Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Noises from the club is they want him to go another year. Hope so. Adds lots of value to the team and maybe, just maybe, Essendon can do some serious damage next year for a bloke (and everyone else associated with the club of course) who has given so much of himself for the last 6 years. Dead set champ!

6 Likes

I reckon he’ll coach, he’s made for it.

6 Likes

Slower than a wet week but he still covers some J’s. Saved a goal (mark in the goal square) that was purely because he worked harder to get back than anyone else

could go one more year at this rate, would love to see him on a forward flank

I’d be ok giving him a 1 year deal on a reduced rate provided he isn’t guaranteed a spot and is prepared to play plenty of VFL if his form isn’t up to it

2 Likes

And he transitions into our coaching ranks after that.

Would love him in the coaching ranks.
Just doesn’t seem like the type that would play out half a season or more in the VFL

I think he’d rather spend a few years golfing, than punching 50+ hours per week as an assistant coach

I dunno. Maybe.
He’s very honest, very realistic, and very team orientated.
I’d certainly pose the question.

Decision should be made at years end, not after a couple of good wins.

1 Like

No to one more year please. Typical post-win bullishness. Achieves very little. Rip the band-aid off.

Redman looks like he’s at least worthy of auditioning for the role.

If he were to become an assitant coach what role would it be? Nick Riedwoldt say’s Goddard has one of the best footy minds in the buisness.

Employ him as an opposition analyst (like Ross Lyon wanted Hirdy to do).

Definitely a coach in the making. Siren had barely sounded and he was deep in conversation with one of our players (can’t remember who). Certainly didn’t look like chit chat. Definitely like analysis of the game. Not the first time he’s done this. I don’t know of any other player who is so focused. Would love him to stay on as a coach after he retires.

8 Likes

Myers says BJ should play on.

Experienced Essendon midfielder David Myers has backed in veteran Bomber Brendon Goddard to play on at season’s end.

Goddard – who has played a remarkable 325 senior games – showed he has lost none of his ability in an impressive performance in the side’s strong victory over West Coast last Thursday, and Myers said he would love for Goddard to stay at The Hangar.

“From a personal point of view, I can’t speak highly enough of BJ (Goddard). The impact he’s had on me personally and the club in general since he’s come has been really profound,” Myers said on SEN on Monday.

“The boys love him and he’s played such an important role not only with his output in terms of his impact on games, but the intangible stuff. The leadership aspect and his experience and how he sees the game I think is pretty widely respected and second to none.

“If he’s fit and healthy and, most importantly, he’s got the passion and the want to go again I see no reason why he shouldn’t and I’d love to play with him for as long as I can.”

The team’s impressive victory last week made it four wins from Essendon’s last five outings and Myers said he always had faith that the side could find its best form after a disappointing start to the season.

“Internally we’ve always been pretty confident in terms of the talent that we have on the list, it was just trying to get everyone to mesh together in a way that would lead to us playing better complete games and you get the results after that,” he said.

“The reality is the team changed a fair bit this year as to how it’s been over the last year or two anyway.

“We’ve worked through that, the guys just stuck at it and it’s good that we’ve started to get some results on the board, some reward for effort.”

Sunday’s Tackling Childhood Cancer Game against North Melbourne will raise crucial funds and awareness for Challenge, which helps support children and families living with cancer.

22 children will run out onto Etihad Stadium with the team this weekend and Myers said the occasion “puts footy in perspective”.

“There’s a lot of attention on football and how it gets built up and the importance of it, but there’s a lot more going on in the world.

“These kids show far more courage than any of us do day in, day out. So it’s a small part we can play and try and raise as much money as we can.

“The kids will be running out on the ground with us on the weekend, which is great. Any small part we can play is awesome, that’s one of the benefits of footy is that you can shine a light on others that need a bit of help.”

7 Likes

3 on 2 off for bj next year.

He’d certainly be able to provide a lot to the likes of Redman, Ridley, Francis, Z-T

No thanks. I said a while back that he’s still capable of them kind of performances against west coast due to the guys sheer class, but it’s becoming less frequent and he’s definitely slowing up. What’s people’s obsession with making sure the player in question is absolutely cooked before they retire? I don’t want to see BJ being a senior listed player next year and running around in the VFL.

5 Likes

I think we can keep him on for a 12-14 game season, but he must spend more time on the sidelines. The problem is a don’t think he could handle not playing.

It would also be good to see him in a development coaching role with the first and second year players in the VFL at the same time.

1 Like

if theres any senior player that i reckon should stay, even if they are a tiny bit past it, its goddard. reckon his teaching and attitude is invaluable, and he still plays a role, albeit a smaller one, in the team.

Hes played every game this year so barring a complete cliff falling, youd be getting a fair bit of footy out of him if he were to go around one more time.

2 Likes