the back half. Take him out and you have to replace it, in which case McKenna is the only real option.

I rate McKenna, and think he will be a very good player for years to come, and his dash and kicking out of the back half is much better than Gleeson’s. The other option is Dea. What he adds is a bit of defensive stability we could do with, and some intercept marking.

Personally I’d be looking to change the mix. Hurley is still to properly hit his straps and until he does we have to make up the difference. I’d be inclined to replace Hartley with Brown. Hartley has been good, but he’s a purely defensive player whereas Brown offers a bit more footy smarts and intercept marking.

As it stands our defence is the area of the ground that concerns me most right now. We got scored against too easily last night, and I’d kill for a Rory Laird type who could generate quality run and carry from the back half. It will improve, but in the meantime have to get right the mix between stopping the opposition and creating attacking opportunities.

1 Like

We gave Dempsey about 11 years to stop making stupid mistakes and he never really did. Gleeson’s gunna be alright IMHO. Still turned the ball over too much but didn’t try and run through seven tackles

Not sure who he had for most of the night - definitely Bell for bits of it - did he have more than a goal kicked on him?

Feel like he would benefit if he put on a bit of size.
You can literally see the fear in his face when is flying for a ball or is about to get tackled by an opposition gorilla forward.

Tough one. I still look to the peak Geelong’s back half as the standard and they were not only staunch but a serious brains trust. Rarely got beaten, rarely got flustered. Marty gets half way there and then stutters. Back in consecutive coaches to know that it’s a learning thing and not an intrinsic deficiency. But like you say, Demps

I reckon you’ve summed that up pretty well L2L.

2 Likes

Opposed to lewis Taylor, when taylor played as high forward.
At times looked like he had Bell or Robinson