Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

If we are playing finals in 2019 I can’t think of anyone in the universe who would be hungrier to drag a team with him than BJ.

That has to be a huge factor.

4 Likes

New celebrity endorser for advanced hair

We have 9 games left (we hope more) that will show us, him and the club whether he should go on next season, If I was a betting man I’d bet BJ will have a big end to the season he’s just that sort of bloke.

Is he still in our top 10-15 players? Yes.

Will he still be next year? Yes.

Can he help us win a flag? Yes.

No brainer. Plays on. And I’m sure he will happily take a salary cut for good of team also.

His game has never been based on pace. It’s endurance, footy smarts and ball use if which he still exhibits weekly.

Matthew Boyd was what 34 during Dogs flag? And All Australian maybe even IIRC?

8 Likes

Will retire at the end of this year as a premiership player.

Fitting and well deserved.

9 Likes

The end can come very very quickly and while it hasn’t done that yet for Goddard it could quite possibly next year.

He has shown multiple signs over the last 2 years, especially this year, of his age becoming a factor.

He goes to ground much easier than he used to, his decision making and awareness has slowed considerably and he get’s caught with the ball completely unaware of where that player came from a lot now and has kicking has gone from being elite to inconsistent.

We are not in a position where we need a senior player around a group of kids, we have plenty of mid range and experienced players to guide the inexperienced players through.

photoshopped-pic-of-bj-face-with-heppels-dreadlocks.jpeg

2 Likes

I tend to agree with this but if he’s prepared to play some VFL if his form warrants it and the club is prepared to drop him and he’s prepared to take a significant pay cut, i’d definitely keep him on

1 Like

It’s a premature discussion imo. Make the call at the end of the year with all the information available.

2 Likes

Plus it is his and clubs call not ours.

He might be quite happy to take his chances playing some, resting some and playing the odd vfl, on the basis that something might just might brew that hasn’t quite paid off for him yet. If he goes on on that basis who is anyone else to decide it’s a bad look for him to play some vfl, or rest up regularly? He still covers 15 kms often enough, he’s never been quick but his kms are not dropping off. So long as there’s enough speed around him (McKenna and Fanta variously out and walla limping was a BIG combined factor in our extended crap form imo, with other slow guys in the mix). I say let BJ stay on if he wants.

Hate to say we owe him. But we owe him.

4 Likes

Lol

And you know what. He doesn’t think so. Which really says something about the bloke I think.
If he thought he had something still to offer, he would want to go on, but if he, or the club, though we would be better served by his retiring, he would happily do that too. Is an amazingly realistic, and team orientated man is B J Goddard.

16 Likes

He has also stated this very bluntly to me as well.

He is an impressive leader and actually just a really good human.

6 Likes

I don’t think he should be offered another playing deal for him after this year. He has started to show quite a few signs of slowing up this season.

I would be ecstatic if we got him as an assistant coach though.

I don’t think he has shown anymore signs of slowing this year than he had already shown the year before, or the year before that.

He has had off games. But he is very much a role player, and slots in wherever asked.

He is always the 22nd player in my best 22. My head knows that he adds value, but it never knows where exactly on the field that will (or should) be.

1 Like

Ready made coach in waiting. If we don’t pick him up, the Saints will.

1 Like

That’s a whank.

I would love him to experience success with us and he will be a damn good coach somewhere.

1 Like

Development coach next year for mine. Been a great servant of the Club.

Potential senior coach at some stage.